Dropped from OCS twice, now trying to enlist
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Dropped from OCS twice, now trying to enlist

Timeline

Spoke to an OSO in 2017. Took 2 years to clear medical and get selected for OCS Fall of 2019. Dislocated shoulder in week 3 and sent home. Had to get surgery to fix it. I was able to get a waiver for my surgery after getting a golden shoulder exam from a physical therapist at the medical building at Quantico, VA at OCS. BUMED approved the waiver and I was selected to go to OCS again just this fall 2021. Week 7, I was dropped for a stress reaction on my third toe.

I have been in the officer program for 5 years now and the office I am at is hesitant to send me a third time which is understandable since I have broken twice.

I am at a point where I still want to join but I want to start my career sooner and I will be trying to enlist now.

The issue is the shoulder waiver. Even if i got one approved by BUMED, i am told that i have to resubmit it again for approval for enlisting. The confusing thing is, apparently shoulder waivers are always denied for enlistment. Yes waivers are a case by case but because I already got one approved by BUMED, does this mean it will also be approved for enlisting?

I appreciate any help you can give.

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Not necessarily an automatic go. The only way to know, is to apply for a new waiver IF a recruiter will do the paperwork for you. Good luck.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    Not necessarily an automatic go. The only way to know, is to apply for a new waiver IF a recruiter will do the paperwork for you. Good luck.
    yes I have a recruiter who thinks it shouldn’t be an issue but I did search the forums and saw it’s almost entirely denied. Hopefully it goes my way.

i have to wait for my foot to recover so they could send it all in at the same time to meps/BUMED. Thanks for the reply

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I hate situations like this. Millions of young folks watching TV all day and.one wants to serve and can't. You would think they could somehow make room for people with medical issues.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC 2571 View Post
    I hate situations like this. Millions of young folks watching TV all day and.one wants to serve and can't. You would think they could somehow make room for people with medical issues.
    It is frustrating. I do not understand why the waivers would need to be processed again for the same branch but just for enlisting. It makes zero sense to me.

I will keep this thread updated in the event someone in the future has the same bad luck that I did with OCS and considers enlisting.

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Yes, please keep us updated. Good luck.

Thread Information