switching branches at MEPS?
Create Post

Question switching branches at MEPS?

I always knew I wanted to join the military. Though not until highschool did I realize I wanted to be a marine. I'm 24, and got slightly discouraged after multiple tattoo removal sessions for this stupid homemade tattoo I did myself when I was a teenager. Its on my wrist and a nono for the marines.

I ended up going to take the ASVAB with the navy, after telling them my situation. I scored a 71. I told them if I did the navy I wanted to be a corpsman. My recruiter told me the slot might not even be open. Now I'm having second thoughts.

I don't like the navy uniforms , everyone tells me thats a bad choice to not join, but wouldnt you want to be proud of the uniform you're putting on everyday? I LOVE everything about the marines. The creed, the uniforms, everything they stand for, ect. The thought of being anything but a marine makes me feel like i'll live my life full of regrets. Everytime someone tells me they don't think I could make it, upsets me inside. I always shoot for the best and although i respect all branches of service, I feel like the marines are the best, and I want to be part of the best.

but back to my question: I'm scheduled to go to MEPS on tuesday. Monday I have my fourth tattoo removal session for this ****ty little wrist tattoo which is made of mostly dots and faint lines now. I really hope its my last. If its completly goes away, I know I'll be able to move forward with the marines.

Would I be able to switch from Navy to Marines if I don't swear in on tuesday at MEPS?

Similar Threads:

If you haven't finished the enlistment process than probably (assuming the USMC will let you in). If you've contracted with the Navy, that is you've already signed everything, they may be reluctant to let you go. You should sit down with both recruiters PRIOR to going to MEPS.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by crazymjb View Post
    If you haven't finished the enlistment process than probably (assuming the USMC will let you in). If you've contracted with the Navy, that is you've already signed everything, they may be reluctant to let you go. You should sit down with both recruiters PRIOR to going to MEPS.

Mike
    I haven't gone to MEPS yet I'm suppose to go Tuesday to take my physical. I took my avian a week and a half ago at some college place. (Apprently vega s doesn't have a MEPS station)

Did you sign any paperwork committing to the Navy with your recruiter?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by crazymjb View Post
    Did you sign any paperwork committing to the Navy with your recruiter?

Mike

I signed some paperwork in order to take the asvab.

My recruiter for the marines told me that meant I was going through them, but I was under the idea that I wasn't processing technically unless I went to MEPS and signed a contract. So I'm hella confused. Cause I still go to PT with the marines and poolees, but one day I went there to ask navy some questions regarding my tattoo and I took a practice tests in their office just to see where I was at and they schduled me a real test the same day.

I was just super excited to take the real one, not knowing if I took it it meant anything cause I didnt study and they told me I could always retake it later.

I guess allot of info that was given to me went out one ear cause all that was going through my head was finally being able to take the asvab to see what I needed to work on. I was shooting for a 75 and got a 71. Thinking to myself if I actually studies instead of rushed, none of this would be going on. (i'm SUPER IMPATIENT - I'm working on it)

Nobody here can answer your question (we are not recruiters). You're going to have to hash this out between the Navy and Marine Corps recruiters.

Good luck and let us know how it finally works out.

Thread Information