The start of meade river / 1968 - Page 5
Create Post
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    To my Meade River Brothers, another year has passed and it's time for Roll Call again, to see how many of us are still here. Much in my life has changed, seems I've gone more internal. I rarely run into other Nam MC grunts anymore, today I know no one like me (shared experiences) in the world I live in. I'm a leftover from another world it seems and no one understands that world. And, that's OK, I will always remember. Especially many of you all here, who like Fist says, rode the Dragon with me. I will always remember my 3/26 brothers Billy and Jack and their crews who fought their way into where I was and turned around what was becoming very dark.

I still ride my 2 Indians, and I attended the funeral of another Nam Vet, army, on Friday, and there were 3 other Nam vets with me, once again, me being the only Grunt and only Marine there. Where is my old Family?

Life is good, spending more time with my family. Luckily I never seem to get bored, still in great health, lean but not so mean any more. So many stories inside, only one of my grandsons wants to hear them, at times. I never volunteer, only when he asks.

I hope each of you my brothers are doing great as well. I see many years ahead of us, thank you for being there/here. S/F

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I’m Still Good 2 Go,Injured India 3/26 Class of ‘68 Graduation was a B***H...Go Easy S F

Still breathing, Brother Russ. Meade River is alive and well today. I can still smell it and taste it. Like Jack said.....I can damn sure hear it. Those 16" rounds came from the U.S.S. New Jersey. As they went over our heads I said Thank you God they're not landing short. Love you, Brothers......

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Was just Flashing back on one image in my mind,of those slow very low flying AF Thuds;dropping their Chit right in front of Us.Always wondered why I never heard any BOOMs,they looked like Fat darts with long needle tips.Come to find out they where Delayed timers on that BIG Bunker complex where where in the Middle of.Seemed as though we never moved in a straight line more than a hundred yards,always Leap frogging during that Deadly crazy chit.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    When I got medivacted outta that Bunker complex,I had two distinct emotions,one was Gladness the other was Sadness for my fellow Marines that where still there.When that ‘34 did a sharp Bank and I slid across that aluminum on my own blood and saw that pink mist from the Air hitting my blood flying out that Hatch Above My Co,I was very Thankful too God that I was still Alive. S F

Credits
    Savings
    Much props and love to you devil dogs!

Yup, Meade River was the one operation where I felt I was looking certain death in the eye. Fist says it best with his we were "Riding the Dragon," very poetic. Guess at Meade River I must have caught some of that short-timers virus, but it really was that bad.

By the end of Mead River i had completed 11 months of my SE Asian Vacation. Though I lost my R&R to Sydney to dazzle some of those round eyed beauties in Sydney I was given an In-Country R&R to DaNang. 3 days and nights in the DaNang Hilton getting caught up on my main career field - fvcking.

When i got back to the 5th they put my company on parameter guard close to DaNang, I always wondered why they took us out of the bush during Jan 69, I told Billy about it. Like he said, they figured we'd be getting another TET Offensive in Feb and the powers that be were simply resting and fattening us up for the fight/kill. It never happened though, so back into the bush we went back out in the Arizona again. Mid Feb 69 my tour was over so I went back to the World to live Happily Ever After, into the downtown streets of Memphis as a cop. Life is good for this ol Marine - no more dragons. S/F to my my dear brothers here.

With my job as a heavy equipment mechanic. I would call myself, the best hitchhiker in all of the Arizona.C130s,Choppers H34,CH46 CH53, trucks, jeeps, Tanks ( ride on top ). Four or five times, I caught a ride on a 46 chopper from Da Nang air base . Heading to An Hoa base. Almost always, I was the only passenger. They would all of a sudden divert their direction and land in the bush. In comes a Corpsman and Marines , carrying a wounded Marine with no legs below the knees. After a while I learned that I wanted to see red. It meant that there was something left in the tank. I remember working with the Corpsman, trying to get an I.V. in. With tears in our eyes, we would try and try to find a vain to help him. The story was the same, more than once. We would land at Dustoff ( hospital ) in Da Nang. Then head back to An Hoa base. All I could do was HOPE. Jack, The pilot that flew his old 34 chopper into the hot L Z , to pick you up. Might have been the one that I wanted to unload a full clip into. About three months before ,I hopped a ride on a 34 chopper to a hillside base. I was alone in the back. I was sitting opposite the open door, suddenly the pilot banked the chopper to land.I had my hand near the rail of the seat ( luck was with me ).The chopper was SIDEWAYS, with the door straight down.I was holding on to the rail under me , with my body wanting to drop thru that open door. I screamed at that idiot. But I knew he could not hear me. When we landed,he looks at me. Oh I forgot about you. My idiot and your crazy 34 pilot may have been the same guy. I guess it was good that I was a nice guy that day. Russ, I'm glad that you made it thru the rains with little problems. For all who know Meade River. You are a step above in my book. Bill

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Read this years ago....”I have seen the face of Terror,felt the stinging Cold of Fear.and enjoyed the Sweet taste of a moments Love. I have Cried,Pained,and Hoped.But most of All.I have lived Times others would say,were Best Forgotten”.Go Easy,Merry Christmas everyone.Aye Aye Semper Fi

Lake Havasu,Az. , 72 Today. Merry Christmas to all. Bill

Merry Christmas, Bill, and have a safe and prosperous New Year.

Paul, Were you a Trucker? In the spring of 68. I hopped a ride to Pho Luc combat base. About 14 miles south of Pu Bai. A mile or two in from hwy. one. When we got to the base, there was a group of trucks parked in a line. A mortar attack started ,all jumped into the trench, next to the trucks.The mortars were being walked towards the trucks. A larger or heavier sound of a mortar was fired once. It hit the command bunker,with all the antennas sticking out.Dead center. The mortars walking towards the trucks, turned. Then all stopped. Paul. Were you in the same trench,next to the trucks? Bill

I give a f ck !!!!

A long time ago, some Marines put everything on the line. MEADE RIVER happened now 1968. I was just on the edge of that line. There were three grunts, Russ, Billy, and Jack. Right in the middle of the sh t. Along with many more that to me their names are unknown. I remember, I will always remember. Bill

Bill, I'm still here. I came down with a heart problem this year, finally got it fixed (A-fib) with an ablation. I can think again and no longer living in la la land.

It's that time again Meade River Marines, that's right it's time for Roll Call to see who's standing. It's something that was experience 55 years ago now can still have such an impact in your mind/life. Where are you Brothers?

Russ, I'm still eating that dirt. We were young and loved our Country and what it stood for. When I look at and hear the young men of today.....it makes me want to vomit...We need Gods help now more than ever before.

Thread Information