Saluting question
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Saluting question

I am a marine vet, my daughter is getting commissioned as a 2nd Lt in the army tommorrow. She has asked me to give her the honor of her first salute. I told her I would need to be covered in order to do that. Of course she said the army doesn't require that. I remember that we as marines do.
    I will not be in uniform though as they don't fit. Is it ok to wear my old **** cutter or cammie cover out of uniform and not under arms to salute her?

Similar Threads:

In my time that would be considered out of uniform, Semper Fidelis.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    What would Chesty do? IMHO, salute your daughter no matter what you have on. If someone gives you crap, cordially invite them to go fvck themselves.

a few years ago, new orders came down and it was approved for all former Military to be able to salute out of uniform, with any cover or no cover of your choice.

also, forgive my rudeness, but a great big congratulations to your Daughter, this is no small achievement. we all honer this of her, and you should be very, very proud..
    93a3cee7_modulescopperminealbumsuserpics71515MilitaryCapFlag.jpg

Fully agree with posts 3,4, & 5.

Don't know about the Army. But in the USMC, it's also customary for the first person to give the salute to present a silver dollar to the newly minted officer. Or, does the new officer present the silver dollar to the saluter (can't remember)? I know a silver dollar is involved somehow.

Congratulations to your daughter and much success to her! Rah!!

According to tradition the Newly "Minted" Officer will hand the Silver Dollar to the First Enlisted they salute....!!!

I also concur with Old Marine... #3, 4 & 5...

SF and congratulations to your daughter...

Congratulations Poppa. Your daughter has chosen a path which we who have gone before the flag are justly proud of her decision. Thank you.

Looks like the new Marine Corps is getting soft with the new rules,lmfao, Semper Fidelis.

Some clarification on salutes...

A provision of the 2009 Defense Authorization Act changed federal law to allow U.S. veterans and military personnel not in uniform to render the military hand-salute when the national anthem is played.

This change adds to a provision which was passed in the 2008 Defense Bill, which authorized veterans and military personnel in civilian clothes to render the military salute during the raising, lowering or passing of the flag.

Traditionally, veterans’ service organizations rendered the hand-salute during the national anthem and at events involving the national flag while wearing their organization’s headgear, although this wasn't actually spelled out in federal law.

As for saluting someone while not in Uniform, there are no specific laws other then each service's protocol's.. Army, Navy, Marines and Air Force... No where doe's it state that a former member of any specific service "Cannot" render a salute to a superior Officer, it is after all nothing more then a silent method of acknowledging respect for rank...

Marines are all about adapting and overcoming obstacles, thus, I see nothing "Soft" about it at all..

SF

I will keep it the way I was taught, it is soft and I'm sticking to it, Semper Fidelis.

Congratulations to the new Lieutenant--and her Marine Dad. She rates your salute- please wear a cover. She also will rate a silver dollar

Quote Originally Posted by borderbill View Post
    Congratulations to the new Lieutenant--and her Marine Dad. She rates your salute- please wear a cover. She also will rate a silver dollar
    "She also will rate a Silver Dollar"...???

Is there something I'm missing here..??

My Platoon SGT worked at quanico and he showed me all his silver dollars that he got from his graduating students,who he saluted first. It was a tradition he told me.

Thread Information