Marine corps reserves
Create Post

Marine corps reserves

Good Day Everyone,

I have a few questions about the Marine Corps Reserves. However, a bit of background info first. I was a Marine for 7.5 years, and got out as a Sergeant. I know how the pay works, and I know how the drill weekends go. I'm wondering how reservists like it. Especially those devil dogs who have made an active to reserve transition. I'm also trying to understand the IMA. I got out at 7.5 years, because I had no time as an infantryman in 29palms to go to school. I was either an operations clerk, or always getting some secondary duty that kept me busy. So my next question is, how did the reserves affect your school schedule? What would be the best option for a guy who is still in school full time? I also want to state just for the record that I miss the corps a lot. However, I feel as though my education needed to be completed in order for me to be better along. Thank for the advice in advance! RAH!

Respectfully,

Sgt Frausto

Similar Threads:

Can't answer all your questions.

I was on the Inspector-Instructor Staff here in Knoxville 84-87. Majority of our reservists were full-time students here at the University of Tennessee. Most of those were only in the reserves for the financial assistance and did not stay in after graduating. I'm sure there were some issues with classes and scheduling but I don't remember it being a big problem. Two weeks active duty for training is always held during the summer when most students are out of school.

You're going to have to talk to a recruiter at some point. They will be able to answer some of these questions. You can also arrange to meet with the local I-I Staff to see if they can help you (recruiters have their number). There are always reservists around the reserve center on temporary active duty orders you could talk to about their experiences.

Good luck Devil.

IMA program utilizes reserve Marines to augment active duty units to fill deployment requirements or to backfill for those deployed. You can arrange your schedule in most cases instead of doing the one weekend per month. Marines often will go in a few times a year to work with their active duty counterparts. Marine Force Reserve website has a list.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Can't answer all your questions.

I was on the Inspector-Instructor Staff here in Knoxville 84-87. Majority of our reservists were full-time students here at the University of Tennessee. Most of those were only in the reserves for the financial assistance and did not stay in after graduating. I'm sure there were some issues with classes and scheduling but I don't remember it being a big problem. Two weeks active duty for training is always held during the summer when most students are out of school.

You're going to have to talk to a recruiter at some point. They will be able to answer some of these questions. You can also arrange to meet with the local I-I Staff to see if they can help you (recruiters have their number). There are always reservists around the reserve center on temporary active duty orders you could talk to about their experiences.

Good luck Devil.
    Top,

Thanks for advice. I'm already in contact with the prior service recruiter in the Dallas Metro Area. I'm more just looking for personal aspects of it, and what Reservist's think is the better choice. I've learned that if you actually listen to the Marine who've been there, and take a piece of humble pie. You learn a crap ton more than being belligerent. Seriously, though you were in before I was even born! RAH!

Semper Fi Top!

Quote Originally Posted by Blutic View Post
    IMA program utilizes reserve Marines to augment active duty units to fill deployment requirements or to backfill for those deployed. You can arrange your schedule in most cases instead of doing the one weekend per month. Marines often will go in a few times a year to work with their active duty counterparts. Marine Force Reserve website has a list.
    Sir,

I appreciate the info on the IMA. I think I'm more interested in that component. I'll definitely look into MARFORRES. Thanks!

Semper F!

Thread Information