Lost boot during Intermediate swim test in boot camp
Create Post

Question Lost boot during Intermediate swim test in boot camp

Anyone ever hear of a recruit failing Intermediate swim requirement due to losing a boot during the last 2 minutes of the water tread.
    My son was worried he won't get to stay in his AG MOS because of it.
    My impression was that the DIs would go out of their way to help someone pass or retake it.
    Wondering if the DI just messing with his head, saying it would effect his getting air crew MOS.
    Thanks,
    Craig

Similar Threads:

hmm that's kind of a new one on me when I went through Recruit training/boot camp I know of a lot of recruits that lost a lot of things, but as long as the did the job and kept that which they needed like the haversack and/or vest made out of their utility trousers they were good to go, I have never heard of anyone failing because they lost a boot, that makes no sense to me at all. but my time is long gone...lol

things are a lot different now. personally, I think the DI is just screwing with his mind, they tend to do that...

As a former MCCSI(Instructor) the DI is giving him a load...

He'll pass...

Thanks for the feedback. He'll be glad to hear when I write back!

you don't do intermediate swim qual at boot camp, your son is feeding you lies if that is what he is saying.

Credits
    Savings
    In boot ! I was never in the pool....period ! I had infections in my arm and wasn't allowed in the water ! left the Island with my platoon !

In boot it's just clasification only...

In the past, Marine Corps swim qualifications have been sorted into class four, three, two or one; four being the minimum requirement for enlisted Marines.

Now a Marine is
    considered a beginning, intermediate, or advanced-level swimmer.

The changes were implemented April 15 for the Marine Corps Water Survival Training Program standards and requirements. The changes adjusted the qualification process to provide the Marine
    Corps an updated, safer and expeditionary
    force-relevant water survival program. The new system concurrently reduces annual training requirements on the operating forces, according to Marine Corps Order 1500.52D.

The new water survival program reduces the qualification levels from six to three.

Swim qualification four and three are now considered water survival basic. At the
    basicqualificationlevel the Marines are required to shed their gear, while in the water, in less than 10 seconds.

Next, the Marines abandon ship by jumping off of a raised platform called “the tower” into the water. After the abandon ship, the Marines must tread water for four minutes, where they stay afloat using only their gear and without using the edge of the pool. Lastly, the Marines must conduct a 25-meter pack swim, where they transport their packs from one side of the pool to the other. This qualification keeps Marines certified for two years.

“The big thing that has changed in the course has been the addition of boots and other gear to everything,” said Litchfield. “In the old swim qualification, levels one and four were without boots. No Marine is going to take his boots off before swimming across a river or jumping off of a ship.”

Swim qualification two is now water survival intermediate. Like
    atbootcamp the Marines first conduct a gear shed but now in deeper water, in less than 20 seconds.

Next, they
    doanotherabandon ship and swim 250 meters after hitting the water. Instead of four minutes, the Marines tread water for 10 minutes. Lastly, the Marines do another 25-meter pack swim with a flak-jacket and Kevlar. This qualification keeps Marines certified for three years.

So they don't tread water for an hour any more with a rifle tied around their necks. So tame. Every thing we did in the water was with our boots on. Fortunately, I've always been a good swimmer, but many of the blacks were sinkers and couldn't swim. We almost lost a few.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Oh yeah Russ the infamous Drown Proofing 3rd BN PI During winter no heat and they had big chunks of Ice hauled and dumped in the pool too make uS a wee bit more comphy I remember it well

I wonder if anyone else will believe our memories Jack. Different times for sure. We learned so we wouldn't die like they told us we would.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by advanced View Post
    So they don't tread water for an hour any more with a rifle tied around their necks. So tame. Every thing we did in the water was with our boots on. Fortunately, I've always been a good swimmer, but many of the blacks were sinkers and couldn't swim. We almost lost a few.
    I was a poor swimmer. I was barely able to pass and had a near drowning incident along the way as well. The instructors threw me a rope. Only problem is the rope was about a mile long (or seemed like it) and I had to do all the work pulling myself out.

Zulu, you're not whining are you? Just kidding brother.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Zulu, you're not whining are you? Just kidding brother.
    At the time I thought it all rather unfair. But with time I realized, that was just the Marine Corps being the Marine Corps. Suck it up, buttercup.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Welcome too The Suck

I remember it well, Russ... like Jack says, the "infamous drown proofing".... those of us that could swim kind of took it as a "break" from our ration of daily torture, but the ones that could not swim got themselves a "double dose" of getting the $hit scared out of them.....

Thread Information