Christians and the Corps
Create Post

Christians and the Corps

First of all, it is important to note that I am not a "poolie", merely a "potential poolie," if you will. I'm not 100% sure if it's appropriate for me to be posting in here not having gained that (informal) title, so I apologize if I am out of line in that regard.

Anyways. On a seperate discussion board, a topic came up about Christians serving in the military. I am typically a very introverted, quiet, religious kind of guy. For instance, I don't practice sex before marriage, or get really drunk, etc. Now, that's what I do, but I certainly wouldn't criticize other Marines for their habits if I joined.

So, in this other topic on another board, I asked if this sort of attitude/personality of mine would give me any trouble if I decided to join the Crops. The first person that responded, unfortunately, confirmed my worst fears. I won't repeat his story exactly as he told it w/out his permission, but it should suffice to say that, while at Court House Bay, training to be in the USMC Reserves, he literally had his entire room basically destroyed/his rack thrown into the hallway/etc. every single day for two months, with literally everyone he was with (besides two other, equally mistreated Christians) trying as much as possible to make his life a living hell. He never criticized anyone for their actions, he was totally shunned simply for his beliefs and his resulting (non)actions (i.e., not getting drunk/laid along with everyone else etc.). This wasn't way back in the 70's or 80's or something like that, either, we are talking as recent as 2002.

Should I expect a similarily hellish life if I go ahead with plans to join the Marine Corps reserves (or AD, for that matter)? I don't think I could take it, getting treated by Marines who are supposed to be your brothers as if you were a terrorist at Gitmo or something simply for being a Christian.

Are these experiences that I had described to me something I should count on/expect on a regular basis if I join the Corps, given my introverted/quiet/religious personality (again, assuming I don't give others grief for their beliefs/practices)? Or does this sound more like an isolated incident in some way?

Finally, I figure it couldn't hurt to ask if the level of abuse would vary depending on which branch one is serving in?

Thank you very much for taking the time to read/respond to this post. Please also do not take this as some sort of subliminal insult to the Corps, I've never been there...I'm merely going on the words of those who have. Thanks again.

dude i know exactly what ur saying but in my opinion, its just random.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Maggot I agree with PooleeNGN's opinion and Im positive that this was a random occurance. There are many Christians serving in the Corps and they are not treated any differently by the Corps or their brothers. Something is missing from that thread posters story. I have known many Marines that live their lives as you do and if anything they are the most respected by their peers. They are the ones that can you turn to in times of great fear and trouble and the Marines that it seems you can always count on to help. Had a Marine been subjected to that abuse repeatedly it would have been noticed by a non commissioned officer and dealt with immediately. Had that Marine reported the incidents, it would have been considered hazing and believe me dealt with most severely. Please dont let the fear of religous persecution or hazing cloud your decision making process.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Maggot

"if a man should deny me before men, I so shall deny him before my father"

Basically it says "who cares, your job is to keep your faith strong."

People will act like animals no matter the people involved ot the situation... Do what you think you need... and if someone has a problem with it, so be it

Agree with Static.

I would add that my Bible sez to turn the cheek "one time." The first shot is free. If there is a second attempt, I would put the offending party's body in a hurt locker.

Too many times we try to be "nicer then Jesus." Jesus was not a wimp - nor does He expect His kids to be. There will always be those that confuse one being a Christian, with one being a pacifist. Those that do simply need a lesson in "temple cleansing!"

Food for thought.

Steve

Maggot,

I concur with the other responders, if it happened at all it was a random occurance. I served with a guy who was very Christian in the PI. Honestly I didn't know him very well, myself, not being very Christian, took advantage of all of the opportunities Subic Bay had to offer while on liberty!

