Preparing for Boot Camp

The more you can prepare in advance, the better off you will be. Preparing for everything in your life no matter how important it is will help you beyond beleif. Knowledge is power. It always benefits you if you know what is going on or at least have some knowledge. Things like the news, the war, church, family, school...everything. The same is true for Marine Corps Recruit Training.

Before I begin listing all the required knowledge and imformation. I'm going to update this info with some helpful tips.

A key phrase to learn is, "Weapon, Gear, Me".

Weapon:Your weapon is more important than you are. If a rifle is missing EVERYTHING on base stops until its located. In combat your weapon is whats going to save your life. Learn its parts and make damn sure its clean. Its is very hard to keep it spotless. Buying q-tips is very helpful for those hard to reach places. It also helps you find out where the carbon build up is, being as how its black.

Gear:You and you alone are accountable for your gear. Know where everything is at all times. Make sure you label everything. ABSOLUTELY never leave any gear unattended or unsecured. It will come up missing or the DIs will throw it everywhere. You need to keep all of your issued gear in good condition. Its never fun telling your DI you ****ed up your gear.

Me:You are last for a reason. Weapon, Gear, Me is not a boot camp term. Its a Marine term. It applies for the whole time you're in the Corps. You need to make sure all your gear is squared away and you are prepared for the next day before you start writing letters home. Your family cant help you. Only you AND your platoon can help you.

TEAMWORK: You are not only accountable for yourself, but your platoon as well. If Johnny screws up then you screwed up. You will learn this very early on. The faster your platoon learns this, the smoother recruit training will go. Trust me, your DIs will be very thankful if they can trust your platoon to take care of stuff on there own and know youll be squared away. Wich in turn means less time around them and getting yelled at. If you are a squad leader or are the guide than you are held even more accountable than everyone else.

If someone on your squad screws up its your fault. They will be punished and probably quarted-decked, wich means you will also. You are a team. If Johnny gets yelled at because his rack isnt squared away or his uniform is unsat(unsatisfactory) then your letter home needs to wait. You need to help Johnny fix his problems. The term "You're only as strong as you're weakest link", is never more important than in recruit training. Its the DIs job to teach you the right way to do things and how things work. The way they go about that job isnt the easiest way. Police yourselves and take care of each other. Help each other out. Its a lot easier than the alternative, wich is the DIs way. I cannot stress enough how important teamwork is.

KNOWLEDGE: I have listed all the knowledge that is neccesary further down in this post. Don't stress it to much though. You will learn a lot of it in classes and when marching around base. When marching to different areas, and while cleaning rifles you will recite "diddys". These are short little bits of knowledge. Example: Your DI yells "Article 128", the platoon then would say"Sir, Article 128 is Assault Sir" They will teahc you acronyms that will help you remember things. You will say them everywhere you go. There is no need to stress over them now. Just firmiliarize yourself with them and you'll do ok.

Sundays: On Sunday mornings you get a large amount of "free time". They have church services you can attend and there is also time when your in the squadbay able to write home and square away your gear. Its important to take advantege of the 4-5 hours without the DIs. They will still be around so dont horseplay or lounge around. They will be a little bit more leniant though during this time. DO NOT abuse it. You will pay for it and regret it. Sundays are a day for you to de-stress a little bit. Its also a great time to review knowledge, practice making racks, practice drill(ask first though since it requires you unsecuring a rifle), do some PT, square away gear, remark your gear, and then if you have time(which you will) write home to the family.

PT: Do not slack off. It pays off for you to get in the best possible shape. You need to give it 110% EVERY time. It will pay off when your doing MCMAP, humps(hikes), Confidence and Obstacle courses, and the Crucible. Your PT score affects your promotions so keep that and the other things in mind when you want to half-ass it.

SPEED/VOLUME/INTENSITY:
Speed: It is imperative that you always move as fast as you can. It doesnt matter if is showering, shaving, getting gear on or off, getting in formation, or eating chow. Speed is key to everything you do in training. The faster you do things the easier life will be.

