How can I be successful in attaining MOS 5812
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

How can I be successful in attaining MOS 5812

Hello, I am 18 and have dreamed of being a Marine since I was 3ft tall. I'm not a poolee yet (I've got some weight to lose), but am working to get there. I have lived with high caliber working line German Shepherds since I was born. I love working with them. The intelligence level and drive they possess has always astounded me. Plus they can herd chickens and hogs like nobody's business. I have always wanted to be Recon but we bought a Czech bred German Shepherd two years ago and I was reminded of my admiration for them. I have been doing a lot of research on the MOS and have fallen in love with the idea. I know that I have to have a perfect record, 1st class PFT scores, high rifle scores, and MP training. I'm looking for advice on how to make myself standout so that I have the best chance possible of becoming a handler. I'm currently reaching out to the Schutzhund group my father used to be a part of so I can learn more about Shepherds and Malinois, and how to work with them. Is there anything that anyone could recommmend I do now, during boot camp, or during MP school (provided that I make it) that will increase my chances of success? Thank you.

Similar Threads:

Can't answer your specific question as I don't know how dog handlers are selected and if any previous experience is even considered. I do know there are only a few dog handlers so it's a small community to begin with.

I can tell you that you cannot enlist to be a 5812. In fact, you can't even enlist to be a MP. Only thing you can enlist for is the 5800 occupational field. That field includes both military police and corrections (prison guards and prisoner chasers). So, you can spend as much time as you want working with and learning about K9's but could still end up working as a prison guard (and never seeing a K9). What you ultimately end up doing after bootcamp will be determined based on the needs of the Marine Corps at that time - not your needs. How lucky do you feel?

You're old enough now to sit down with a recruiter and discuss these questions you have with them.

Good luck.

Dog handlers are (were, at least) selected from class at MP school. The standout Marines in the class were offered an opportunity to move on to 5812 training after graduating 5811 training in Leonard Wood. I remember the offer being extended to three Marines in my class. All three were absolutely stellar performers in every aspect, were guides and squad leaders, were perfect PFT score holders, and basically just stand out Marines in every sense of the word.

I worked with dog handlers extensively on my second tour in Iraq and they were some good dudes for the most part. Of course, sometimes being a stand-out, stellar Marine also can make you a douchebag in the eyes of your peers, and some of the guys I worked with later certainly reflected that as well.

FWIW my infantry unit sent some of our guys to be dog handlers. One of my buddies is a cop now and got his bomb dog back (as a pet) after they retired him.

I'm sure if you made it to recon and they needed a dog handler, your background would be looked at favorably.

Mike

Thread Information