Medical-Age/DQ questions
Create Post
    Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Medical-Age/DQ questions

I'd like to become a marine and have not yet spoken to a recruiter. I've done some research and it looks like I have at least 2 DQs for which I'd need waivers.

First is that I'm a type I diabetic. Any form of diabetes mellitus is listed as a disqualification. Second is that I've never served and I'm 34 turning 35 in May. Maximum age to enlist is (I believe) 35 in the armed forces by statute, but 28 in the Marine Corps. I think the only thing I might age qualify for is the Army reserve.

I'm a highly motivated college grad who speaks french and in good health and want to talk to the recruiter. I don't want to waste his time. Will I be wasting his time? I really want to become a Marine because they are the best and reflect honor, duty and professionalism like no other branch. If I can't get into the armed forces at all I'm wondering how I might best serve my country.

Thanks.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    andy,

sorry dude...but being diabetic is a permanant DQ. it can nont be waived, ever if you were prior service.

viet vet who went into the army reserve. tried to get back in to old reserve unit just prior to desert storm and found that i had become type II diabetic and got PDQ'd. (3 years to retirement).

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the tip. It looks pretty hopeless then. Maybe I'll apply to the NSA or CIA. I can't really think of how else to serve. Andy

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Have you considered maybe working with Homeland Security related positions? Border Patrol? National Park Service? US.Customs? (especially being bilingual)

Thread Information