Questions on PLC & MOS 06xx / 17xx
Create Post

Question Questions on PLC & MOS 06xx / 17xx

I am a junior, pursuing a cybersecurity bachelor's. Projected graduation, may 2020. 26 years old, married with no kids.

I am scheduled to go to MEPS in 2 weeks.
    Current PFT: 14 pullups, 75 crunches, 8 min. mile.
    Practice ASVABs are running 80-82.

Lots of questions, here are a few. I would really appreciate any input, thanks.
    1. My PFT & ASVAB suck. I need to request more time- how much room do I get? The OSO is in a rush in order to get me into a ‘group’ for the selection boards (Nov, Dec, or Jan).
    2. My original contact was with a recruiter in one city, then I was contacted by an (OSO?) captain who now has me working with a SSgt. Who is my OSO and which relationship is most important? Does the pass to the SSgt indicate lack of interest?
    3. How do I keep from being a ‘back burner candidate’ in the OSO’s book? My references suck (mostly professors) and I was an introvert until a few years ago, so no sports or community service. The only thing I have going for me is my major, GPA (almost 3.9), and a ****load of resolve.
    4. Given the current admin cyber push, how big is my chance that I’ll have this cybersecurity degree and end up in an unrelated MOS than my ideal 1702 / 0602? The cyber aspect is how I’m selling this to the wife & family, it would be a bit interesting if I wound up a tank officer or something unrelated. No biggie to me either way – I’ll go where I’m needed, but the fam would say all kinds of **** like it’s a waste, etc.
    5. Couldn’t find a straight answer online – can anyone point me in the right direction to find out about GI bill for an online master’s? Is tuition covered, and is getting this feasible while an officer?
    6. This is a ridiculous question, but how much free time will I have during MOS school and afterwards? My wife couldn’t find any information online about this, even wide estimates. I’m assuming as an officer this will be minimal? Can the (30-day?) leave ever be consecutive, or how does leave work?
    7. How frank can I be with the OSO in asking questions like these? Will this benefit, or should I keep that relationship formal and source these online? Of course, I realize how the whole “‘course it’s true, I saw it online!” goes.
    I realize these questions are pretty basic, thanks for any replies you can offer to any of the many questions above. Even links to previously answered questions are great!

Similar Threads:

Your questions are officer-related. Only a handful of officers here and just a couple actively participate. Hopefully one of them will see your post and offer some advice.

Good luck.

If you haven't gotten answers send me a message, i can put you in contact with a officer buddy who is in that field and was an OSO...

You will want to work on that PFT if you're not already...

Quote Originally Posted by netherlek View Post
    I am a junior, pursuing a cybersecurity bachelor's. Projected graduation, may 2020. 26 years old, married with no kids.

I am scheduled to go to MEPS in 2 weeks.
    Current PFT: 14 pullups, 75 crunches, 8 min. mile.
    Practice ASVABs are running 80-82.

Lots of questions, here are a few. I would really appreciate any input, thanks.
    1. My PFT & ASVAB suck. I need to request more time- how much room do I get? The OSO is in a rush in order to get me into a ‘group’ for the selection boards (Nov, Dec, or Jan).
    2. My original contact was with a recruiter in one city, then I was contacted by an (OSO?) captain who now has me working with a SSgt. Who is my OSO and which relationship is most important? Does the pass to the SSgt indicate lack of interest?
    3. How do I keep from being a ‘back burner candidate’ in the OSO’s book? My references suck (mostly professors) and I was an introvert until a few years ago, so no sports or community service. The only thing I have going for me is my major, GPA (almost 3.9), and a ****load of resolve.
    4. Given the current admin cyber push, how big is my chance that I’ll have this cybersecurity degree and end up in an unrelated MOS than my ideal 1702 / 0602? The cyber aspect is how I’m selling this to the wife & family, it would be a bit interesting if I wound up a tank officer or something unrelated. No biggie to me either way – I’ll go where I’m needed, but the fam would say all kinds of **** like it’s a waste, etc.
    5. Couldn’t find a straight answer online – can anyone point me in the right direction to find out about GI bill for an online master’s? Is tuition covered, and is getting this feasible while an officer?
    6. This is a ridiculous question, but how much free time will I have during MOS school and afterwards? My wife couldn’t find any information online about this, even wide estimates. I’m assuming as an officer this will be minimal? Can the (30-day?) leave ever be consecutive, or how does leave work?
    7. How frank can I be with the OSO in asking questions like these? Will this benefit, or should I keep that relationship formal and source these online? Of course, I realize how the whole “‘course it’s true, I saw it online!” goes.
    I realize these questions are pretty basic, thanks for any replies you can offer to any of the many questions above. Even links to previously answered questions are great!
    ASVAB doesnt matter for officers. You need to fix your PFT.
    I was intel in the USMC and now Cryptologic Warfare Officer in the Navy. You need to understand that your MOS in the USMC really depends on your class standing when you finish TBS. You need to be really clear and upfront with you OSO. Why do you want to be a Marine Comms officer? If its not just to be a Marine, you should look at the other branches, they might be able to guarantee your MOS. Good luck.

