Re-enlisting after admin sep
Create Post

Re-enlisting after admin sep

Hello Marines,

I enlisted in 2006 and was discharged in 2009 for my back with an admin sep. Now that I got a Bachelors I was considering enlisting as an officer. My questions are:

1. Would I have to go to OCS? Can I choose to if it's not a requirement?
    2. If I chose to go enlisted, would I / could I go to bootcamp again?
    3. Is 28 too old?

Basically, I'd love to relive the experience again from the ground up.

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    Your quickest accurate answer lies with a local recruiter
    Go forth seek answers

OCS = YES
    Enlisted Boot Camp = NO
    CHOICE = NO in either case
    28 too old = NO

Getting back in with an admin separation? Depends on your RE code RE-1 = yes; RE-2 requires HQMC WAIVERS; RE-3 requires WAIVERS + proof that cause of a RE 3 code has been corrected or no longer exists (ie: back issue has been resolved by a surgery that prevents a recurrence of that injury, something that is NOT LIKELY to happen); RE-4 means it is not likely that you will ever re-enlist in any branch at any level during your current lifetime
    Hope this answers your questions, and before you ask, ONLY the ISSUING AUTHORITY can change a "RE Code", you have to make a request to the Naval Discharge Review Board for such a change, something that is RARELY granted, and only with good reason under extenuating circumstances...

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You got an Admin Sep for a back injury in the Marine Corps instead of a Med Sep ? I don't think so.

Sorry to tell you but the Marine Corps is at their capacity right now and those lucky enough to get in are young hard chargers with an almost perfect PFT Enlisted or Officer and certainly no prior service at 28 years old with a medical discharge.

Congrats on your Degree and get yourself a nice desk job and take care of your health.

Best of luck.

You live in Hyannis, MA ? One of our respected members on the forum lives right near you. Perhaps you know him. Former hot shot attorney. Username USMC 2571. Send him a PM. Maybe he can help you get back in.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtop View Post
    OCS = YES
    Enlisted Boot Camp = NO
    CHOICE = NO in either case
    28 too old = NO

Getting back in with an admin separation? Depends on your RE code RE-1 = yes; RE-2 requires HQMC WAIVERS; RE-3 requires WAIVERS + proof that cause of a RE 3 code has been corrected or no longer exists (ie: back issue has been resolved by a surgery that prevents a recurrence of that injury, something that is NOT LIKELY to happen); RE-4 means it is not likely that you will ever re-enlist in any branch at any level during your current lifetime
    Hope this answers your questions, and before you ask, ONLY the ISSUING AUTHORITY can change a "RE Code", you have to make a request to the Naval Discharge Review Board for such a change, something that is RARELY granted, and only with good reason under extenuating circumstances...
    Great thanks for all the helpful information.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky C View Post
    You got an Admin Sep for a back injury in the Marine Corps instead of a Med Sep ? I don't think so.

Sorry to tell you but the Marine Corps is at their capacity right now and those lucky enough to get in are young hard chargers with an almost perfect PFT Enlisted or Officer and certainly no prior service at 28 years old with a medical discharge.

Congrats on your Degree and get yourself a nice desk job and take care of your health.

Best of luck.

You live in Hyannis, MA ? One of our respected members on the forum lives right near you. Perhaps you know him. Former hot shot attorney. Username USMC 2571. Send him a PM. Maybe he can help you get back in.
    Yes, an admin sep for a medical issue. It doesn't make much sense, I know, but that's what it was. It wasn't an immediate injury, but one that happened over a period of time.

Thanks for your advice and it's great to hear that there are more brothers in the area.

Wouldnt hurt to try but where as you were already separated with a medical concern they arent going to take their chances with a prior service and just get a younger individual who isnt broken or set in his ways.

Thread Information