Anyway, the point is, this religious Marine was not hazed or harrased in any way. He did his job well and was respected for that. While on liberty he wouldn't go out on the town with the others, instead he chose to take advantage of other activities - i.e. scuba diving, PT, just chillin', etc. At the end of the day, the true measure of a Marine is not how much he can drink, how many women he can sleep with, or anything of the sort - its how well he serves the Corps, performs his mission, and is true to his brothers.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Maggot,

I also concur with everything that was said on this post.Your faith should not be a question in whether or not you join the Marines. If your fellow Marines give you a hard time for your beliefs and that you will not tolerate their chosen lifestyle.You don't need to hang out with them.You need to work and train side by side with them but it is not necessary to associate with them on liberty.

Again this is a two edge sword they need not give you a hard time for your faith and beliefs. And you need not try to reach someone that does not want to be reached.

No one to my knowledge was hazed for their belief and religious preference while I served in the Marine Corps.And if you do find you are being hazed or mistreated for your beliefs report the culprit to your chain of command for further action.

Where a problem came was trying to reform or force feed a religion or belief on another. In my opinion that is best left up to the Navy chaplain to preach the sermon.

However I do believe in the age old adage that "there are no atheists in foxholes." I served under a bunch of "religious" people and I led allot of "religious" people over my career and not once did they try to force their beliefs on me. All from what I have seen or read are transgressors.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall

I know I'm not a Marine, but I'm a Christian, and I'm the adopted "Mom" of several Marines and poolees...

Most of the Marines I've met have a basic faith in G-d, some have a deeper faith than others...but that faith remains. Your oath, when you are sworn in, is not only to the Corps, but to G-d as well. Read it

Some of these experienced Marines around here I'm sure can confirm, that their core values are honor courage commitment, but there is also G-d, Country, Corps

Have no fear, you already know that's not the spirit of a Christian. You also know that there's nothing more in this life to be proud of than earning the title of Marine, and serving your country and you G-d.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

but you have to remember....

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman777
    Agree with Static.

I would add that my Bible sez to turn the cheek "one time." The first shot is free. If there is a second attempt, I would put the offending party's body in a hurt locker.

Too many times we try to be "nicer then Jesus." Jesus was not a wimp - nor does He expect His kids to be. There will always be those that confuse one being a Christian, with one being a pacifist. Those that do simply need a lesson in "temple cleansing!"

Food for thought.

Steve

during that time it was the common practice to "backhand" when you slapped someone. *i.e. left hand would impact with your left side of face* so if you turn the other cheek you are preventing them from hitting you a second time....

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    This wasn't way back in the 70's or 80's or something like that, either, we are talking as recent as 2002.
    Do a search engine on hazing. I think I also recall reading an article on this site awhile back. There was allot of hazing going on around this time and a list of Marines got busted. I live around CLNC and I have not heard or read of any more incidents in the Jacksonville Daily News or the base Globe paper. Again these may have been isolated but go with your gut and if you have a problem use the chain of command. Things are also quelling about religion because of the Air Force Academy incidents.

Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall

I'm a Christian, many in my platoon are, and I've never seen anyone mistreated, or abused either verbally or physically for it. There is a Jewish guy in our platoon that the guys poke fun at sometimes, but it's all in fun, not to be malicious, and he laughs and goes along with it. You're not going to have anything bad happen to you in the Marines just cause you're a Christian.

Maggot-------- Don't let that story get to you becouse that is what the guy is trying to do. You say you have a wife. In my 8 years in the Marines the married guys who lived there religon always seemed to have a better marage life than those who did not. Sometimes it takes guts to keep going. Always belive and trust in your GOD.

hey thanks for asking this ? Ive been wondering the same thing for a while. I would also like to thank all those who put my mind at ease by responding.

by the way. maggot, ive definately have enjoyed my 9 months as a poolee. I hope you do decide to join. give me write. Im interested in Knowing what your final decision is.

Thank you very much to everyone who has replied, it's all been really helpful. You've really put a new light on things.

(BTW, I'm actually not married, I was just saying that I don't believe in practicing sex outside of marriage - but thanks for the remark just the same.)

The way you guys described it is basically the way I always imagined it would probably be. Hopefully the story I got was just an odd occurance (or "not quite complete"...). Thanks again.

Be sure to let us all know of your decision when it is finalized.

Take care, Maggot.

Thread Information