IRR Discharge Certificte
Create Post

IRR Discharge Certificte

Good afternoon
    This is a question about my IRR discharge certificate.
    I am trying to enlist into the Army (bottom paragraph explains why) and in order to complete my enlistment, they need my DD 256 (IRR Discharge Certificate). Apparently a DD 214 is not sufficient. This presents a problem because from what I understand, IF the Corps ever sends me my certificate, it could take up to years to get. I need it ASAP. My IRR expired 2017-02-03 and its a race against time to get that DD 256 (again I'll explain below). I submitted an EPAR request via MOL and I've emailed MCIRSA. My three questions are:
    1) How long does it really take to receive this 256?
    2) Is there any other way I can get my DD 256?
    3) If I drove to New Orleans, would I be able to get a copy in person?

Why the Army?
    Short an simple, they're the only ones taking prior service.
    Long answer:
    Currently the USMC is not taking prior service Marines unless they have an 03x background or a special MOS. They are not and never will accept my MOS for prior service. I can't LAT move into the 03x field because I am a Sgt with 2 years TIG (promoted in the IRR). So the USMC, unfortunately, will never be an option for me. The reason I'm in a hurry to join the Army is because currently they are accepting prior service members for jobs that don't require security clearances. I can't get a clearance because I have a bankruptcy. So in order for me to join the Army, the stars have to align. 1) They have to accept prior service 2) they have to have jobs that don't require a clearance. So as you can see I'm in a race against time.
    I appreciate any feedback!

Similar Threads:

ahh there's a problem here, your profile says, E-1 and still in service, yet you show a E-5 avatar,, hmmm

Per Army Regulation 601-210, Regular Army and Reserve Components Enlistment Program, dated 31 August 2016:

Paragraph 3-19d(1) Verification of Prior Service:
    (1) For prior U.S. Marine Corps service—

(a) If separated for less than 1 year without a Reserve obligation, request is sent to: Commandant, Marine Corps(Code MMSB10), Headquarters, U.S. Marine Corps, 2008 Elliot Road, Quantico, VA 22134–5002.

No mention of a DD Form 256 in the regulation. Your initial enlistment contract which required that you have an 8-year obligation and your DD Form 214 both should show when your IRR is up.

You're correct. My DD 214 should suffice, however, I am being told by USAREC that I have to show proof of my discharge from the IRR. My REDD report and DD 214 are not enough. That's why I'm trying to figure out if anyone knows of a quicker way to receiving my DD 256 or if I can drive to MCIRSA and request it in person.

Credits
    Savings
    You may want to visit a local recruiting office before any road trip

Well, if they don't follow their own rules, do you want to deal with them? Sounds like either someone doesn't know their job, or they don't want to deal with you.

Good luck. When I enlisted into the Active duty Marine Corps a second time after getting out 18-months before, my DD Form 256 did not show up until 2-months after I was on active duty.

Credits
    Savings
    SOMEONE on here----
    Has to have Pres Trumps contact Intel !

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Someone here, a couple of years ago, answered this question re how to get a DD 256. I printed it out, complete with phone number in Virginia to call, etc. Will look for it after the Superbowl in a few hours. Meanwhile, take a look at similar threads re DD 256/DD 256 MC. I will get back to you on this, though, but I have to find the printout, which I know I still have.

Alright man thanks, I appreciate it

Credits
    Savings
    =========================

Here it is, as promised- From 11-6-09 right here on Leatherneck:
    =========================

This Is The Correct Answer. Absolutely.

I searched for this answer for years and I am finally proud to share this with you:

MMS handles sending you out a free replacement dd form 256 Discharge Certificate. Their phone number is 1-800-268-3710 option number 3. You can call them to verify and then you will need to fax them a written request for it to (703) 784-5792. Include your Name, DOB, SS#, Sign the form and include your mailing address where you want to have it sent to. It is as easy as that!

Credits
    Savings
    Just by the way, that office apparently deals with DUPLICATE DD-256's. But they, if anyone does, would certainly know about original DD-256's also, so give them a call.

Credits
    Savings
    The post I quoted above is post 9 from the cited thread below. Read the whole thing for other viewpoints and in case the poster was incorrect and you will see other suggested ways of getting a DD-256. Good luck to you.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ighlight=dd256

Awesome! Thanks man I really appreciate it! I'll give it a try

Credits
    Savings
    You're welcome....and if successful, please update us here as to how you did it, so others can benefit in the future.

Thread Information