To All Fleet Marine Force Marines - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hmmm, don't see any RVN Marines piping up. FYI, if you were attached to 3rd MAF (3rd Marine Amphibious Force), which everyone in RVN, in 1970, was (and I suspect the years prior, also), then you were also FMF PAC (Fleet Marine Force Pacific).

Radio Relay Platoon, Radio Relay and Construction Company, 5th Communications Batallion, 3rd Marine Amphibious Force, Fleet Marine Force Pacific... Republic Of Vietnam, May,1970 to Oct, 1970.

Oh, I never served one day on board any ship... thank the Lord!

SF

Registered User Free Member Squirt's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    92-94 9th Comm Bn Camp Pendleton
    94-95 7th Comm Bn Okinawa
    95-2001 MACS-1 Yuma Arizona
    2001-Present MACS-4 Okinawa Japan

68-71 MATCU-69 Beaufort, SC

Sgt. Smitty
    Guest Free Member
    May 68-June 69...MAG-ll Bomb Dump, Danang..........Sept. 72-Jan 73.....MAG-12 Ordnance Missile Tech. Bien Hoa, Vietnam

Registered User Free Member vance's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Went to Oki on the Bexar with 5th Marines , Oki to Nam on the old George Clymer .

1st Marine Div FMF (Rein) 11th Marines Vietnam August 1967 to July 1970. All over I Corp. 8 trips to Camp Hansen in Oki.

First MarDiv, FMF-PAC
    ---------------------------
    Foxtrot 2/5 (1965-1966)
    Camp Margarita, Shipboard, Camp Schwab-Okinawa, Shipboard, Chu Lai-RVN.
    Hotel 2/7 (1966-1967)
    Chu Lai, I Corps, RVN.

First Marine Brigade (attached to First MarDiv in Nam)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bravo 1/27 (1968)
    Kaneohe Bay-Hawaii, Shipboard, Da Nang-RVN (PhuBai, Hue, etc.)

The only time I didn't travel long distances aboard ship was when I finished my tours in RVN, and was flown to CONUS.

Hey Vance,
    Which hold were you stuffed into? You were on the same Troop Transports I travelled aboard, with the 5th Marines.
    "Now hear this! Sweepers, man your brooms...." LOL

Registered User Free Member vance's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Yo Namgrunt,

I was indeed . Golf Co. , 2/5 . Was in that forward troop compartment of the Bexar . What did you do extend , I see you
    were there in 66\67 ?
    Did you volunteer for 1/27 ? Another 2/5 er went back with 1/27 for the Tet .

We may have been the last battalion to climb cargo nets ?

MASS-2, 1ST MAW (Futemna, Okinawa & Cubi Pt, R.P.) 1976-77

Registered User Free Member stalkmaster's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    1st Bn 9th Mar (Walking Dead)
    H&S Co STA Plt
    9/82 - 10/86
    Okinowa Camp Hansen
    Diego Garcia (ooh baby)
    Panama
    West Pac 84-85
    and who could forget the PI..... upper Mau Camp)

Yes, wingers were FMF too.

1960-1964

VMO-6, 1st MAW, Pendelton
    VMO-2, 1st MAW, Futema, Oki
    HMM-362, 1st MAW, Nam
    VMO-2, 1st MAW, Japan
    HMH-462, 1st MAW, Santa Ana

On the water? Twice---USS Princeton

FMF is the Corps!

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    2nd FAG (hell of a name), USS Lorraine County (LST 1174 or 1175, I forget). To beautifull Vieques, spring of 1970. Then 3rd 8" howitzer btry. SP. RVN.

Vance

Negative, I didn't extend in Vietnam.
    I was transferred, along with all the guys 2/5 could spare, to fill the ranks of Hotel Co., 2/7. They had gotten chopped up, and needed warm bodies. I went, along with a lot of guys from my company (Foxtrot), and others as well.
    I finished my first tour with Hotel 2/7, in February of 1967.

My second tour came about because I was one of the "old guys" who went to help train green boots in Hawaii. When Tet happened, we were scheduled for a training cruise, and had packed civvies and everything. That was also about the time that the USS Pueblo (commanded by Lloyd Bucher) was captured off the North Korean Coast and boarded. We suddenly had a choice of "crisis" to respond to, either Vietnam or Korea. We kept our jungle gear and went south.

As for being aboard ship, I recall also being near the forward part of the ship, but I couldn't tell you exactly which hold. I know when they practiced with the ship's defenses (40mm Bofors AA guns), the darn mount was right over our quarters. In addition to the boom of the guns, you could hear the empty shells hitting the metal deck above. I'm glad we had no enemy navy after us, because those sailors couldn't hit the damn barrels they used as targets.

I don't know if ours was the last wetnet landing, but I know we (2/5) made one. I was a PFC, and temporary radioman (PRC-10 w/packboard). Our officers and senior NCOs told us we were going into a possible hot beachhead. It was anticlimactic when we ended up on the shore at Chu Lai. It was like the movie "Saving Private Ryan", but without our being shot at. I was scared ****less, and won't lie about that. They took a big risk, giving us the order to lock and load our M14s 1000 meters out from the shore. Fire discipline saved someone's life, for sure.

Outside of Nashville, TN. Work in FOB Louisville
    Credits
    Savings
    Remember doing one of those 'wet' landings in Turkey. I think it was 'TEAM SPIRIT', or one of those NATO ops where the Russians were paying attention.

Late March, early April '78, cold enough we had our sleeping bags with us. Navy dropped the ramp on the 'mike boat' and we were in about 3 to 4 feet of surf. Our packs went from 60 lbs to @150, plus our pieces of the gun (81's). One of the times I WASN'T glad to be the gunner; 42 lb. bipod.

The FLEET... had to LOVE IT !!

1st Marine Div FMF (rein) 11th Marines HQ Battery
    FDC August 1967 to July 1970 Vietnam 3 tours All over I corp Requested 4th tour and was told "are you out of your mind" and told to go home. 8th and final trip to Oki the next day. Semper Fi Lock n Load

Thread Information