Am I a Marine?
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I a Marine?

Am I a Marine?

I arrived on Parris Island on December 30th, 2000. I graduated from recruit training on March 23, 2001 with 2nd BN Echo Company PLT 2029, SDI SSGT Maloney. I came home on leave, and was given recruiters leave where I served for a month with SSGT Robinson at my local recruiting office. SSGT Robinson was my recruiter, and welcomed my help and presence. Being home that long, combined with being young and dumb.... gave me the opportunity to make mistakes. That is precisely what i did. I made the mistake of thinking i could do some cocaine and not get caught. I was wrong.

After recruiters leave was over, i bussed down to Geiger for MCT. Like everyone else, i was drug tested... Thinking that i was clean. My class didn't pick up for a few weeks, so i was put on Camp Guard until the class started. On the day of MCT graduation, i was given my diploma but told to stay behind afterwards. Another guy from my class was told the same thing. It turns out that both of us had tested positive for drugs.

Naturally, both of us were sent to the SEPS Platoon. Despite the mistake i made while home on leave, I was ALWAYS the best Marine that i could possibly be. Even in SEPS. (There are some VERY well painted buildings on Geiger because of yours truly.) While in SEPS, my superiors told me how the game was played. It was basically up to me to decide if i stay or go. Like i said, i was always the best Marine i could be, so they assumed i wanted to stay. While part of me did, there were some very exciting prospects back home. I was tempted by those prospects, and made the decision that i was going home. This is a decision that i deeply regret to this day.

When i finally had my Colonel, i was accompanied by Gunny Reed. We both stood there in front of the Colonel while he quickly glanced at my paper work. When he looked up, he said, (and I'm paraphrasing), "Reed, (meaning me...I have the same last name as the Gunny who accompanied me) you have been an excellent Marine up to this point. GSGT Reed and your platoon sergeants tell me that you're a good Marine and that you deserve another chance. We'll just sweep this incident under the rug and you can go to Aberdene to attend your school and we'll get you out in the fleet." I replied, "No sir." Both GSGT Reed and the Colonel looked absolutely stunned. Remember, i had foolishly decided that i wanted to go home. I said, "Sir, if you don't discharge me now, I'm going to purposely fail every drug test I'm every given until you do discharge me." The Colonel thought for a minute and said, "Ok, then I'm discharging you with a general OTH." I turned in my gear, got my bus ticket, and came home.

If you've read this far, i just want to take a minute and thank you for it. The prospects that were so tempting at the time never panned out. I have terribly regretted that decision, for lots of reasons, for a very long time. I receive no veterans benefits, so i know where i stand on that issue and that isn't what this is about. This brings us to the title of this post. Am i a Marine? Do i get to tell people that I'm a Marine? Do i still deserve to claim the title? Yes, i graduated boot camp and received my first EGA after just finishing the Crucible, standing in tears before the Iwo Jima monument on the parade deck on Parris Island. I definitely once earned the title of United States Marine. The question is, do i still deserve to keep it. I feel terrible when someone finds out that i was in the Corps and says, "Thank you for your service." I politely ask them not to. I do not deserve that. But, in your opinion, do you think that I still deserve the title? Again, i thank you for reading all of this, and welcome bluntly honest replies.

Mad Dog

I forgot to add, I was discharged on July 2nd, 2001.

Donnie,

I dont believe a word of your story as it pertains to being offered a chance to stay in. Smells like BS to me.

A colonel let you decide if you wanted to stay in or get out, and hooked you up with a General oth discharge? Sounds fishy. As for people "finding out" you were a Marine and saying thanks, how do they find out if you don't tell them?

In my opinion, any time you claim the title you should follow it up immediately with "but I got kicked out for doing drugs".

Quote Originally Posted by silveradomick View Post
    Donnie,

I dont believe a word of your story as it pertains to being offered a chance to stay in. Smells like BS to me.

A colonel let you decide if you wanted to stay in or get out, and hooked you up with a General oth discharge? Sounds fishy. As for people "finding out" you were a Marine and saying thanks, how do they find out if you don't tell them?

