Reserves then Medical School
Create Post

Reserves then Medical School

Howdy,

I am currently a junior in college, and I would like to enlist in the Marine Corps reserves upon graduation in 2019. My plan is to return to school and obtain a Masters degree and then possibly work in industry for a couple years before going to medical school.

My question is, can a 6/2 reserves contract be ended or switched to another branch for medical school, say in the 4th or 5th year? I would like to attend USUHS, and the Marine recruiter I spoke with said a conditional release shouldn't be a problem, especially if trying to enter USUHS through the Navy. Any thoughts on this, or have experienced something similar?

Thanks.

Similar Threads:

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    PM madsox, he may or may not be able to help you, but just PM him.

Thanks, will do.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC 2571 View Post
    PM madsox, he may or may not be able to help you, but just PM him.

Long story short, it depends. The military is always in desperate need of doctors. I don't think it would be hard to get a conditional release if you were accepted into USUHS or another medical program that included a service obligation. That said, there is a discretionary aspect, so just be aware of that. Also, if your unit is ramping up to deploy during that time, for example, you may be less likely to get a conditional release. If your command is on your side, I think you'd be likely to get it if you were accepted into a medical program.

As far as masters work goes, that shouldn't be hard. That said, I'm assuming you are planning a Masters of Medical Science to boost your GPA prior to med school? Those can be pretty intensive programs.

I do think balancing medical school with a reserve obligation would be a challenge. I have friends in MD/DMD programs and they absolutely work their asses off. Some units are more willing to work with Marines than others as far as academics go -- but explaining you need the weekend to study for an exam, rather than take an exam.

You did say enlist, not commission. Balancing enlisted reserve service with a civilian career is probably easier than balancing being an officer, which requires extensive planning, communication, etc outside of drill.

Mike

Mike,

I appreciate the input. I realize this would definitely be a "case-by-case" basis, but it's nice to know that it is doable. I'm in engineering now, and I would be going for a Masters in biomedical engineering to improve both my GPA and research background. It would also be a good back up in case I decide medical school is not for me anymore.

Thanks again.

Nice. My big regret is not doing ME for undergrad -- still tossing around the idea of using some remaining GI benefits after law school to get the engineering degree.

Ultimately it is officers that make the call, and they seem to love enlisted guys going to the dark side.

Mike

Thread Information