Volume: You will be ordered to soundoff at the top of your lungs at all times. It isnt because the DIs cant hear. Its for a few reasons. 1. When reciting knowledge it is helpful for some people to hear it. They learn better that way, and you may to. 2. Its helps you to learn to always speak up and be heard, wich is useful in the future. 3. Most importantly... its to build your voicebox and make it stronger. In combat its hard to hear over rifles, machin guns, explosions, and other things. If you need to yell cease fire you need to have a strong voice to be able to yell over all that noise and be heard. If you dont lose your voice every 2-3 weeks your not screaming loud enough. DIs do yell day in and day out for a 4 year period of time, and they still lose their voices.
Intensity:You need to give 110% in everything you do. Take pride in yourself and do your best. You'll be surprised at how much you can do and achieve when you give it everything you have. If you're slacking the DIs will notice an you will pay. Save yourself the trouble. Give it your all and be the best.

Warrior Mindset: Its the way you think. Remember every Marine is first and formost a rifleman. You join a warrior culture when you join The Corps. We are a war fighting military branch. So before you start thinking that stuff you do is pointless remember that little tid-bit. Yelling is for combat, sitting indian style is for getting you flexible for shooting, marching is about organization and teamwork, getting dressed and doing everything so fast is about war. You never know when youll be attacked orreceive new orders. There isnt time for you to take your sweet ass time. If you do its just going to get someone killed. EVERYTHING has a purpose.

Sleep: You need to make sure you sleep at night and dont stay up reading letters or day dreaming about home or your partner. You need your rest. You have to do firewatch wich already makes you lose some of that sleep. If you give 110% everyday then you shouldnt have any problems falling asleep the second the lights are off. You will be driven hard, mentally and physically and need every bit of sleep you can get... AT NIGHT. DO NOT fall asleep during classes or on post. If you fall asleep during class you will be "woken up" during the break... which means the sand pit. Theres nothing worse than sand in your crack all day. If you get tired drink water or get up and stand in the back. You need to learn the knowledge they are teaching you because you will be tested. Youre only hurting yourself if you fall asleep. ABSOLUTELY NEVER EVER SLEEP ON POST! It is one of the worst things you can do during training. You will pay like hell for it and then lose more sleep because youll probably have firewatch everyday for a week or two. If you fall asleep on post you can be court martialed. During traing it is highly unlikely but in the Fleet, there is 0 tolerence. You will be court-martialed.

The most important thing for you to learn prior to shiping out are your 11 General Orders. You will be on Firewatch many times. This is considered a gaurd post. The 11 General Orders are mandatory knowledge to perform your required duties as assigned.

Its important to know Starboard is the right side of a ship or the right bulkhead(wall) in your barracks and Port is the left side. The D.I.s will not say left side or right side, they will use the naval terms. If you want to save yourself an ass chewing for stepping of the line accidently, memorize these two terms.

It is very usefull to buy ziplock bags, both large and small, when you take a trip to the PX. When the D.I.s flip your footlockers and give you one mintue to put everything away, you'll be very thankful that you have a few bags to pick up instead of 40 small things. It always helps to be organized.

Organization is key. There will be many times during your training when you have to load your packs step by step with the D.I.s yelling instructions. They will give you very limited time to find things and you need to know EXACTLY where they are. Its not fun being the guy that doesnt know where his gear is.

Volunteering: BAD IDEA! I actually volunteered once for something I had no clue what it was. Turns out it was for a surprise trip to the sandpit. Usually they ask for volunteers for working parties and stuff. Every now and then its for something youd actually want to do but its rare. If your trying to stand out and be squad leader or guide... go ahead and volunteer for everything. Just be prepared for what might come with it.

