Female Crew Chiefs
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question Female Crew Chiefs

I have been wanting to join now for the last nine months and hopefully sign an AG/AF contract. I've been reading and asking some friends who are also Marines about being a crew chief (most of them are mechs). A lot say it's a really cool job with challenges but they wouldn't change it even if they had the chance. I can never really get a straight answer about females as crew chiefs or how they are treated. Most people I talk to say females are treated equal but I just don't hear about too many female crew chiefs. I was wondering if there was a reason for that? Also, any general advice on joining as a female? I'm hoping to get some female's to respond to this post, but of course all responses are welcome. Thanks guys.

Guy's ??? How about Marines. There are Male and Female Marines on this forum !

Rocky

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Rocky C; 04-27-16 at 04:17 PM. Reason: MARINES !!!!!

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    You'll get some responses, just hang in there.

I was in from 63-69, and I never had a female crew chief; that doesn't mean that there wasn't any; it just meant that I never flew with or seen one during the time I was in. Times have changed since I was in however, particularly the recent edict to use females in combat roles, and a crew chief is definitely(for) the most part a combat role.

There are several air wingers on the forum; maybe they can chime in and give you the information you are seeking.

alg-marine1.jpg

More history was made at the White House Thursday when President Obama climbed aboard his waiting helicopter: An all-female Marine Corps crew was taking him to Andrews Air Force Base.

It was Maj. Jennifer Grieves' last day in a rotation that made her the first female pilot of Marine One.

To honor her achievement, Thursday's three-person crew was made up of women - another first.

amd-pilot.jpg

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    And another one.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...hp?86861-First female Marine One pilot lifts off for the last time with first all female crew

I've only had 2, but I know 4. They're pretty rare, and to be honest the only thing I notice is the voice in my ear telling me "down 20, 10, cleared below, cleared to land" is slightly higher pitch than usual. I don't think there's much reason to believe there's any discrimination. Being a crew chief is much more about what you know about your aircraft, how well you work with people, and not how fast you can run 3 miles.

Then again, my dad was a mech and a crew chief/flight engineer, so he's instilled in me an attitude of "love, take care of, and appreciate all your crew chiefs from the beginning." So, I don't really notice the whole gender bit.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    djj34, good to see you post, brother.

Credits
    Savings
    I know you cannot start off as a crew chief so what is your job before? And how do you work up to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Maddie119 View Post
    I know you cannot start off as a crew chief so what is your job before? And how do you work up to it?
    Sheesh, we need a Winger here - Lieutenant, would you like to take a stab at this? Good to see you posting again, too, like Billy said!

Or we can wait, I know we have a few old crew chiefs around here. The job hasn't changed, or the career track.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddie119 View Post
    What did your Active Duty Marine Friends say when you asked them that question ?

All the crew chiefs I've known started in airframes, powerline or avionics.

Credits
    Savings
    I just recently had my recruiter put me on the phone with someone who came from the same station as me; he told me that there aren't too many females in this job because it's a demanding job, training/school is difficult, as well as it being a combative job. But from what I've read and heard, they don't see combat that often or sometimes not at all. He also told me that in a sense, everyone that's apart of that platform is a crew chief. You either switch with the others on what position to work or you pick and master that one specific one.
    And I could be completely wrong because maybe this guy was lying or I just misunderstood. But that's what I took from the conversation.

And I swear in on Tuesday (:

As a female that was formally in the Air Wing (Air frames Mech) I can tell you that as long as you do your job and prove that you know your aircraft then they don't treat you any different than one of the "guys".

As for becoming a crew chief, it is an actual MOS that you have to make the cut for. The training is very strenuous and you must be a very good swimmer as this is a big part of the training. Once you complete the basic Crew Chief school you will then find out what model aircraft you will serve on and then will head to the mechanic school for that particular air frame. This is very important because as a crew chief you will need those skills in the event that something happens when in flight. Also while you are not flying you will be wrenching (or should be).

Hope that helps.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Where you been D.......?We need you to sweeten up the forum. Take care Sweetie.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Welcome back stranger

Thread Information