The USMC recruiter is starting to irritate me.
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

The USMC recruiter is starting to irritate me.

Hello all,

I am a hopeful OCS candidate.
    I have never served in the USMC but I hope to - as an officer.

So, after I started the rough application with my OSO, I stopped by the Army recruiting office cause I was curious about the Army perspective.

For me, I have always wanted to be a Marine and haven't thought about the other branches unless it's Navy SEALs or Green Beret.

So, I have talked to the Marine Corps recruiter as well since he invited me after my appointment at the Army office.
    I will arbitrarily call him R1 (recruiter 1). From the beginning, he presented himself well. He's tall (about 6'2" for my estimate), fit, speaks pretty well, chill, and pretty handsome too.

Anyways, he's been goading me for ECP route when I told him I already started with OCS application.
    For those that didn't see from "Ask a Marine" forum,
    I have 2.25 GPA, about 1400 SAT, and do not need any waiver (though my age is right up there).
    PFT isn't ready (if anyone is curious).

R1 invited me (also told me to invite my friends as it's open for everyone supposedly) for daily Marine Corps PT. So I went and I loved it!

But I saw his "recruiter side" - he always puts the USMC as if it's the flawless heavenly entity.

My brother wants to join either Army or Air Force (leaning towards the Army) and R1 "intercepted" him at the recruiting station hallway after my brother's meeting with the Army recruiter. My brother was impressed with the Marine Corps instantly and wanted to join the USMC for a while (short while) out of a hasty decision.

When R1, my brother, and I had a meeting, R1 stated, "I don't force people to join the Marine Corps. If the people are better suited for the other branches, I tell them so".
    R1 forced my brother to answer whether he would like to join the Marine Corps and pressured him for time (as in, my brother was asked to give an immediate answer).
    I was there to tell R1 to give him some time to think over. Even then, R1 decreased the time to consider and told my brother to give R1 an answer after like 3 days.

R1's rank is SSgt yet he claims he gets $100k annual income with his IT-related MOS.
    R1 also claims to be MCMAP blackbelt (but has tan belt with blue pants with blood stripes). Excuse me if i'm simply unaware of the regulation.
    R1 had 2 tours to Iraq but never was in any danger (I later exposed that by having him tell us that he patrolled the night that IED didn't blow up).

R1 told me that he spoke to my OSO and that they both would like us to enlist first then apply for ECP.
    When I called OSO to confirm, my OSO has no idea.
    My OSO told me that R1 hasn't even mentioned my name.

So the time comes after my 2nd PT, R1 gave me the ultimatum. R1 claims to have spoken to his boss (head recruiter?) and also my OSO and tells me that they all agreed that the best path for me to become the officer is to enlist first.

R1 stated that there is no requirement for length of service or rank required to apply for ECP.
    R1 told me that after bootcamp, i'll be ready physically and that I can apply right away since I already got my bachelor's degree.
    Great! so, if that's the case, why doesn't he offer guaranteed OCS after enlisting?
    R1 kept telling me that he was also invited for OCS but didn't finish because he was having some personal problems.

After just dead-tired and disoriented, R1 states firmly, "I need your answer right now!" I asked if we could assess our PFT progression before making such decision.
    R1 says, "No!"
    I politely asked to make a phone call before the final answer, and I told him that i'd like to keep going with my OCS application.

Right then, R1 states that he doesn't want me to come join the Marine Corps PT cause it'll be bad for poolees and other potential recruits.
    This is from the same guy that told me and my brother that the USMC is a brotherhood and that whichever path I choose, he'll be there to look after us.

Fine, no hard feelings.
    I shook hands, thanked him and left.

As for my brother, he also saw the "recruiter side" of R1, and decided to go with his original decision - the Army.
    My brother texted R1 the reasons he wants to join the Army after missing a phone call.

Apparently when I was at meeting yesterday, R1 called my brother to the USMC office and kept telling him about the USMC. My brother was pressured into telling R1 that he'd like to enlist in the USMC (but didn't sign the consent yet, but just did medical questionnaires). LOL for the duration of 2 hours, R1 said that he doesn't wanna badmouth the other branch but that there was an incident when he was stationed with the Army and that the Army left in chaos, R1 and the other Marines had to come save the entire soldiers' asses.

Remember, this is the same guy who said that he wants everyone who wants to join the military to find the right branch, so R1 would often refer people to the other branches.

So, one would think that if R1 is truly an honorable US Marine (or a man of his words), he'd just congratulate my brother for finding the right branch. R1 would also kept his word and told me that he'd help me with improving my PFT.

NOPE!
    All R1 cares about is meeting his quota.

Seriously, when I asked about the negative side of the USMC, he kept diverting the questions by interrupting me, saying that the media blows it up and that the USMC is the best PERIOD.

I want the best for my brother and I just ephing hate that R1 called my brother and pressured him to say that he wants to enlist for different branch from what he had in mind.

When I found out about this, I wanted to just throw down with this fake-persona R1 dude.
    Ya'll may be thinking that R1 is a Marine and is skilled in MCMAP (which is designed to incapacitate enemies).
    If anyone knows, dogfight is not won by more skilled and experienced dude. It's won by having tenacity.
    Not that whoever wins matters, I am enraged since R1 is messing with my brother and what's best for him.

I train MMA myself (muay thai primarily) and it ain't the brightest idea cause military personnel will be in trouble for fighting a civilian. As an OCS applicant, I don't wanna have a criminal record and end up asking for a waiver.

Excuse me, but i'm not here to promote violence or unlawful actions.

I initially bombarded my brother with how great and distinctive the USMC is and kept asking him to join the USMC. After research and the interactions with R1, i'm sure i'd rather have my brother join the Army while i'm firm on the USMC OCC.

I'm gonna have my brother study the hell outta ASVAB and go sign up with the Army when he's ready.
    I'm tired of this R1 dude not keeping his words and not looking out for the welfare of the future Marines (when they earn the title).

Anyone else got a terrible experience with the recruiters?

-Josh