Military to CIA
Create Post

Thread: Military to CIA

Poolee/DEP Free Member Jprez556's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Military to CIA

Mornin Marines! Hope youre all doing well. I know this question probably isnt the proper place to ask it, but ill try my luck anyways. I dont have an EGA, or even a highschool diploma until next year but I try to get as much of a look into what Id like to part take in after the Corps (accounting for if I actually become a Marine). I always wanted to be a cop here in Philly even before choosing the Marine Corps for my next path in life, but every single Philly cop I talk to, (Family and family friends) say its the worst thing ever, and its "not what it used to be", with that said, that doesnt necessarily deter me from wanting to be a cop, but they all say Im highly motivated and that they dont want to see me in a city that just thinks im a number and not a person. So Ive been outsourcing and I looked into federal law enforcement opportunities. I came across CIA Protective Agents and it seems very interesting to me. However, Im kind of confused on what my next step should be. The job says a desired requirement/trait is war/combat zone experience. Ive always wanted to be a grunt, but perhaps would military intel, or logistics look better and maybe help more? Its okay if nobody knows the answer, but id appreciate any help. Thanks.

Similar Threads:

Did you read the whole page? It gave you some skills/MOSs and at least 7 years experience. Don't forget the college degree.

https://www.cia.gov/careers/opportun...ive-agent.html

Credits
    Savings
    Yes I did, I mean perfectly aware of the 7 year requirement of minimum experience but at the same time you don't need a college degree, one is preferred but all that is needed is a highschool diploma, and I'm aware that would put me in a lower bracket than the rest of the candidates. So my plan for now would be hopefully to do 4 years, reenlist for another 4, or if that chance isn't on the table at the current time, Id apply for a security job at a local firm or maybe even do 5 years as Philly pd then go federal because that's what a wide majority of people do to get into the FBI, DEA, ICE, etc.

Couple of points - for what they're worth.

Do you live near a university? I ask because, I recently retired from the University of Tennessee Medical Center here in Knoxville. It's common to see recruiters from all those Federal agencies you listed on campus during career fairs. CIA recruiters look to fill myriad positions (not just spooks) from various academic backgrounds (not just political science). If you live near a university, keep an eye out for when they have their career days and what recruiters are attending. If the CIA is there, it may be possible to talk to them (they may only talk to current students at that university too however).

Another agency, along these same lines to consider, is the Department of State (DOS), and their Diplomatic Security Service (DSS) agents. Sounds like the job descriptions and prerequisites are similar. DOS has a relationship with the Marine Corps going back to 1948 when US Marines began guarding diplomatic legations overseas (Marine Security Guard program). Besides DSS agents, you'll find former MSG's in DOS as Regional Security Officers (RSO). So, there are a couple potential career paths for a Marine through DOS. Do the same research you did with the CIA Protective Agent job but with DOS DSS and RSO positions.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you so much Top, and I do live near a few for a matter of fact. I will totally look into DOS, DDS, RSO, aswell as MSG's.

FYI. You cannot enlist with a MSG contract (it is a secondary MOS not a primary MOS). Must be a Lance Corporal to be eligible for orders to the schoolhouse in Quantico. And, you must be personally screened by the MSG screening team (I was on that screening team for awhile). I did know a couple MSG's who got out and went to work with DOS as RSO's or assistant RSO's. The assistant RSO we had at our embassy in Port au Prince Haiti was a former MSG. Also knew a couple DOS communicators who were former communicators in the USMC (as well as sailors and airmen). If you do it right, and have the right reputation, one can create an effective network while in the Marine Corps.

Visit their homepage to get the eligibility/screening criteria at www.mcesg.marines.mil

Thread Information