Marriage in the Marine Corps part 1 of 6 - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    If the Corps had wanted me to have a wife they would have issued me one.

Originally posted by eddief
    If the Corps had wanted me to have a wife they would have issued me one.
    Same thing I was told in 1968 when I eloped with my ex wife.
    Our "Honeymoon" was spent in the Triangle Motel in Jacksonville, NC on Hwy 17.
    Got married in the chapel on Camp Geiger.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Originally posted by Sgted

Hey, the old Triangle Motel - Party Central USA! Whoopee! And it's still there, rotting away nicely and makes a nice pick up point for the Jacksonville Police - it's the paddy wagon depot for Marines!

See what happens when you marry young and impulsively? Me, I'm 36 and gratefully single and never took the plunge (and I don't have the married man's spare tire, either!)

Registered User Free Member enviro's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    After my wife and I got married, I sent her to boot camp.

She made Corporal before I did and I had already been in for 2.5 years! I beat her to Sergeant and she beat me to civilian.

Originally posted by Sgted

What you didn't stay at the Delux Inn or the Thunderbird??

Hey !!!!!

Originally posted by gwladgarwr

Hey, the old Triangle Motel - Party Central USA! Whoopee! And it's still there, rotting away nicely and makes a nice pick up point for the Jacksonville Police - it's the paddy wagon depot for Marines!

See what happens when you marry young and impulsively? Me, I'm 36 and gratefully single and never took the plunge (and I don't have the married man's spare tire, either!)
    I'll have you know that the Triangle Motel is a very elite, high class dump !!!! LOL

While I do have a "married man's" spare tire, It's a Michelin.
    And like someone else in this thread, just days after my first born son arrived, I was sent to Okinawa without the family.
    After my divorce I never remarried but remained a free agent.

Registered User Free Member CPLRapoza's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I think most Marines get married, because of the threat of dieing so young. They may never get the chance.

The rules were the same in '64, everything you needed was issued to you, had a number associated, and you signed for it.

Steve

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Originally posted by CPLRapoza
    I think most Marines get married, because of the threat of dieing so young. They may never get the chance.
    nah... they think BAQ, VHA, BAS, etc. will make them rich and living out of the barracks is trouble free...

Originally posted by TracGunny
    nah... they think BAQ, VHA, BAS, etc. will make them rich and living out of the barracks is trouble free...
    Good reason but lower on the list of reasons.
    I really thought I was in love.
    I needed the love of a Woman after the the harshness of Vietnam and the apathy I came home to.
    Marrage & children were a great source of comfort to me.
    My ex wife never asked me about Vietnam & I kept all thoughts on that subject to myself.
    We never really knew each other which is a terrible foundation for a life long comittment.
    She hated the Corps and threatened to leave me if I went for a another enlistment (which would have been my 4th).
    These were the hazards of a spontanious marrage.
    I only knew her 6 months b/4 we eloped.

I rant.......

Sgted

Same reason Roger married for the 2nd time.....

His first too young and wild.....LOL

2nd loved it everytime He had to go to Oki..... Didn't blame him I had to deal with her...

3rd was me..I do have to say Roger and I were married 2 weeks after we met...but I would not suggest that to all.........I always teased him...if we didn't work out.....3 strikes you are out.....

Ellie

Originally posted by thedrifter
    Sgted

Same reason Roger married for the 2nd time.....

His first too young and wild.....LOL

2nd loved it evertime He had to go to Oki..... Didn't blame him I had to deal with her...

3rd was me..I do have to say Roger and I were married 2 weeks after we met...but I would not suggest that to all.........I always teased him...if we didn't work out.....3 strikes you are out.....

Ellie
    Of course maturity results in better decisions most of the time.
    Gives you a greater chance of getting it to work.
    A 6 month fling (and I was swooping from Lejeune to NJ every weekend) at 18 or 19 just does not seem like enough time. And, the too young & wild card comes into play. We just wanted to be with each other. Heck with what might crop up in a year or 2 (we made 7).
    At 40 your ability to know is greater.
    2 weeks is a big chance to take.
    I'd be scared to take that step.
    Hey, but I'm certainly no expert.

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Sgted: again, thanks... I was an NCO/SNCO for 20 of my 22 years... experiences have jaded me... there was love out there that held Marine families together; unfortunately, they were not the ones I had to continuously work with....

Originally posted by TracGunny
    ... there was love out there that held Marine families together; unfortunately, they were not the ones I had to continuously work with....
    I am reminded of the owners of the moble home park my ex wife and I moved to after our marrage.
    Located in Swansboro, NC the owners, SgtMaj Walter Kelly and his wife were the ideal Marine family. They had 2 sons.
    As a young man I remember thinking that my family and I would be like them.
    Next door resided another Marine family, Capt Gerald Kemick, his wife Arlene and a son.
    I was surrounded by loving Marine families.
    My ex hated the life style.
    I am still in touch with these couples to this day.
    They remain loving families.

It's not the Marine Corps, it's comittment and the willingness for people to sacrifice in the difficult situation of being married to the Corps and a wife (husband).

I've been wanting to know the policy on getting married for a while. I'm 23, and have been engaged to my guy before I knew I was going to join the Marines. I'm wondering when would be a good time to get married.

After boot camp? After all my training? When is it a good idea to?

Thread Information