Referral Woes
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Referral Woes

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Referral Woes

I'm having trouble getting my referrals in. I'm talking to two or three guys right now, but I can't get anyone to take the first step and talk to my recruiter. Does anyone have any "words of wisdom?"

Just to let you know, this is what I've done to try and get referrals up till now:

1. Printed off a bunch of copies of my recruiter's business card and have been handing them out to friends.

2. I've been talking to people about my joining and all the upsides to joining the Marine Corps.

3. I've been talking to people and trying to get them to call my recruiter.

4. I've given the names of all my friends and other possible recruits to my SSRG.

Still I am without a single referral as of now. I enlisted last month and I ship out 20060807. I got about 9 months to convince 2 (or more) people to join... and I'm not having much luck with the methods I'm using. Am I just too impatient? Or is there something else I should do?

Recruiting is sales, and just like sale, its a contact sport. The more people you make contact with the better your chances . Also , your appearance. Are you trying to convince someone to join and you look like a bag of doughnuts. If so try changing that. Act as if. Marines are cocky , sure of themselves and very confident. Obviously, you are not a Marine yet, but try to portray that image every time you leave your home. Make sure that whatever it is that your trying to sell, you believe in it. Otherwise if your timid and weak people will see that.
    ABC ....Always Be Closing. No matter where you are always be looking for that one kid who might need something to do that summer. That one kid who looks like they need focus and direction in their life.
    I hope this helps you out.

Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the advice outlaw. I'll do that.

In those 9 months you could easily earn 15 college credits which will make you a contract PFC, if you took a full course load it would only take 2-3 months.

I thought you had to have an Associates Degree to get PFC?
    I didnt know about the 15 college credit thing...Im leaving for bootcamp PI as soon as I get my degree from school.

Credits
    Savings
    Yeah, I heard PFC for 15 credits too. If you have your associates, I thought you could get Lance Corperal... can anyone confirm/deny?

I have never heard so much bullcrap in my life.. In the Old Corps the only way you got PFC out of bootcamp was to be the platoon honor man and blues award. You didnt get PFC because you referred another person you had to earn it. What in the hell has My Marine Corps come too. Good thing I am no longer in My beloved Marine Corps because i would take out a personal venditta that all PFC out of Bootcamp would be shiltz details for at least a year..

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I hear you Cowboy loud and clear that was my initial reaction as well. You and I served at the same time and yes there was only one Pfc and he was the platoon honor man. I now have no problem with the current Marine Corps Order as I have learned of its benefits to the Corps. Do you have any idea how hard it is to recruit two keepers these days? You may find it interesting that Eagle Scouts also are assured Pfc upon graduation as well as those with college credits and ROTC experience. Rank is supposed to be earned on leadership and knowlege so I no longer can argue the point. And I have even seen some LCpl's standing tall on graduation day at MCRD but they are truly worthy of it also. And talk about old Corps what about Captain Presley O'Bannon achieving his rank without Boot Camp, OCS or PLC is he any less worthy of his commission?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by ASFAB93
    I'm having trouble getting my referrals in. I'm talking to two or three guys right now, but I can't get anyone to take the first step and talk to my recruiter. Does anyone have any "words of wisdom?"

Just to let you know, this is what I've done to try and get referrals up till now:

1. Printed off a bunch of copies of my recruiter's business card and have been handing them out to friends.

2. I've been talking to people about my joining and all the upsides to joining the Marine Corps.

3. I've been talking to people and trying to get them to call my recruiter.

4. I've given the names of all my friends and other possible recruits to my SSRG.

Still I am without a single referral as of now. I enlisted last month and I ship out 20060807. I got about 9 months to convince 2 (or more) people to join... and I'm not having much luck with the methods I'm using. Am I just too impatient? Or is there something else I should do?
    If any of them like to work out then take them to PT, they'll pretty much have to talk to the recruiter then. When you do get one to talk to your recruiter, make sure they know that if they go to the office that its not to sign up, just to get information. And after you get someone talking to the recruiter, let him/her do their job and you'll have a refferal.

Credits
    Savings
    Good idea DN17, I'll give it a shot. I'm also enrolled in my local Community College for some credit hours as well. I should have about 18 by the time I graduate from high school. That will get me Pfc in any case.

Make sure those credits are not being used for high school graduation. I would have 15 college credits by the end of the school year but since they are being used for high school graduation they dont count towards a meterious promotion.

Credits
    Savings

Credits are good

I'm attending college as a completely separate deal from my high school. I only need 2.5 credits to graduate anyways...

Yeah, I heard PFC for 15 credits too. If you have your associates, I thought you could get Lance Corperal... can anyone confirm/deny?
    The only way you can really get LCpl is if you earn platoon honor man, or if you have prior service in the Armed Forces.

To get PFC out of Boot Camp
    2 Referrals
    3 Years of JROTC
    15 College Hours (not accredited for HS graduation)

To Get LCpl out of Boot Camp
    Prior Service
    Platoon Honor Man (with contract PFC)

Depees'
    EDUCATION WILL GET YOU EVERY WHERE!! Points towards promotion, possibilities of MECEP, OCS, Warrant Officer all that, if you want to make a career of it start working on school. You will see most 1st Shirts have a college degree and very few SgtMajors do not have one.

As for the legitimacy of Contract PFC's towards the old salts... Times change things change.. but if you have someone that has shown both maturity and leadership abilities why not?? 3 Years of JROTC has pretty much taught most of us (i got contracted) close order drill, Sword Manual, Rifle Manual, Uniform rules and regulations, in addition the ability to command platoon to regiment sized units. Lots of Leadership potential

As well College Classes, if you are 17 or 18 and have excelled to the point that you are taking college classes or 25 and have a college degree and wish to be an Enlisted Marine why not give you something for the hard work and dedication you have shown.

Leadership its taught and molded and with the right DI's and leaders after boot camp you can be formed in to a **** hot Leader of Marines or a ****bird..

At the same time I have seen guys that make LCpl out of Tech school that have no true leadership ability or experience but the time was up and they were promoted.. the first 2 are give-me you keep clean and they are given to you.. the rest are earned and you can tell the ones that have the ability because they make Cpl and Sgt faster than those that dont cut the cheese..

As well

Credits
    Savings

Thanks VA Marine!

Thanks for answering all of my questions! That was a really helpful post

Thread Information