Hair cut before Bootcamp
Create Post

Hair cut before Bootcamp

I very recently swore in and i have had multiple discussions with family and friends about my hair. Currently my hair is below my waist. I was wondering if it would help me through boot camp if i cut my hair into a bob/shoulder length or if i should simply trim my hair?

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    As you probably know, a female Marine has to keep her hair above the collar of her uniform blouse. You have quite a load of hair that will have to be put up into a sock bun. As a male, I have no clue if you could put that much up and make regs.

My oldest daughter is in the Air Force Reserve, and female hair regs are about the same as the Corps. Before she went to basic training over 14 years ago, she had fairly long hair and took my advice to cut it short enough to make regs without having to mess with it in the morning. She did and came home thanking me as she had much more time in the morning after reveille to get things done without having to deal with her hair. A quick brushing, and she was done.

She keeps her hair shorter now than it was before basic, but long enough to need a sock bun. But seeing as she is about to make E-7, she has a lot more time in the morning, plus a lot more skill, to deal with it. She can really whip on a sock bun.

I just consulted with my daughter. She says she used to help a girl with long hair do it up in a sock bun in the evening after showers. I don't think female recruits have the time to do a full shampoo and blow dry, especially on such long hair. They didn't in the Air Force. My daughter recommends that you cut the hair shorter, but points out that girls who have had really long hair for a long time, sometimes get quite upset over the loss if they cut it too short.

She also points out that those girls who had difficulty in keeping their hair up properly were taken to the hairdresser and given short cuts that they all hated. She can't imagine the Corps being any nicer than the Air Force was. Nor I.

My daughter also recommends that if you do choose to cut your hair, do so about two weeks before your ship date so you can get used to the different feel and care requirements. If you already know how to do a sock bun, you should practice.

So, bearing in mind you will not be able to wash and dry your hair properly, and the need to put it up (and will need help with that much hair), you might want to cut it. It's up to you how short, but again, bear in mind the facilities and time limitations you'll have. Also how dirty and sweaty your hair will get. The male recruits are luckier in that way. A quick rinse under the water - done.

If you don't know how to do a sock bun, your DIs will teach you.

Good luck, kiddo. Let us know what you decide to do.

I'd get your hair to a length you can easily get it into a bun or where you don't have to do anything with it. My wife had very short hair when she went to boot camp, it definitely made her life easier. As a girl I'm sure you know of all the pain in the ass hair things -- now add extra time pressure, filth, sweat, etc. After she got done with all her training she grew it down to her waist. That said, plenty of women keep their hair long throughout the process. If you don't mind it being short, it would probably make your life easier.

Mike

Who cares? You're sitting here worrying about freakin hair, hair is literally the last thing you should be worrying about. You're sitting here like you are the god damn chesty puller of Marines here like the only flaw you have is long hair. I guarantee that hair isn't the only thing you are going to get blasted for, holy crap killer you should really be focusing your time and effort on things that actually matter a god damn bun isn't going to make you honor grad or see you through until graduation.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MunkyVsRobot View Post
    Who cares? You're sitting here worrying about freakin hair, hair is literally the last thing you should be worrying about. You're sitting here like you are the god damn chesty puller of Marines here like the only flaw you have is long hair. I guarantee that hair isn't the only thing you are going to get blasted for, holy crap killer you should really be focusing your time and effort on things that actually matter a god damn bun isn't going to make you honor grad or see you through until graduation.
    For females, their hair is NOT one of the last things they need to worry about. We males just get it all chopped off, case closed. Females do not. They are expected to report with the haircut they think they can manage and keep in regulation. Females are not automatically taken to the barber.

This gal has very long hair. If she keeps it that long, she will need help putting it up in a sock bun every day. She will have issues keepng it as clean and ungreasy as she would probably prefer. That is why I consulted my daughter about the hair. AF regs are very close to Marine regs for female hair. Sandra can't cut her hair off like a male for boot camp. Maybe a pixie cut, but that is a drastic cut for a gal with waist length hair. But, granted, it is much easier to care for. My daughter cut her hair about that short when she went in and was glad she did.

Another thing Sandra has to consider is boot camp is 13-weeks long and any haircut she gets needs to take that time period into account.

Personally, I think this was a very reasonable question to ask, particularly coming from a female with very long hair. If some guy asked this question, I'd be very annoyed and think he was a troll, but that's not the case here.

Before I sent this post, I happened to speak with my ex-wife (who was an E-6 in the Coast Guard). She had waist length hair before she went in. I mentioned this thread. Her advice? Cut it off short.

back when my late Daughter went to boot camp she cut her hair to just about shoulder length and was very happy she did, with all of the PT and the training and the O-course your hair will get very dirty and the longer the more of a hassle it will be and the DI's will get irritated as well
    so my advice is the same as the others, to cut it shorter to a very manageable length.

Women+Marines.jpgSee all the buns.....

Get your hair cut before boot camp and donate it to people who need it.

http://www.wigs4kids.org/donate-hair.html

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    This was about my skill level in fixing my girls' hair.

Mine too Chris......I was definitely mot a Beautification expert....

Thank you all for the advice, i greatly appreciate it! I understand my hair is not an "important" issue, but i appreciate all of the advice.

Thread Information