What do you do in Marine Security Forces? - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptorman22 View Post
    I have a question concerning B billet Marines, I am a Corporal in the 1100 field and i elected security forces as part of a reenlistment. Am I qualified to do a FAST or am I going to go PRP? Also what are some of the things that i can expect from the school, like am i going to be able to have a POV? I would like to deploy with security what are my chances for that?
    Am I qualified to do a FAST or am I going to go PRP? You have to be an 03 to go to FAST on an operational level. PRP commands will take NCO's as non 03's and then you just have to learn the ropes.

Also what are some of the things that i can expect from the school, like am i going to be able to have a POV? The school isn't that tough, especially for an NCO. It's challenging and guys do fail, but as long as you go there focused to finish the school then you should have no issues. From what I remember, no POV's are allowed in any schoolhouse environment, and no you can't have one at the basic security forces school.

I would like to deploy with security what are my chances for that. Not very likely as a "regular" security force Marine. FAST Company has different missions and they deploy for the mission, but the rest of the Marines from Marine Security Force Battalion are there to protect hard assets.

where isthe school for security forces i am from virginia before i joined the Corps but i dont know where to go to check in

Quote Originally Posted by Raptorman22 View Post
    where isthe school for security forces i am from virginia before i joined the Corps but i dont know where to go to check in

It's in Chesapeake, down near the NC border. In the woods off Battlefield Boulevard (rt 168) take a right off Battlefield on Ballahack and just go straight until the base appears. NSA Northwest Annex is the Navy base name.

It's not odd that you can't find it or don't know of the base. When I first arrived at Norfolk airport to attend the basic school I walked out of the airport terminal and found a cabbie, figuring they would know where the base was. The first few cabbies didn't have any clue where the base was, it took me about 5 cabbies to figure out where it was.

So, once you get off Battlefield Blvd and turn right on Ballahack, keep going straight until you're sure there couldn't be any more signs of life, then base will appear on your left.

Stop in the Mariner and have a drink for me....

In 1990 we were the first class to go through at Chesapeake, Va. The base offered nothing to do and we stayed in trailers. I hope they invested some cash into the base by now.

Thought this might help in the future. This is the link to the first part of a three part series done on YouTube by The Navy/Marine Corps News dealing with the type of training done in the Security Forces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-YASPigGa4

Place still looks the same; I'd like to get in the live house and see what they can do in there now, brings back some good memories, good post.

WOW, they have an MOS for Security Forces these days??? Back in the day all Marines were Security Forces and it didn't matter where you were stationed.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    WOW, they have an MOS for Security Forces these days??? Back in the day all Marines were Security Forces and it didn't matter where you were stationed.
    It's been like that for at least 20 years now, Gunny. They just don't let anyone guard nukes, anymore. The Marines at PRP commands are required to have TS clearances and to be school trained on nuclear asset protection.

Today, they only have a few Security Forces posts. The old ones that have been closed/shut down are guarded by Navy and/ or civilians. The ones remaining are mostly nuclear sites guarded by Marines.

I have this as my MOS. I would love to go FAST. My all time goal in life along with being a Marine, is to work for the Secret Service, so I figured this MOS would be best for my future. Thanks for all the information!

Quote Originally Posted by PooleeWollmann View Post
    I have this as my MOS. I would love to go FAST. My all time goal in life along with being a Marine, is to work for the Secret Service, so I figured this MOS would be best for my future. Thanks for all the information!

Security Forces and/ or time with FAST is not going to hurt your chances to get into the USSS. A good friend of mine who I worked with at the Training Company teaching CQB is now with the uniformed division of the USSS. Of course his resume is thick like a beer can.

The base and training has chnaged alot since I went through in 1990. That range looks great. The range we had was about a 1 mile hump back to the woods and was horrendous.

Quote Originally Posted by spotts View Post
    The base and training has chnaged alot since I went through in 1990. That range looks great. The range we had was about a 1 mile hump back to the woods and was horrendous.
    I know the range that you are talking about, it was deep back there. The new range you see in this video was built in the early 90's. When I left there in 99 the range had 10 individual shooting cells, each cell was used for a different type of weapon/training purpose. The first 5 cells are used by the basic school, the last 5 are for FAST and/ or CQB training.

We used to get the SEALS from Dam Neck there a lot, one day they brought Dick Marchenko, who ironically was booted off the range for a few hours for not following the range rules - sleeping on the ammo table while his "shooters" were doing drills.

In 1998, Bill Rogers and the then CWO in charge of the range, CWO-5 Grasty, took the middle cell, cell 5, and turned it into one of the most impressive air controlled steel shooting cells that you might ever see. Bill Rogers is a former FBI Agent/Marksmanship Instructor who is one of the countries best shooters. Goggle Bill Rogers and his Tactical Shooting School to see what other's have to say.

In addition to the 10 shooting cells, there is a live-fire tire house, a simunition house, and the "new" CQB live fire house which is state of the art. Complete with sliding bullet proof walls, a ship board side, and pop up targets. The Navy has been very good to the Corps when it comes to funding projects down range, very good. I went down there three years ago to see some old friends and check out what they were doing down range and it looked much like this video, and much like I remembered.

We were like the 2nd class to graduate in Chesapeake. We lived in these cramped little trailers and were generally bored to death during down time. They had just started building a gymnasium when we were leaving. Did they still have the 5 lane bowling alley when you were there?

The new rage looks outstanding and it looks like they are getting much more extensive training then we got when I was there. Ive had the opportunity to meet Bill Rogers. Great guy and has some impressive range skills under his belt.

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    Security Forces and/ or time with FAST is not going to hurt your chances to get into the USSS. A good friend of mine who I worked with at the Training Company teaching CQB is now with the uniformed division of the USSS. Of course his resume is thick like a beer can.
    That is awsome, great to hear. I wish I could still be in the Marines and the USSS at the same time. I have a feeling that I will not want to leave the corps to get the job. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by spotts View Post
    We were like the 2nd class to graduate in Chesapeake. We lived in these cramped little trailers and were generally bored to death during down time. They had just started building a gymnasium when we were leaving. Did they still have the 5 lane bowling alley when you were there?

The new rage looks outstanding and it looks like they are getting much more extensive training then we got when I was there. Ive had the opportunity to meet Bill Rogers. Great guy and has some impressive range skills under his belt.
    Ah man you stayed in the trailers, I heard about them. When I went through as a student in 94 we were one of the first few classes to stay in the new BEQ's. Much nicer then the trailers, nothing too special, just standard 2-3 man rooms for the NCO's and squadbays for the troops.

Yeah, Bill is a great guy, not only is he a great shooter/instructor but he's got a few patents for holsters and other "gear" he's invented/developed. After he built his range/cell at Training Company, he put all the Combat Weapons and CQB instructors through his course and quite a few of the guys couldn't handle the speed and accuracy for which you have to shoot his drills to pass.

Thread Information