knife
Create Post

Thread: knife

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

knife

Hello everyone. We recently sold my dad's house (WWII 4th Division Howitzer vet from Iwo Jima) and I discovered this amongst his things. Can anyone tell what it is? I am keeping it of course but would love more info about it. I lost my dad 5 years ago and he never really spoke about his time in the war...I would really like to know more. Also, any ideas how to safely clean it?

Thanks so much, hope everyone is well.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    That is a Fairburn-Sykes fighting knife. Developed by those two gentlemen initially for British commandos in WWII. They were also adopted and issued to US Army Rangers and other special forces of the day, probably Marine Raiders too. They were also available for private purchase as they still are today.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Regarding cleaning it. It depends on what you eventually plan to do with the knife. If you want to keep it and potentially sell it to a collector, do not clean it. You will ruin whatever patina exists on the knife and that has serious affects on the value. A light oiling to keep rust away will be OK.

Those particular knives were in fact issued to Marine Raiders, After they were disbanded in 1944, most created the new 4th Marines. Most likely your father found that on the battlefield. Do not try to clean it, as mention by Zulu, in it's original condition it would be worth anywhere from $2500-3000. Oil it and preserve it, I see you also have the case, take care of that as well...

I was fortunate to have met many Marine Raiders back in the early 80's to 90's...

RIP to your father...

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Earlier I moved your thread to Open Squad Bay for wider readership.

Last edited by USMC 2571; 03-15-22 at 01:12 PM.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    thank you. Truthfully I don't know how the forum threads work so whatever help is welccome!

Wow, I have the exact same knife, or something remarkably similar. I bought it in an "Army-Navy" store in the 80's shortly before I enlisted.
    You can still read the inscription which says:

"J. Nowill & Sons
    Sheffield, England
    Established A.D. 1700"

I don't have any sons or grandsons to leave it to, but maybe I will give it to one of my nephews someday...

Thread Information