A few days ago, I attended a medical consult at MEPS. The doctor stated that although I do have astigmatism, I have no other optical diseases (besides myopia, which is within the DoD guidelines). After my consult, the MEPS doctor DQ'd me, but also recommended that I get a waiver. My results were; left eye = +4.00 and right eye = +2.75. Both eyes are correctible to 20/20, and I'm not colorblind.
I went down to my recruiter's office today and filled out my 'Why I Want to be a Marine' and level of activity papers, and now begins the long wait.
Other than the astigmatism, nothing else is deterring me from enlistment. I scored 95 on the ASVAB, I have no tattoos, I'm physically fit, and I don't even have a speeding ticket. I don't think they'll care at all about this (and rightfully so), because the focus is my astigmatism. But just out of curiosity, will they take any of it into account?
There is no one alive other than the good doctors at BUMED who will know whether or not I'll get the waiver. What I would like to know though is how bad was your astigmatism when you enlisted? I know waivers are evaluated on a case-by-case basis, so hearing that someone legally blind got in guarantees me nothing. But it does give me some confidence. From what I've read, the DoD guidelines state that any astigmatism above +/-3.00 is a DQ, but waiverable. Astigmatism above +/-8.00 is a no-go though. Since my right eye is good, and my left eye is just one diopter off, should I be putting too much thought into this? I appreciate all input by you guys, thank you!