Will I get in trouble for going back to MEPS to change misinformation on paperwork?
Create Post

Will I get in trouble for going back to MEPS to change misinformation on paperwork?

Hello this is probably going to be a really long story but I really need a marine’s insight of this....

I’m currently a Marine poolee set to ship out to boot camp for MCRD Parris Island on May 21 2018. I enlisted and scored a 69 on my ASVAB and swore in around mid Februrary and I’ve been in the pool program for about a month and a couple weeks now. I’ve finally passed my IST with 15 pull-ups, 72 crunches in 2 minutes and a 1.5 mile time of 13:17 so I should be guaranteed to ship out.... or so I thought. Earlier on in my time of Being in the pool program an incident came up regarding the drug use section of my paperwork and it’s been gnawing on my subconscious for quite a while. I specifically remember stating to my recruiter that I’ve smoked pot only twice in April of 2017 and I put it down on my paperwork along with the exact dates (I only remembered it because I smoked on a Thursday and a Friday). Fast forward to a week later in late February, I participate in my first monthly IST as an official poolee and fail the run portion, then afterwards I’m getting screened by a master sergeant in our recruiting area. We go over the prescreening paperwork and we start talking about the drug use portion and how the moment of truth will happen again on the day I ship out and how they’re looking for the “magic number” of how many times I’ve smoked. I tell the master sergeant the same thing I told my recruiter and what I put down on my enlistment papers; only done it twice EVER. So here’s where the problem starts; On the paper I completely mistook the question they were asking. I mistook the question as if it were asking for “if I’ve smoked weed in the past few months” so I check no. In actuality it asked if I’ve ever smoked weed AT ALL. I know it sounds dumb but fast forward to late March, we do another monthly poolee IST and I failed the run again, but with improvement from my first run and once again we do screening papers with the same master sergeant. We reach the drug use portion again and I check no again but the master sergeant caught on and asked if I didn’t remember telling him I smoked twice, and it’s at that’s point that he realized I filled out my drug use section wrong and it doesn’t match the paperwork given to Meps and that I’m going to require a marijuana waiver. So I fill out a personal statement explaining that I mistook the information wrong and now I’m in the process of waiting go back up to meps to request this waiver. After almost 2 months of showing up to 0600 PT and afternoon PT I finally pass my IST only to find out that I might not even even become a marine. And now I’m totally freaking out that I’m not gonna get the waiver because they’ll think that I lied to them or I’m gonna get disqualified from shipping out due to fraudulent enlistment. Can anyone tell me if going back to correct misinformation can cause you to get in real trouble? I’ve worked and trained so hard for this and I’m really paranoid that I’m not even going to get my chance to become a marine.