MOS Question: Security Forces vs Military Police
Create Post

Question MOS Question: Security Forces vs Military Police

Hello there - so I have completed MEPS and am enlisted in the US Marine Corps DEP and I am waiting for an opening for Security Forces. I am also interested in the military police field to because I haven't signed for the mos I want yet. Can I get information from Marines who have experience in Security Forces and/or the military police field to tell me the day to day life was for them in their aspect as well as what you can do with the top secret security clearance in the civilian world and such.

Thanks.

Similar Threads:

FYI. You cannot sign for a MOS (unless you sign a reserve contract).

All you can sign for is a MOS category (called a program).

For security forces, the MOS category is 0300 (infantry). After bootcamp and the School of Infantry, you'd go to SF school, complete 3 years service with the SF, and then be reassigned to an infantry battalion somewhere in the fleet for the remainder of your contract.

For military police, the MOS category is 5800. This category includes both MP and corrections (prison guards). After bootcamp and Marine Combat Training (MCT), you could go to corrections school and become a prison guard instead of going to MP school. Which one you go to will depend upon the needs of the Marine Corps at that time (you will not know before shipping to bootcamp).

Make sure your recruiter explains how MOS categories work. And, read your contract BEFORE signing it (a lot of poolees never bother).

I had a final Top Secret security clearance when I retired. Doesn't mean much of anything in the civilian world unless you go to work with a Federal agency (DOS, FBI, CIA, NSA, DIA, etc) or a civilian contractor where security clearances are required (you'd already have one). I went into the healthcare industry so nobody cared that I happened to have a clearance - it had zero bearing on my employment.

Good luck.

Thread Information