Should I quit everything else and train to get fit enough for boot camp?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Should I quit everything else and train to get fit enough for boot camp?

So currently I am finishing nursing pre-reqs at 4 year university. I am taking Anatomy and Physiology 1 and 2 during the summer while also working.

I am just having so much trouble with my weight and endurance. I was doing really well, and then finals would hit or I would just get really stressed out and I would gain back the weight I lost. Im getting so frustrated.

I want to enlist and ship out next year, so that means I have to finish all my pre-reqs by this year. I want to enlist in the marines and then after MOS go through the Navy to finish nursing school (being a marine is important to me).

So if I don't finish my nursing pre-reqs now then I would have to finish it after boot camp and MOS, which could be up to a year and a half. I would have to reapply to a college and it would take so much longer.

I don't know what to do. I just want to focus on training because I am so far behind. And I feel like trying to do everything I'm failing at everything. My grades aren't the A's im shooting for. What would you do if you were me.

Similar Threads:

The Marine Corps does not have Corpsmen/Corps-persons, the navy has Corpsmen who are then assigned to Marine combat units. You really need to get a better understanding of how things work.

If you enlist in the MC and are overweight you will be classified as a fat body and you will become fit, most likely not to your liking. Also, you will become stressed like never before. Perhaps your plan needs to be rethought.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    If you want the best of both worlds Camille what you could do is take a deep breath, relax, enlist in the Marine Corps Reserves, continue your schooling and have the government pay for it.

Best of luck.

You cannot do both (USMC and USN). Once you complete MOS school in the USMC, you'll have to finish out the remainder of your contract. There are no intra-service transfers that I'm aware of. After completing your USMC contract, there is no guarantee the USN will offer you a contract. You do realize, in the Navy, there is a real good chance you'll be deployed aboard a ship? How do you expect to go to a nursing program floating around on the ocean for months at a time?

I agree you're doing too much - obviously. And you're in too much of a hurry to get it all done. You're putting all this stress on yourself. Right now, you have too many goals (being a Marine, being a sailor, being a college student with good grades, and being a nurse). Any one of those requires a full-time commitment and total focus on your part.

My recommendations:

a. Narrow your focus. Decide which one of those aspirations is the most important to you (forget you can have them all as that is not realistic). This will make things a lot simpler, manageable, and less stressful. We always recommend students stay in school as education should remain your top priority. For you, this means staying in school till you have your nursing degree. At that point, there is no reason to join the USMC as we don't have nurses (so your degree would be wasted).

b. If you haven't already. Go sit down with a Navy and USMC recruiter. You obviously don't understand how things work. Explain to them what your aspirations are and then listen to what they have to offer.

Good luck.

1st thing, RELAX, take a "chill pill" and THINK.... COMPLETE your schooling, GET THAT DEGREE and your NURSING QUALIFICATION... then you can go into any of 3 (yes, 3 NOT 4 or 5) services as a RN, and as an OFFICER.... Army, Navy, Air Force all have medical branches... The Navy provides most medical services to the Marine Corps, and Navy Corpsmen (not doctors or nurses) are assigned to FMF units to provide medical services to the Marines.. Doctors and nurses are usually assigned to Naval Hospital Facilities, which can be located on Marine Bases... they also are assigned to Navy Hospital Ships as necessary.... your "currently proposed course of action" is both overly complicated and undoable....

Quote Originally Posted by nishey94 View Post
    So currently I am finishing nursing pre-reqs at 4 year university. I am taking Anatomy and Physiology 1 and 2 during the summer while also working.

I am just having so much trouble with my weight and endurance. I was doing really well, and then finals would hit or I would just get really stressed out and I would gain back the weight I lost. Im getting so frustrated.

I want to enlist and ship out next year, so that means I have to finish all my pre-reqs by this year. I want to enlist in the marines and then after MOS go through the Navy to finish nursing school (being a marine is important to me).

So if I don't finish my nursing pre-reqs now then I would have to finish it after boot camp and MOS, which could be up to a year and a half. I would have to reapply to a college and it would take so much longer.

I don't know what to do. I just want to focus on training because I am so far behind. And I feel like trying to do everything I'm failing at everything. My grades aren't the A's im shooting for. What would you do if you were me.
    don't worry about that.. our drill instructors and rigid training will be plenty enough to get you in shape and squared away, as we break you down our way and build you up our way.

Nishey - you've posted before with questions about PT, the enlistment process, now you've got a new set. It sounds like you're trying to decide and do too many things at once. Like TN and Old Tops both said - slow down, focus on one thing at a time, and then take things in order.

Especially this bit from TennesseeTop:

"b. If you haven't already. Go sit down with a Navy and USMC recruiter. You obviously don't understand how things work. Explain to them what your aspirations are and then listen to what they have to offer."

There are professionals there in those recruiting offices whose job is to help young people like you figure out if they do want to try for a life in uniform, and which uniform that should be. Go talk to them and let them help you figure some of this out.

And I agree with OldTop too - get that degree, then you'll have a lot more options.