In my opinion, any time you claim the title you should follow it up immediately with "but I got kicked out for doing drugs".
    Thank you for the reply. That's actually what i do tell them, or something close to it. I see you're from Pittsburgh. So am I. While i don't really care at all if you believe me, the story is 100% true, and i sincerely appreciate your input.

For the record, strictly on the technical aspects, yes, your a Marine...

On the Honorable side of this, you are a failure of that title Marine...

Now, what is the real purpose of this confession...???

Quote Originally Posted by FoxtrotOscar View Post
    For the record, strictly on the technical aspects, yes, your a Marine...

On the Honorable side of this, you are a failure of that title Marine...

Now, what is the real purpose of this confession...???
    Because I agree with you. To lay this internal struggle down, i think i just needed to hear it. I thank you for the reply.

Your welcome.

You don't have to look at this as a negative, it was a learning experience, although an expensive one...

Stay positive about the Marines and what they strive to represent, that will be your redeeming quality in life...

Quote Originally Posted by FoxtrotOscar View Post
    Your welcome.

You don't have to look at this as a negative, it was a learning experience, although an expensive one...

Stay positive about the Marines and what they strive to represent, that will be your redeeming quality in life...
    That is good advice. Again, thank you.

I agree that you earned the title of Marine; but you are a failure as a Marine, if the story is true. If there was a way that the title could be taken from you, it should be.

Like Silverado; I don't believe your story.

ORDO AD CHAO

I have never heard of a boot being given the choice of staying or leaving. My feelings is and always has been......getting through boot-camp does not make you a Marine. It gives you the title, but you have to earn the respect that goes with it. Which you did not. Your discharge is obvious evidence that you was not an Honorable man. I would be ashamed to even ask Marines, many who are combat veterans, if you are considered a Marine. When civilians think of Marines, they have total respect for what they stand for......Honor, Character, Loyalty, and a love for the Corps. You did not demonstrate any of these qualities.........so I will ask you....do you feel as if you should be considered a Marine ????

Thank you for your replies. Like i said above, and whether you believe me or not, my story is true. As far as being given a choice, it was clearly explained to me upon entering SEPS that if you act like a bag of **** you'll get the boot, but if you act right and act honorably while in SEPS, they would keep you. I always acted right (excluding my decision to do cocaine) until the day i left. That's why they tried to keep me. The decision i was free to make was how i acted. The consequence was whether i would stay or not. Again, thank you for your replies.

"Should I Stay Or Should I Go?"

Darlin' you got to let me know
    Should I stay or should I go?
    If you say that you are mine
    I'll be here 'til the end of time
    So you got to let me know

It's always tease tease tease
    You're happy when I'm on my knees
    One day is fine and next is black
    So if you want me off your back
    Well come on an' let me know
    Should I Stay or should I go?

Should I stay or should I go now?
    If I go there will be trouble
    An' if I stay it will be double
    So come on and let me know

This indecision's buggin' me

I don't know.....!Why would you come on to a Marine site and air your dirty laundry from fifteen years ago to honorable discharged Marines and cyberspace?

Technically you are a Marine....however your eagle has busted wings.......

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    "Should I Stay Or Should I Go?"

Darlin' you got to let me know
    If you say that you are mine
    I'll be here 'til the end of time
    So you got to let me know

It's always tease tease tease
    You're happy when I'm on my knees
    One day is fine and next is black
    So if you want me off your back
    Well come on an' let me know
    Should I Stay or should I go?

If I go there will be trouble
    An' if I stay it will be double
    So come on and let me know

This indecision's buggin' me

I don't know.....!Why would you come on to a Marine site and air your dirty laundry from fifteen years ago to honorable discharged Marines and cyberspace?

Technically you are a Marine....however your eagle has busted wings.......
    Well who else would i ask? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by MadDogDonnie View Post
    Well who else would i ask? LOL
    When you get to the pearly gates, ask the Marines who guard them.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    When you get to the pearly gates, ask the Marines who guard them.
    Again, good advice! Thank you for the reply.

Thread Information