What MOS(s) are "attack dogs"?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

What MOS(s) are "attack dogs"?

My coworker's boyfriend was in the Marines and I have been wanting to join the Marines. I was looking at all the MOS's and I wanted to be an 0311. I told him this and he said, "It's all your choice but if you want my advice the Marines needs attack dogs too, not just support." I've been thinking about it because he said I should look into all MOS's before picking one. So what MOS's are attack dog positions?

Similar Threads:

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I would assume he meant infantry, i.e. troops attacking the enemy.

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Best thing is to speak with a recruiter, about anything connected with enlisting....and Tennessee Top might be here to help, he is a senior Marine with extensive knowledge about the Corps. Listen to what he has to say.

No such thing as "attack dog" positions. The Marine Corps does not employ attack dogs so don't know what that former Marine was talking about. Canines are used to sniff drugs/bombs, etc, and will attack on command but are not used solely as attack dogs.

If you mean working as a dog handler, GOOGLE search "USMC enlisted MOS 5812".

Good luck.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    No such thing as "attack dog" positions. The Marine Corps does not employ attack dogs so don't know what that former Marine was talking about. Canines are used to sniff drugs/bombs, etc, and will attack on command but are not used solely as attack dogs.

If you mean working as a dog handler, GOOGLE search "USMC enlisted MOS 5812".

Good luck.
    Pretty sure that he wasn't being literal about it. He meant more so MOS's that are more important I guess. He said that an 0311 is a support role since it's just a rifleman in the infantry.

Credits
    Savings
    Right, but 0311 is in the infantry so I'm not sure. So I guess maybe another position in the infantry.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkirrir View Post
    Right, but 0311 is in the infantry so I'm not sure. So I guess maybe another position in the infantry.
    1) you will only be eligible to "choose", based on your scores from the AFQT test, and then only from the ones that are available at the time of your ship day.

2) 0311 is basic riflemen they along with the 0331 machinegunner, are the backbone of the Corps. all other MOS's support for the grunt.

3) all support MOS's are just as important as the Grunts in respect, that, without support the infantry will not be able to do its job, you need, to coin a phrase, Beans Bullets, and bandages to win wars.

4) the Grunts are the "Attack dogs" of America's 911 force

It's clear to me you have absolutely no idea what this guy was talking about, and I'm not even sure he did either. 0311 is not a support role. It's the very basic component of a Marine infantry squad and acts as the maneuver element in all infantry tactics/formations. An infantry squad cannot function properly without its 0311's.

My advice is to go sit down with a recruiter. They can clear all this up for you better than your coworker's boyfriend who seems to be just confusing you (and us).

FYI, you cannot enlist to be an 0311 (rifleman). You can enlist to be an infantryman. What primary MOS you end up with (mortarman, machinegunner, etc) will be determined at Infantry Training Battalion (ITB) after bootcamp based on the needs of the Marine Corps at that particular time - not your needs. A recruiter can explain how all this works but it's not as simple as walking in and saying you want to be an 0311 and that's what happens.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    It's clear to me you have absolutely no idea what this guy was talking about, and I'm not even sure he did either. 0311 is not a support role. It's the very basic component of a Marine infantry squad and acts as the maneuver element in all infantry tactics/formations. An infantry squad cannot function properly without its 0311's.

My advice is to go sit down with a recruiter. They can clear all this up for you better than your coworker's boyfriend who seems to be just confusing you (and us).

FYI, you cannot enlist to be an 0311 (rifleman). You can enlist to be an infantryman. What primary MOS you end up with (mortarman, machinegunner, etc) will be determined at Infantry Training Battalion (ITB) after bootcamp based on the needs of the Marine Corps at that particular time - not your needs. A recruiter can explain how all this works but it's not as simple as walking in and saying you want to be an 0311 and that's what happens.
    Thanks a lot, I'll talk to my recruiter later, you've all been really helpful.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by irpat54 View Post
    1) you will only be eligible to "choose", based on your scores from the AFQT test, and then only from the ones that are available at the time of your ship day.

2) 0311 is basic riflemen they along with the 0331 machinegunner, are the backbone of the Corps. all other MOS's support for the grunt.

3) all support MOS's are just as important as the Grunts in respect, that, without support the infantry will not be able to do its job, you need, to coin a phrase, Beans Bullets, and bandages to win wars.

4) the Grunts are the "Attack dogs" of America's 911 force
    Thanks a lot for the encouragement, and the information, I'll be sure to remember it.

This kid sounds like an idiot. A rifleman is the "attack dog" of the Marine Corps. Every other infantry MOS supports the riflemen. Every other non-infantry MOS supports the infantry. If he meant something more "specialized," IE snipers, recon, etc -- then regular infantry would be your jumping off point in your career anyway. But make no mistake, those elements support the regular infantry anyway.

Every job is important to the greater mission. Some are certainly more and less sexy than others.

Mike

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by crazymjb View Post
    This kid sounds like an idiot. A rifleman is the "attack dog" of the Marine Corps. Every other infantry MOS supports the riflemen. Every other non-infantry MOS supports the infantry. If he meant something more "specialized," IE snipers, recon, etc -- then regular infantry would be your jumping off point in your career anyway. But make no mistake, those elements support the regular infantry anyway.

Every job is important to the greater mission. Some are certainly more and less sexy than others.

Mike
    Yeah, he's not exactly a kid though, he is a Marine. I didn't agree with him but I didn't want to disrespect him by straight up denying what he said without asking other people first.

Tony

How well do you know this person?
    It could be he is just messing with you.

Thread Information