College and the Marines
Create Post

College and the Marines

I have a couple of questions regarding schooling...

1. Can I serve in the Marines and then go college (and have them pay for the schooling) or can I go college and then serve?

2. Do officer candidates go through Parris Island too? What if I want to be a pilot? Do they go through basic too? Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Welcome, Greg
    I moved your thread to Ask A Marine.
    Others will be along to answer your questions.

Credits
    Savings
    Officers or would-be officers, rather, go to OCS, Officer Candidate School at Quantico, Virginia

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    All Marine officers attend OCS or a service academy to gain their commission. Afterwards, ALL Marine officers (including wanna-be pilots, lawyers, whatever) attend The Basic School and become basic rifle platoon leaders. OCS and TBS is held at MCB Quantico, VA. Any officer who went to enlisted boot camp did so as an enlisted man and sought a commission later. However, you still must attend OCS (or a service academy) and TBS. The focus between boot camp and OCS is different. Boot camp is a basic training evolution. OCS is a leadership selection evolution.

Yes, you can serve in the Corps and attend college afterward using the GI Bill. You can also attend college while serving and the Corps will chip in on the tuition. There are other college programs available but you would have to discuss that with a recruiter. Yes, you can also go to college and then serve as an enlisted Marine.

My oldest daughter isn't a Marine, but she is in the Air Force Reserves. She has a masters degree (and coincidently is a master sergeant). She got both her bachelors and masters while serving.

Credits
    Savings
    Excellent, Chris.

I am 3 classes away from having my bachelors. So it is all possible to be able to finish college while doing enlisted things. you just need to be adult enough to manage class, and marine corps things. The Marine Corps will always come before school work so manage accordingly.

As per trying to do officer stuff, MECEP is a program where you can be in the Marine Corps and finish your degree. There are certain stipulations and pre-reqs which you can figure out on your own.

And unless the officer is prior enlisted, no they will not go through Parris Island.

Credits
    Savings
    Great advice, Josh. I always, over the years, look forward to reading your replies to questions.
    And congratulations in advance re getting your degree.

Thread Information