Marine Corps 0311 Scheduling
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Post Marine Corps 0311 Scheduling

Hey guys, Ive got just a few questions about how military life is like specifically in the 0311 field. Ive never served in the military so please excuse my ignorance on this topic.

Ive always wanted to enlist in the Marines since I was a kid, and im just wondering if anyone can tell me what military life is like after bootcamp and SOI. When you hit the fleet do you get a daily schedule like from "9am-5pm you'll be doing this this and that".

Someone told me for Marines with an 03 MOS your job is to basically stay in shape and that there wont be any classroom time or desk job for you to do. This really sounds great to me because Ive always sucked at schoolwork and tests/projects so I am looking for an mos that will teach me different ways to workout and stay in shape, and just anything that is physically demanding and not extremely complicated.

If anyone can break down what the schedule was everyday I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Good question. I can't answer it but want to welcome you to the site. You will get a lot of responses on this from people who are in the know. Good luck.

Look down at the bottom of your post and see the same many threads about the same topic and read...!!!

Then and only after then, come back with more questions..

The life of an 03 is busy, 0530 till done, if your working up for a deployment, depending on what kind of Unit your in,k you will be training, training, and more training all over the place...

Credits
    Savings
    I have although none of them answer my question. Im looking for the exact scheduling from the time you wake up to the time you get off, and for it to show everything you did for that day. So for example today is July 21st, what did they do today as soon as they woke up? Do they go in formation first? Then breakfast? Etc

The threads below my post are either closed or have no such answer in them

All I' and many others can answer but only for our respective time frames.

Wait for ones that are more recent, let them answer..

Usually reville is 0530, shiat, shower and shave, square away the rooms/Barracks and get to chow, formation @ 0730, there will be a POD (Plan of the Day) posted somewhere. If your not headed for field training then it will be something in the rear with the gear, working parties, drill, weapons cleaning always something.
    Lunch
    More routine and in Garrison the days would normally end with a final formation @ 1630 or so..

All I can say on this one...

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    That may be all he's looking for, Mike---I remember how our "schedule" (although not that of 03xx) differed according to what unit/base we were in.

Depends on where the unit is in the workup, your platoon, and how good your chain of command is at taking care of their work. Typical day in garrison with no white space training is as follows.

0545- wake up
    0630- formation
    0630-0830- PT, Shower, Chow
    0830- pass morning word
    0830-1115- Class, Admin Work
    1115-1230- Chow
    1230-1500- Class, Admin Work
    1500- Afternoon Word, Cut for day.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by jab116 View Post
    Depends on where the unit is in the workup, your platoon, and how good your chain of command is at taking care of their work. Typical day in garrison with no white space training is as follows.

0545- wake up
    0630- formation
    0630-0830- PT, Shower, Chow
    0830- pass morning word
    0830-1115- Class, Admin Work
    1115-1230- Chow
    1230-1500- Class, Admin Work
    1500- Afternoon Word, Cut for day.

Hey Jab thanks! So there is still classwork to do once your in the fleet then? I was kinda hoping infantry life wouldnt have any.
    And for PT, is that up to you or everyone does the same PT for the day?

Yep. Everywhere you go in the Marine Corps you will do classwork. Whether it's Lcpl Course, Cpl's Course, or Sgt's Course if you want to get promoted you will be doing some sort of non- resident coursework/ PME. As an infantryman you should always be trying to better yourself both mentally and physically. Your leadership will be giving you classes all the time on your job. Order writing, small unit tactics, call for fire, weapons employment, medical training, etc. As an infantry Marine reach out to the MOS's around you and learn from them. Get them to give you classes on their weapons systems and what they do. Go and take classes that interest you and contribute to your combat effectiveness and your unit will reward you. For example I did the JTAC primer and some comm courses, and now I have school seats to both JFO school and Mountain Comm. It may sound cliche but knowledge is power, no matter your MOS.

As for PT it depends. Could be individual, could be running hills or pool workouts with your team, or a Battalion Moto run because the Battalion Commander is in the mood. I'd say 90% of the time though its going to be up to your Platoon Sergeant or team leader.

You can probably skate by being a dumb as rocks PT stud in the infantry, but if you want to be good at your job and make a career out of the military you are going to have to learn how to better yourself mentally as well as physically.

Mike

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by crazymjb View Post
    You can probably skate by being a dumb as rocks PT stud in the infantry, but if you want to be good at your job and make a career out of the military you are going to have to learn how to better yourself mentally as well as physically.

Mike

Are classes voluntary or mandatory?

My MOS was/is 0331, right out of Bootcamp and after ITR (Infantry training regiment) I went to Okinawa, Camp Schwab, there our first few weeks was build up as people rotated back tot he states and us new people formed our Bat.
    first, few week consisted of
    05:30 rev. (most of the time)
    06:30-morning formation
    07:00 chow
    08:30 clean barracks
    09:30 PT
    10:30 assigned working detail
    11:00-12:00 chow
    12:00-15:00 back to assigned work detail
    then evening chow clean barracks if lucky liberty.

now once the Bat. was formed, 89% of the day was training for combat, out in the field for 2 to 3 weeks come back clean gear clean barracks clean ourselves, if luck liberty for about 1 day, then back into the field for more training,
    after a few months we get ready for float time where we would be embarked on ship for about 6 months, there we got liberty for the most part when we would pull into port.
    after the float time, back to training then getting ready to check in our gear and get ready to rotate back to the "world" as we called home.
    the good ol USA overseas's is where you get a great appreciation for just how great our country is.

Quote Originally Posted by NickNak View Post
    Hey guys, Ive got just a few questions about how military life is like specifically in the 0311 field. Ive never served in the military so please excuse my ignorance on this topic.

Ive always wanted to enlist in the Marines since I was a kid, and im just wondering if anyone can tell me what military life is like after bootcamp and SOI. When you hit the fleet do you get a daily schedule like from "9am-5pm you'll be doing this this and that".
    I have never seen a grunt unit that has a "9-5 schedule...lol

Someone told me for Marines with an 03 MOS your job is to basically stay in shape and that there wont be any classroom time or desk job for you to do. This really sounds great to me because Ive always sucked at schoolwork and tests/projects so I am looking for an mos that will teach me different ways to workout and stay in shape, and just anything that is physically demanding and not extremely complicated.

If anyone can break down what the schedule was everyday I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
    basically in a grunt unit, you train, PT, train, PT, and slip liberty in there once in a while. at least that's what it used to consist of.

Don't have much to add because I never was a grunt. Never was assigned to an infantry unit (worked with combat engineer units and aviation units).

I did come into contact with grunts throughout my career at such places as the resident Staff NCO Academy, embassy duty (twice), US Central Command Headquarters, etc. One thing I can tell you, the most impressive/successful grunts I met were intelligent, studied hard, and were always learning something new. If you want to get ahead in todays Marine Corps, you're going to have to engage your brain (regardless of your MOS).

Good luck.

Go to youtube.com and search for "Day In The Life Of A US Infantry Marine".

Thread Information