Did You Have Relatives Who Served In The Military?
Create Post
    Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Did You Have Relatives Who Served In The Military?

A few posts about this on the Pearl Harbor thread I started gave me the idea for this thread.

My dad was from Oklahoma and was in World War II in the 36th (Texas) Division .

The first combat unit to land on the European continent---Salerno, Monte Cassino, Rapido River, San Pietro.

I'm the only one in my family who was in the Corps.

Please tell us about your family members who served before you

Similar Threads:

My Great grand Father served for the Confederacy in the Civil War. My Father served in WW2 as a Combat Engineer. I had 2 Uncles that served in WW2. One fought in the Battle of the Bulge under Patton. My Brother served in Nam with the 11th Armored Cavalry. Also had 2 Cousins that served in Nam. One Son who served in the Navy. I also was the first and only Marine in my Family.

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I forgot about the Civil War, Billy.
    One relative was with an Arkansas outfit, the other was in the Union Navy, plus 4 brothers who were in an Arkansas UNION regiment. I was surprised that the South even had Union regiments.
    An uncle was in the USAF in the 1950s.

My Great great grandfather was with the 27th Connecticut infantry and fought at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville before getting captured. He had the bad luck to fight in two of Robert E. Lee's most significant victories, LOL.

My Grandfather was in the Navy on a WWI submarine. No thanks.

My Dad was also an Army combat engineer, who's unit was attached to Patch's 7th Army that went into S. Europe during Dragoon, in August '44.

I was also the only Marine (and Air Force) person in my family.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    My Great grand Father served for the Confederacy in the Civil War. My Father served in WW2 as a Combat Engineer. I had 2 Uncles that served in WW2. One fought in the Battle of the Bulge under Patton. My Brother served in Nam with the 11th Armored Cavalry. Also had 2 Cousins that served in Nam. One Son who served in the Navy. I also was the first and only Marine in my Family.
    I bet your Dad went through Ft Belvoir VA

2 uncles navy ww2 and korea,,,uncle navy corpsman korea and nam...uncle army korea...father Marine korea...cousin army nam era ....cousin Marine tet survivor...brother navy 1st gulf war...cousin navy 1st gulf war...nephew Marine gwot ...3 tours to the sandbox....im the only one who served through peace time

uncle Army Korea; uncle Navy WWII& Merchant Marine Korea-Viernam +; 3 cousins Navy, Vietnam: Diver/Seal/Diver Korea - Zumwalt; Submarines, Vietnam; SeaBees, Vietnam... I am the only Marine in the family...

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Credits
    Savings
    4 uncles on my mom's side Navy one killed in the Pacific- PT boat and two on my dad's side one Army & one Marine 20 years from 42-62 former D.I./Iwo Jima /Tainan and the reason I joined the "green weenie"

Father (Iwo Jima) and one uncle WWII (5th Marines 1MarDiv) from Guadalcanal to Okinawa. 2 uncles Korea with 5 Marines 1MarDiv both at the Chosin.

Credits
    Savings
    Here is an interview of my uncle Ski

Grandfather and his brothers in WWII.
    Uncle in Korea.
    My dad was a paratrooper in the Army, but never served in combat.
    One of my cousins wa synth Navy and learned HVAC, it's been his career ever since he got out.

Cool

My Dad was Army, and so was my Brother (inlaw). Both attained rank of Sergeant Major. Both combat Vets.

Dad joined at 16, turned 17 in boot camp, and was about six weeks shy of his 18th birthday, when he jumped out of a burning glider going down behind enemy lines on 6/6/44, as an Airborne Ranger, with 82nd Airborne. He also served in Korea, with the 82nd, as well as Vietnam, as a senior SgtMaj with the 1st Infantry Division. Dad pass away at age 50, from complications of wounds received in Korea.

Bro (inlaw) rotated to Vietnam, with the 1st ID, in 1966. He and Dad went over together. He was a platoon Sgt in a mortar platoon. It was his first tour, and his first child, a daughter, was born while he was there. He and I also served in country together in 1969 (his 2nd tour; my only). His second child, a son, was born during that time. Bro (inlaw) passed about 12 years ago from a heart attack...

I was the Marine, family black sheep

Thread Information