What is it like in the Radio Operator MOS as a female?
Create Post

What is it like in the Radio Operator MOS as a female?

I recently made the switch from the Navy's DEP into the Marines DEP. As of right now I have an open contract until I choose my job and I'm really interested in being a radio operator. I would like to know more about it and how it would be as a female.

P.s. Wouldn't care what type of unit id be attached to. Preferably something where I won't be sitting around state side.

Thanks in advance!

Similar Threads:

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You can read my bio and see some interesting things. You can also read under your posting " Similar Threads " to get more of an idea of what that MOS entails. You are going to be hard pressed for a Female Marine Radio Operator to answer your questions but might get lucky with recently separated Male Marines who worked alongside with some.

Best of luck.

Thank you! I did check out the threads. But there wasn't anything I could find about the female side of it.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Your welcome. Hang in there. Other Marines will be by.

in short, there IS NO "female side of it"... as a radio operator, you will find that there is a "ground side" and a "wing side", otherwise, radio operators in the Corps do pretty much the same thing regardless, which is COMMUNICATE... if you are assigned to a ground unit, you will most likely be doing some "humping" of that radio equipment, spare batteries, and your personal and "782" gear... in the wing, you will do the same, except that you MIGHT get an occasional "lift" to your AO by helicopter..... if you are seeking a MOS with a "female side" you might want to consider something else, like MP for instance...

Primary targets for snipers:

1. Radio operators (eliminate the enemy's capability to communicate/call for support). That antenna on your back makes you an easy target. And, there is always an officer nearby as an added bonus.
    2. Officers (eliminate the enemy's leadership/decision makers).
    3. Crew served weapons (eliminate the enemy's machine guns, mortar teams, etc).

Just to make sure you understand what you're wanting.

What Top said - and what Top said - that's the basic scoop right there.

That said, a comm MOS is a pretty good one for both a career in the Corps and for civilian life afterwards. Every unit has some kind of communications need, so you can end up anywhere Marines go (which isn't always good, but...) and then when you do get out, I can confirm that there are a lot of good jobs for experienced communicators.

Especially if you get some crypto or cyber experience. With that, you're golden in the civilian market.

Good luck with whatever works out!

Quote Originally Posted by oldtop View Post
    in short, there IS NO "female side of it"... as a radio operator, you will find that there is a "ground side" and a "wing side", otherwise, radio operators in the Corps do pretty much the same thing regardless, which is COMMUNICATE... if you are assigned to a ground unit, you will most likely be doing some "humping" of that radio equipment, spare batteries, and your personal and "782" gear... in the wing, you will do the same, except that you MIGHT get an occasional "lift" to your AO by helicopter..... if you are seeking a MOS with a "female side" you might want to consider something else, like MP for instance...

Lol That's not what I mean by asking about the female side of things. I meant like do you see females being successful in this job? What's the female to male ratio? Are they frowned upon? And so on and so forth. I'm not looking for a female job.

Never saw one. But, past females never had the opportunities females today have. All MOS's are open to females now. So, that includes field radio operators. The ratio will remain low while females strive to meet the gender-neutral eligibility criteria and are approved to move into these assignments. It will stay on the low end because not that many females are interested in humping all their personal gear/weapon PLUS however much the radio and extra batteries weigh (whenever they're attached to an infantry unit). Personal gear/weapon can weigh around 60-90 pounds depending on the mission. Add another 20-30 pounds for the radio/batteries. To get an idea. Put a pack on your back with 100 pounds of gear inside. Boots, no hiking shoes. Start walking (add in some hills because you need to get to the nearest hill before the enemy does). Let us know how it went.

Being female should not even be part of your question, females can be successful at any job and any MOS. Obviously there have to have been a few females that are decent I know of a few SNCO Radio Chiefs.

For some reason everyone wants to bring gender into the equation when it shouldnt be. Example there are Males who cant pass SOI there are some females who have not everyone will make it but some do. There are Males who will never earn the title of Marine some Females will a lot will not take the gender out of your mind and stop using it as a crutch.

Do or do not there is no try ~ Yoda

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You can send a PM to member Commdog7. She hasn't been on the forum for around 8 years but I've seen many answer a question after all that time. She is the Top Female Comm Marine I have ever seen on this forum.

If anything, you can click on her profile and read her posts.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/me...57829-commdog7

The field radio operator is on the right (the antenna on his back is the giveaway):

Thread Information