Interesting Marine Corps Questions
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User Free Member intel-ops's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Interesting Marine Corps Questions

Hello Hardchargers:

I posted some of these questions on another tread but it had expired , here it goes again:

1. What is pogey bait?

2. What does LDO stand for and what does it mean?

3. What is a John Wayne and what is its correct nomenclature?

4. Name 3 "C Ration" meal types and identify one item that was removed after Viet Nam?

5. What does JOB stand for and what is it?

6. What is a P*** Cutter?

7. What is an irish pennant?

8. How are warrant officers addressed?

9. What does a 72 or a 96 mean to a Marine?

10. What is field day and what day of the week does it usually occur?

11. Which 2nd Marine Division commander held every rank from private all the way to 4 star general (except warrant ranks) and eventually became commandant?

12. What does swoop circle mean to a Marine?

Registered User Free Member MarineVet05's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Smile Flash Back

Intel-ops, I can't answer all those questions, but it does bring back a sh** load of memories. Thank for the flash back. Semper Fi Sarge.

LA Flahive
    Cpl. USMC 1986-90

1. pogey bait: candy/junkfood
    7. IP's: those tiny pieces of string on uniforms
    8. the same way officers are?
    10. clean up....friday

thats all i got

Talking

2 limited duty officer
    3 a military can opener nom. P-38
    6 the garrison cover, old style
    7 excess thread coming out from the sems of a uniform
    8 sir, warrant officer, Mr and last name
    9 72 hours or 3 days off 96 hours or 4 days off
    12 that is where Marines go to catch a ride for a 72 or a 96 refer to #9
    10 field day is barracks clean up and it is on Thursday nights for inspection on Friday A.M. to see if you are going to get the week-end off.

yeah I was going to say our field days were always on a Thursday.

Marine Trivia...

1: pogey bait: candy bars, gedunk...from term used on board ship

2: LDO: Limited Duty Officer.....origninally went from enlisted to 2nd LT, then Chief Warrant Officer to 1st LT now Chief Warrant Officer to Captain.

3. John Wayne: P-38 can opener...came with C-rations....4 to a case.....mine dates back to 1968 (original).

4. Many things..ham and limas, B-1, B-2 B-3 unites and cigaretters were removed in the early to mid '70s.

5. JOB: Junk on the Bunk or "things on the springs"..major inspection when all uniforms and 782 gear was laid out systmaticlly on the rack for an inspection....usually Bn Cmdr or higher....

6. P-ss cutter........also a "c--t cap", "fore and aft cap" but actually is the Garrison Cover.

7: Irish pennants.......lo to the individual who fell out with these little threads/strings hanging from their uniforms.

8: A Warrant Officer is addressed as "SIR".......or Gunner or Mr.

9: 72/96: either one is a long week end......either a 72 hour pass (3 days) or 96 hour pass (4 days)

10: Field days were held on Thursday nights for all hands, to include those living ashore.......major cleaning of the barracks and police of outside area.......move all furniture out of barracks or to one side, scrubb down, lay coat of wax and buff.......others cleaned heads so that you could eat off deck and drink outta the "sh-tters".

11: Gen Al Grey

12: Swoop Circe was an area located adjacent to Goettge Field House at Camp Lejeune during Viet Nam.....drivers would go to the circle and an MP would use a bull horn and annouce that he had a vehicle going to Detroit Michigan (or where ever) and could take 2/3 riders...those wanting to go to Detroit would go to the vehicle and make arrangements as to driving, gas etc and when/where to be picked up for return........in 1969, there was a special news report for folks travelin along the East Coast....if you wanted to find the fastest/shortest way, get behind a vehicle that had a red Camp Lejeune sticker on the rear bumper (back then we had Base Decals on windshield and rear bumper"....

Do I win the can of ham and limas?
    Semper Fi

USMC.......1968-1998

Registered User Free Member intel-ops's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Looks like the CWO wins the contest with all of the correct and most complete answers. It was fun thinking up some of those questions. I havent thought about many of them for years. Thanks for the replies.

Here is 3 more for the road:

1. At the Camp Lejeune field house, 2nd Mar Div gym, what was the area called where the boxers trained?

2. What is SOS?

3. Complete this sentence (LOL)..."Buy me drinkie, I love you....."

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

To the winners, go the spoils.

Take your pick and pass them on. LOL

Last edited by Osotogary; 03-07-06 at 10:45 PM.

i would love to get my hands on the MRE chicken and rice......i could eat that even night....

#8- Lip Stick LT.

But not in hearing range of the Gunner.

Trivia follow up........

as to question # 4, there were 3 types of"C's"...

B-1: had main meal (if you can call it meal/food) but had can with cookies and crackers.......

B-2: had main meal(?) with crackers and cocoa powder

B-3: had main meal (?) with crackers and candy...

they all had fruit or some type of "dessert" in them and one even had a can of white bread.........if you can imagin bread in a can....best way to eat that was to punch a couple of holes into the can, pour few drops of water into it and then toast over your heat tab........buried somewhere in one of my ancient footlockers, I have a "C-Ration Cookbook" from the Viet Nam era and also an "MRE Cookbook" from Desert Storm era....both came from McIlenney's Hot Sauce factory......the late owner was a Marine Reserve General......

now if you don't have enough heat tab left to heat up your meal, what are the two alternative heat sources?

to Old Marine

Lip stick LT.........haven't heard that for a while...but is appropriate with the CWO-5 bar today........red stripe of lip stick down center of silver bar........never wore that one...but have worn all from Pvt to Gunny, 1st Lt to Captain and Warrant Officer to CWO-4...

readying your bio.....I was with E company 2nd Battalion from Dec 72 til Mar 75.....probably crossed paths on the grinder a time or twice.....

1. Candy...junk food
    6. PI$$ cutter
    9. 72 hours off or 96 hours off.

Flashbacks can be good. This post was an enjoyable one.

I do not remember the bread in a can, but there was Pound Cake in a can that didn't tast at all like cake. The Cocoa was always so hard you couldn't melt it in anything. Most just broke it off and sucked on pieces of it. There were always Lucky Strike, Camels or Wings cigs in the rations. We more than likely did pass a few time on the field.Maybe I will PM you and tell you about the experience I had with our Bn. SgtMaj. His name was Minnecelli(Sp). Do you remember the CO of 2d Bn LtCol. Savoy.

Thread Information