Hurricane Harvey
Create Post

Hurricane Harvey

Whats up Devil Dogs, got a question about my leave and such.

Im currently stuck down in south Houston because of the flooding and all the airports are closed due to this Hurricane. I was wondering if me being stuck here till the weekend and not being able to fly to SOI Tuesday will go into my earned leave and make me go negative or not since its a natural disaster and such. Ive called the COs office and they know about it. Was just wondering how it will effect my leave and such, since ill already be in the negative with the 10 days of Boot leave.

Thank you,
    Ryan Scott

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Well, Ryan, you did the correct first thing first, by calling your unit and advising them of the situation. The next thing is to get back as soon as reasonably and safely as possible. If that means another week or two, so be it. Keep in contact with your unit every couple of days and update them on your situation.

As to your leave balance, you could possibly go deeper in the hole. A lot of that will be up to your CO. I don't know what the regs are in these cases, but I'm sure there is probably something out there that gives your CO some discretion. He might be able to get away with granting what we used to call "basket leave," which is considered liberty and not leave, but also technically a no-no. But I don't know what your CO can get away with these days.

But, if you just go deeper in the leave hole, that's a heck of a lot better than a UA on your record.

Good luck, hope your family is safe, and stay safe yourself. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    Well, Ryan, you did the correct first thing first, by calling your unit and advising them of the situation. The next thing is to get back as soon as reasonably and safely as possible. If that means another week or two, so be it. Keep in contact with your unit every couple of days and update them on your situation.

As to your leave balance, you could possibly go deeper in the hole. A lot of that will be up to your CO. I don't know what the regs are in these cases, but I'm sure there is probably something out there that gives your CO some discretion. He might be able to get away with granting what we used to call "basket leave," which is considered liberty and not leave, but also technically a no-no. But I don't know what your CO can get away with these days.

But, if you just go deeper in the leave hole, that's a heck of a lot better than a UA on your record.

Good luck, hope your family is safe, and stay safe yourself. Semper Fi.
    Thank you for the input Sgt. Everyone's safe, today they sent some Marines to my area to help with the rescues, luckily my house hasn't been hit but it's still near impossible to get north where the airports are and those are flooded, as of now I leave Saturday for San Diego, so hopefully I'll make it soon. Thank you for the info and input.

Semper Fi.

Thread Information