Changing reserve contract to active contract
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Changing reserve contract to active contract

I swore in earlier this week with a reserve contract with a ship date in July and after talking with family and thinking time I decided to go active infantry. Just wondering how long would the process take to switch contracts? I know for a fact that I would have to go back to MEPS. I feel bad having my recruiter start the whole process over but I know for a fact that I will not be changing again. Sorry if there is a thread on this already most of the ones I've seen were old. Thank you for any input.

Similar Threads:

Don't see it happening but you can always ask.

That reserve contract you signed was with your local reserve unit and a specific MOS correct? That reserve unit is now counting on you to go get trained and fill a vacant position they have. Maybe, they'll let you out of that contract if you can find a qualified applicant to take your place and that person can ship in July like you're scheduled to do.

Infantry contracts are hard to come by cause everybody wants one. Besides questioning your commitment, your recruiter may not have an infantry contract to offer you.

Your recruiter will not be making any decisions about your request to change contracts - that is above their pay grade. Your reserve contract has already been plugged into the computers at the Manpower Management Branch at Headquarters Marine Corps. Those are the Marines who manage the accession numbers on both the reserve and active duty sides. They also manage the pipeline that sends poolees to bootcamp so not too many show up at the wrong time. You're already in that pipeline. You're already in the pipeline for Infantry Training School and MOS school after bootcamp as well. So, it's not just your recruiter who would have to start the process all over again.

Come back and let us know what your recruiter said and good luck.

If your signature was signed in pencil, maybe. But if signed in ink, sorry. A contract is a contract, i.e., binding. No take-backs.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Don't see it happening but you can always ask.

That reserve contract you signed was with your local reserve unit and a specific MOS correct? That reserve unit is now counting on you to go get trained and fill a vacant position they have. Maybe, they'll let you out of that contract if you can find a qualified applicant to take your place and that person can ship in July like you're scheduled to do.

Infantry contracts are hard to come by cause everybody wants one. Besides questioning your commitment, your recruiter may not have an infantry contract to offer you.

Your recruiter will not be making any decisions about your request to change contracts - that is above their pay grade. Your reserve contract has already been plugged into the computers at the Manpower Management Branch at Headquarters Marine Corps. Those are the Marines who manage the accession numbers on both the reserve and active duty sides. They also manage the pipeline that sends poolees to bootcamp so not too many show up at the wrong time. You're already in that pipeline. You're already in the pipeline for Infantry Training School and MOS school after bootcamp as well. So, it's not just your recruiter who would have to start the process all over again.

Come back and let us know what your recruiter said and good luck.
    Correct the contract I signed was with the local reserve unit and a specific MOS which I really don't want. At MEPS the liaison just wrote down the MOS and said I could change it with my recruiter. If I can get my contract changed I wouldn't mind shipping out at a later date which will most likely happen. I would rather wait for an open infantry slot than spend six years doing an MOS that I won't enjoy. I texted my recruiter and all he said was that it was a process and he have to talk to his Gunny and that's all I've heard from him. I'm dead set on infantry. I was in the process of obtaining a reserve infantry contract but my school plans feel through and I had to wait till I came home to get another contract. Thank you for your input MSgt.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by fl1946 View Post
    If your signature was signed in pencil, maybe. But if signed in ink, sorry. A contract is a contract, i.e., binding. No take-backs.
    Oh ok I was under the impression that you could back out of the contract in a sense as long as you haven't shipped to boot camp yet. Thank you for the input SSgt.

You are correct. You don't have to ship to bootcamp if you don't want to and can drop out of your DEP at any time - getting back in the DEP is a different matter. My niece dropped out of her DEP (over a boyfriend who didn't want her leaving town) and shipped to bootcamp later after they broke up - she ended up platoon guide and graduated meritorious PFC (made meritorious LCpl out of her MOS school too). Her recruiters recognized it was just a high school romance that wasn't going to last so were willing to work with her (she wouldn't listen to any of us). Can't say how your recruiters would react to you if you ever decided to drop out of your DEP (case-by-case deal). Think the SSgt's point was about the reserve contract being binding.

What your recruiter said is what I was pointing out earlier. What happens next is not his, nor his Gunny's, decision. The process he's talking about will have to be ran up to their district headquarters who may then have to run it up to Manpower Management at Headquarters Marine Corps (if they want to put that much effort into it - they may just tell you to take what's been offered or walk away, depending on how bad they need to write contracts).

Keep us updated and let us know how it goes.

If you stay persistent with it I'm inclined to think they CAN make it happen. This doesn't mean they have to, or that they are going to be willing to. Stay on top of them about it, explain thoroughly how your life circumstances have changed and why you want to make this change. If you have them on your side, it will be much more likely to happen.

Best of luck

Mike

Credits
    Savings
    UPDATE

I wasn't able to get my contract changed from reserves to active but I was able to switch my MOS to 0621 coincidentally that's my birthday. I'll be with a headquarters unit can any of you offer any insight of what a headquarters unit is like?

Depends what you mean by headquarters unit.

Mike

Credits
    Savings
    The unit I will be assigned to is 2nd Civil Affairs Group in DC if that helps any.

Thread Information