Recruit dad and s bit worried. Son passed out during the Crucible
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Recruit dad and s bit worried. Son passed out during the Crucible

So last night I'm on Facebook and I see one of my boys' icon lit up, which is odd because he's been at MCRD San Diego for the last 12 weeks and He should have started the Crucible at 2 AM that day. In short order I get a panicked call from his girlfriend saying He passed out during the hike. He was in Hospital for 24 hrs observation. We haven't gotten an official call or notification on his status, but somehow there is a smart TV in his hospital room and he was able to hit Facebook through that and we were able to talk to him, briefly, that way. From what he described, the dork got dehydrated and got hit with heat exhaustion, cramped up and fell out.

Anyway, here is where I'm concerned. This is the Crucible. I have no doubt he *will* graduate, but he may not be able to graduate on time, with his twin brother, which was his goal. (His twin brother, by the way, is apparently doing fine). If he's laid up for 24 hrs during other points it shouldn't be a big deal, but this happened during the crucible. Is he likely to be delayed, and for how long?

Thanks a bunch and thanks to all who served

Similar Threads:

I would think that it would be pretty important that they keep him in sick bay and pump some fluid in him and pretty much check that he has no heart problems, high blood pressure and then release him back too training. Better safe than sorry.

So far he seems to be ok and is in high spirits. I'm wondering now if he'll graduate on time

If he gets sent to MRP (Med Rehab Platoon) he will probably graduate about a week later and that will be with a different platoon.

That's what I thought. What kind of stinks is we got two of them there, same platoon and they were going to graduate together, and we can't make 2 separate trips out there
    Also, grandma and Grandpa are having a Barbecue in Texas for them, Can't let that get missed over a little heat stroke .
    Thanks for your insight. God Bless

How did this turn out? I would have been a basket case. Though, this board really helped keep me anchored in reality.

Well, One of them graduated and is currently in MCT at Camp Pendleton. The one who got Heatstroke is still at San Diego in the MRP, getting biweekly checkups and doing what recruits do in MRP. The latest word is 6 to 8 weeks. Real precise
    We are being patient because if there was no chance he'd be out already.

Quote Originally Posted by tikicomputing View Post
    Well, One of them graduated and is currently in MCT at Camp Pendleton. The one who got Heatstroke is still at San Diego in the MRP, getting biweekly checkups and doing what recruits do in MRP. The latest word is 6 to 8 weeks. Real precise
    He was surely evaluated as a man the Corps wants and needs. Please keep us updated.

In my day....if you passed out on a force march.....you was yelled at, kicked, punched, and then your recruit brothers would pick you up and carry you the rest of the way.

We Marines have a saying for this: It is called "Hurry Up And Wait"

Well this really sucks. After much poking and prodding (and what sounds like some dissension among the docs), my son is going to be let go over the Heat Stroke. I'm waiting to hear if he can get a waiver and try again in a while, or if he can go to a different service. I do understand why, but it doesn't make this suck any less.

Any ideas on what kind of options he may have when he gets back? Is it even remotely possible to join another branch? What are some things he can look for, or key things to be aware of, like what is on his paperwork that may offer a clue?

Thanks guys.
    BTW, my other son finished MCT and is now at 29 Palms and starting school next week.

Proud and bummed

It's doubtful he is being discharged for one episode of heat stroke.Tell him to make sure he gets a hard copy of all of his medical records.His discharge papers will have a re-enlistment code on it and not sure if he gets a copy of the medical board with the reason for discharge.

No one here can even guess if he can join another branch without the code and diagnosis.

Sort of update. He is now in the separation platoon. It could be as much as 3 weeks before he comes home (15 business days).

As much as I can gather, It's not just the Heat Stroke, it's that he isn't recovering fast enough. Before boot, he was running more than 3 miles with ease. Now, he has difficulty with a couple of miles even after 8 weeks of recovery time.

He knows to get hard copies of everything that he can.

From what I understand, When you get heat stroke once, you are much, much more likely to have it happen again. I can see the reasoning for a discharge on that basis alone. It was only his positive attitude that kept him in MRP as long as he was.

He wrote a letter to the commanding officer of MCRD asking to be able to stay. I don't know if it will help, but he REALLY wants to keep going. It's a last second Hail Mary, but we are keeping our fingers crossed for him

Really like the spirit in your son. If he is not to be a Matine, here's hoping he will find a lofty goal to aim for.

Credits
    Savings

Sort of update.
    He is now in the separation platoon -
    3 weeks before he comes home
    (15 business days). +/- maybe

It's not just the Heat Stroke,
    it's that he isn't recovering fast enough.

From what I understand,
    When you get heat stroke once,
    you are much, much more likely to have it happen again.
    I can see the reasoning for a discharge on that basis alone.

It was only his positive attitude that kept him in MRP as long as he was.
    He wrote a letter to the commanding officer of MCRD
    asking to be able to stay.
    I don't know if it will help,
    but he REALLY wants to keep going.

It's a last second Hail Mary,
    but we are keeping our fingers crossed for him
    I won't try to tell you about how to respect
    your two young men who went to earn the title.
    They both know the efforts the other had to put
    forward to get as far as they did.-
    As a father - how can you be anything less than PROUD !
    ^Notice please that was NOT a question sir.

NONE of us are doctors in here-
    one or two perhaps USN/MarineCorpsmen,
    and a dozen or more curr3nt and past LEO's
    who've had some firstaide training . and remember
    Heatstroke is one step away from death -
    rejoice they kept him able to leave the field
    and not returned home in a box.....

Enjoy your sons-
    We all share your pride

Thread Information