Who Remembers Dog Patch? - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thanks brothers for all the good memories and Im glad to know Im not the only Marine to venture into dog patch lol.

Semper Fi

Jim

Registered User Free Member Eaglestrikes's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

LOL

Originally posted by jinelson
    Thanks brothers for all the good memories and Im glad to know Im not the only Marine to venture into dog patch lol.

Semper Fi

Jim
    Or to venture back out.
    Semper Fi.

Registered User Free Member luther johnson's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I went into da nang with Mco.3/9,way back in1964. was all over dog pacth, spent lots of time on hill 327. if any brother was ther at same time I would like to rap with you.

I was on the advanced party in Mar. 66. We lived in tents at the foot of Hill 327. I was in the seabees (MCB 1) We built camp Haskins & FLC. Two of us with the help of a few Marines put up a butler building on 327. By the time my squad got back from Tien Fuc we had it under roof. The first morning, the Marines they sent to help us were not happy. At noon I brought back a case of beer. The next day we had more help than we knew what to do with.
    We also cleared the top off hill 724 for the Laam site. If anyone remembers, drop me a line. WELCOME HOME !!

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    The first morning, the Marines they sent to help us were not happy. At noon I brought back a case of beer. The next day we had more help than we knew what to do with.
    That sounds like us!

Remember when first went to mpc and a bunch of guys broke out all the monopoly games from the supply tent. High times in Danang for awhile.

Hit Danang august of 64. Spent many times in Dog Patch and too many nights on 327.

Jack Schafer I have niver knowen a bad See Bee. You guys had the beer and the best eats anywere. Loved to be around you. Can Do, a job well done.

Oh Yeah J, Rock Pile.....

I wish other's would remember the rock pile....course I don't want to step on anyone's toe's here about Dog Patch. As I never been there. But the Rock Pile? Oh yeah. Hard core Place.
    SF

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    yea i know where it was where all the remf,s in the marines went we just went by on the way to get on a chopper at the air base at da-nang in 1966 when we was in that neck of the woods by div.

Hi,
    Just wanted to relate the story about the tail section that ended up by the side of the road on the way to the top of Monkey Mountain. I don't remember all of the details as they were described to me in an email, but I will try my best.

The tail section is actually part of a Navy F8U Crusader. The tail section belonged to the wingman of a friend I knew that worked for Delta Airlines, Richard C Harris. He told me the story of how it ended up there in 1967.

Rick and his wingman were returning from a support mission and were low on fuel and couldn't make it back to their carrier, so they had to divert to Da Nang. It was a very low ceiling and MM was socked in by cloud cover....luckily they were very good friends and were constantly chatting over the radio as they were approaching Da Nang.

Rick said he had a weird sense that something was just not right, and he suddenly yelled to his buddy, pull up, pull up.....it was almost too late for both of them as they just barely cleared the hill side and trees but managed to plow through several tree tops.

Rick's instrument panel ended up in his lap, and his engine was barely running but he managed to land safely. His wingman's engine injested too much crap and flamed out, but he had just enough altitude to eject.....and thanks to Rick's premonition he survived.....one second later and they both would have been killed.

I saw the tail section in 1968 and mentioned it to Rick in 1996 and he surprisingly mentioned that he knew exactly how it got there......an amazingly small world.

John

I just happen to stumble on an eyewitness account of what I described in the above from Rick:

Steven A. Vaughn USMC MAG-11 Da Nang. Date unknown. As a young Marine at MAG-11 H&MS-11 I watched a F8 Crusader make an emergency landing at the Da Nang air strip. It had a small tree hanging off the stabilator (tail section). The tree was about 15-20 feet in length. This plane was one of two that had got in trouble at Monkey Mountain that day. We were told the other plane had nosed in just below the crest of the mountain. The pilot had ejected safely and had landed on the beach about 1200 feet below the crash site. I was one of those Marines who were sent to the site the next day to salvage as much as we could. I was out of the Hydraulic Shop at H&MS-11 there with people from Avionics,Airframes and Safety and Survival. I recall 4 of us in the back of the 6x6 the driver and a Gunnery Sergeant in the cab. We departed the compound,drove through Da Nang and up the winding road passed the AFRTS broadcasting site to just about 100 yards below a Marine SAM site. This crash was caused by low visibility through the clouds surrounding Monkey Mountain that morning.The clouds had cleared around the mountain giving about a quarter mile visibility. The surviving plane had gone into afterburner and just cleared the crest taking with it a little vegetation.The crashed plane pilot had ejected and survived. Now that's the rest of the story.

Luther: Don't know if we've ever met but I was with MAG-16 in Da Nang in 1964. Went back with 1stMarDiv in 1969. Spent some time in Dog Patch both tours. Have some fond memories inspite of all the bad stuff.\\

Semper Fi,

Don O'Neal

Thumbs up

I was in mag11 when the bomb dump was blown remembering it burned forever saw the af b-52 go down the runway into the minefield went to the af dump later and the only thing left of it was the tail section,the locals used it for shade to cook under. i was there 67-68 also

Jim:

If you made the run from FLC to 327, you must have passed by the "sisters" house on Hwy 1 near Red Beach. Did you ever get to make a stop? Was there one night when the VC stopped by for so booty. Got a little hairy!

Thread Information