Good luck!

top is right, but keep in mind,'crooters have a quota to fill and may tell you alot of bs to get you to enlist immediately. you'll know if you made the right choice once you walk thru our portals... my motto was and still is...go the extra mile; it's a road that's never crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    You cannot do both (USMC and USN). Once you complete MOS school in the USMC, you'll have to finish out the remainder of your contract. There are no intra-service transfers that I'm aware of. After completing your USMC contract, there is no guarantee the USN will offer you a contract. You do realize, in the Navy, there is a real good chance you'll be deployed aboard a ship? How do you expect to go to a nursing program floating around on the ocean for months at a time?

I agree you're doing too much - obviously. And you're in too much of a hurry to get it all done. You're putting all this stress on yourself. Right now, you have too many goals (being a Marine, being a sailor, being a college student with good grades, and being a nurse). Any one of those requires a full-time commitment and total focus on your part.

My recommendations:

a. Narrow your focus. Decide which one of those aspirations is the most important to you (forget you can have them all as that is not realistic). This will make things a lot simpler, manageable, and less stressful. We always recommend students stay in school as education should remain your top priority. For you, this means staying in school till you have your nursing degree. At that point, there is no reason to join the USMC as we don't have nurses (so your degree would be wasted).

b. If you haven't already. Go sit down with a Navy and USMC recruiter. You obviously don't understand how things work. Explain to them what your aspirations are and then listen to what they have to offer.

Good luck.
    I guess I'm feeling rushed because I'm 21 and a senior in college this coming year. I changed my major so many times, so much time and money wasted.

I only realized this year that I want to be nurse in the military. The civilian life is just not for me I want to travel the world, but Ive heard that making a career in the military is not likely. So being a nurse I was hoping I'd I have more job opportunities when Im done serving and back home.

If it were completely up to me I would quite everything and enlist in the marines and face the consequences later. I feel like I've been in school FOREVER. I know I can do it, become a nurse, I enjoy helping people and the hospital setting, I enjoy learning.

But I feel like Im mainly doing nursing for my parents. Who I owe everything to. They've done so much for me.....when I told my mom that I wanted to join the military she gave me this heart broken look and she said she thought that this time I would make her proud, finish school and get a job, so she can rest easy and know that I'll be okay.

I feel so stuck, like i have no choice but to finish school, Ive wasted so much money. But I need a break from how my life is playing out currently. I want to get myself together through discipline, I wanna see the world, do things with my hands, feel a bond of belonging somewhere, save lives in the smallest of ways....

I had no idea that once I sign a contract with the Marines Id have to finish my service before signing a new one... I thought going back to school would allow me to serve it after finishing nursing school. I have asked my recruiter if he can help me find a Navy personnel I can talk to and he has set up a meeting tomorrow. I'm just trying to make the least regretful decision.

Thank you for your advice really, all of you.

I guess I'm feeling rushed because I'm 21 and a senior in college this coming year. I changed my major so many times, so much time and money wasted.

I only realized this year that I want to be nurse in the military. The civilian life is just not for me I want to travel the world, but Ive heard that making a career in the military is not likely. So being a nurse I was hoping I'd I have more job opportunities when Im done serving and back home.

If it were completely up to me I would quite everything and enlist in the marines and face the consequences later. I feel like I've been in school FOREVER. I know I can do it, become a nurse, I enjoy helping people and the hospital setting, I enjoy learning.

But I feel like Im mainly doing nursing for my parents. Who I owe everything to. They've done so much for me.....when I told my mom that I wanted to join the military she gave me this heart broken look and she said she thought that this time I would make her proud, finish school and get a job, so she can rest easy and know that I'll be okay.

I feel so stuck, like i have no choice but to finish school, Ive wasted so much money. But I need a break from how my life is playing out currently. I want to get myself together through discipline, I wanna see the world, do things with my hands, feel a bond of belonging somewhere, save lives in the smallest of ways....

I had no idea that once I sign a contract with the Marines Id have to finish my service before signing a new one... I thought going back to school would allow me to serve it after finishing nursing school. I have asked my recruiter if he can help me find a Navy personnel I can talk to and he has set up a meeting tomorrow. I'm just trying to make the least regretful decision.

aha; feeling rushed are the operative words here; slow down, take a deep breath and think hard about life-changing decisions!

it sounds to me you're a bit confused about many things... are you sure you're not talking about OCS school?

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Well at least you made one of your decisions by seeing a Navy recruiter.

Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky C View Post
    Well at least you made one of your decisions by seeing a Navy recruiter.

Best of luck.
    yeah, and the navy dresses you funny, as they wear pants, marines wear trousers.

as an after-thought, is it possible for you to visit a local VA hospital and talk with some of the ER nurses to see what advice they can give you?

Being 21, and still having all these goals, I can see why you're feeling a little rushed. Still, you need to simplify your life.

Since the Navy does have MOS's in the medical field (and we don't), I think you'd be better off serving with them. But remember, you'll most likely be aboard ship somewhere in the world. Sailors can take on-line courses aboard ship. I'm just not sure about a nursing program (how would you do clinical work on real patients). Be sure to ask the Navy recruiter about this and if there are any on-line nursing programs available to sailors while deployed.

Thread Information