My question is a bit different from this question but will ask away:

I successfully completed combined (10-week) PLC after my junior year of college, went back to school to finish my senior year then commission, then TBS.
    However, I did not complete my degree the follow May as planned as I needed to make up two courses. I got an extension, (I was given a few months (4-5)). I completed one of the courses, and was in the middle of the second course when the extension expired. I was told I could not get a second extension to finish the second course (only needed 6-8 weeks and was in the middle of actually taking the second course).
    Subsequently, I was told the only way I could get the commission was to repeat PLC post-graduation. Alternative was to remain in the reserves.
    I'm not fully sure what the policy/rules are on extensions and appreciate any feedback here. Thank you.

Netherlek,

Current 2nd Lt. Here we go.

1. As stated by others, ASVAB won't matter. PFT absolutely will. Google the Armstrong pull-up program, and do 2 minute max sets of crunches nearly every day focusing on form. They'll come around. For the run, try to get to the 20-22 minute speed. You'd be in the middle pack at OCS.

2. The Captain you've been speaking to is your OSO, and the SSgt is your OSA. OSO's use their OSA's very well, so most of your contact should be with your OSA. It's part of the chain of command, which the Marine Corps is very good at displaying. If your OSO is letting his OSA talk to you, he's interested.

3. If you want to stand out, show up to every pool event, PT session, and start putting yourself out there. Find an organization to volunteer with and invite other candidates. For your references, find one or two non-professor references.

4. Realistically, the 17xx field should be bigger by the time you'd be rolling through TBS. There's one class at TBS with it available right now and there's only 8 slots. Granted, it's the first time it's been offered to a company at TBS. As far as being put into a field not related to cyber security, the chances are pretty high. Infantry is being pushed right now, along with Artillery and Comms (planning for a near-peer enemy conflict).

5. They'll cover the GI Bill when you get to TBS. Don't worry about it now, it won't apply to you until you've completed your first contract, and will probably change by then. You'll be able to use it while you're in service, but it takes a few years to be eligible to start using it.

6. Free time at MOS school depends on which school you're at and how your instructors conduct the school. If you're at IOC, you'll be pretty much on lock down for 13 weeks. When in the fleet, you have as much free time as you allow yourself to have. Keep in mind, as a fresh 2nd Lt, you'll spend a lot of time taking care of your Marines, especially the junior Marines. You'll have weekends to yourself generally, but you are always on call to go help your enlisted Marines if they need it. Leave has to be requested and approved, and usually fits into leave blocks that are determined by commanding officers. 30 days can be taken consecutively, but must be approved.

7. Most OSO's prefer to be very direct and want to get the information across as quickly and efficiently as possible because of the amount of candidates they need to work with in order to meet their mission demands. Start with your OSA, ask them the nitty-gritty questions like you are here, and they'll see your interest based on the questions you're asking. If they don't know the answer, they'll ask your OSO and get back to you or have you talk to him/her directly.

Thread Information