Platoon Guide and Squad Leaders: This is for all you studs out there that want to be the "best". You need to be a leader, be in great shape, volunteer, and stand out for good reasons. The most important thing you need to do is understand what leadership is. Its not about words or actions. Its about lots of things combined. Its as much about the details as it is about the large things. Im not going to explain what leadership is. I will not give you a false sense of understanding of what leadership is. You either have it or you dont. Its a huge responsibility to be in charge of a group of people. As guide or squad leader you will pay for all of there mistakes and you will be held more accountable than anyone else. However its not about the consequences. Its about what you can do to help your platoon and those under your command. If your put in a leadership position I wish you luck and hope you remember to put them first.

Attention to Detail: It is very important wether its refering to your uniform, your gear, your rifle, your knowledge, drill, your actions, patrols, or combat. You need to not look at the big picture, but rather what makes up that picture. Example: Your boots and uts(your cammis)... are there IPs(irish pendants aka loose strings), are there wrinkles, are the creases right, are your sleeves tight, are they the rolled the right length, a\is your cover on correcytly, are your boots cleaned? its the little things that will get you. I remember getting yelled at during initial inspections for having a stray nose hair. If thats not little I dont know what is

Situational Awareness: You need to know whats going on around you. Example:If your in the med bay you should be reviewing knowledge when your not being seen. Yet you need to be watching for all officers so you can give the proper greeting of the day and stand at attention as they pass. You need to pay attention to the door so you open it for EVERYONE thats coming or going. It can be tricky at times knowing everything thats going on. The more aware you are the better you will do now and after training

ASVAB/MOS

The Marine Corps converts the ASVAB subtest scores into five composite score areas, known as "line scores." The line scores determine what job(s)/MOS(s) an individual qualifies for. The ASVAB subtests are: General Science (GS); Arithmetic Reasoning (AR); Word Knowledge (WK); Paragraph Comprehension (PC); Numerical Operations (NO); Coding Speed (CS); Auto and Shop Information (AS); Mathematics Knowledge (MK); Mechanical Comprehension (MC); Electronics Information (EI); and Sum of Word Knowledge and Paragraph Comprehension (VE). Marine Corps Line Scores are determined as follows:
CL—Clerical—VE+AR+MK
EL—Electronics—GS+AR+MK+EI
GT—General Technical—VE+AR
MM—Mechanical Maintenance—NO+AS+MC+EI
ST—Skilled Technical—GS+VE+MK+MC

MOS- Your Job. With most jobs you pick a field not a job. After recruit training and MCT(Marine Combat Training) you will go to a school for your field and they will assign you your job there. The higher you score at your school the more likely of a chance you have of picking your desired job. Although the Corps needs overrules your wants. For Infantry you will fill out a wish list at ITB(Infanty Training Battion). You will also be evaluated on your skills and that "helps" determine what job you will be assigned.

The Physical Part

You need to prepare yourself physically by getting in basic shape. If you can do okay on the physical test prior to your shipout date youll be fine. DONT STRESS!!!

It's important that you get into some resemblance of physical shape. Concentrate on running three miles and long marches. Sit-ups and pull-ups are also important. If you are unable to perform basic exercises, you may spend a significant amount of time in PCP (the Physical Conditioning Platoon). PCP is tough: PCP's objective is physical fitness, and that's what you'll be conentrating in while in the program. Individuals remain in PCP until they can pass the fitness test. While it is normally a 21 day program, once you're in, you don't get out until you can do 3 pull ups, 40 sit ups in 2 minutes, and run 3 miles in 28:00 minutes.

If you arrive overweight, your Drill Instructor may put you on a "Diet Tray" for your meals. (On the other hand, if you arrive underweight, you may be put on "double-rations.")
If you struggle considerably you need to dedicate some time to building your strength. I suggest doing body weight workouts, for several reasons. The first, these are the type of exercises you will be performing while in boot camp. You will give yourself a chance to learn many exercises and how they are performed correctly in a comfortable and less stressful environment. Also your body is the only piece of equitment you will ALWAYS have with you. You cant ship your gym everywhere you go. You will learn wourkouts you can use the rest fo your life.

You do not need to overtrain to get in shape. The DI's push your limits... thats their job. If you can only do 85 pushups until failure, then you'll do 86. If you can do 1,000 you get to do 1,001. The DI's will build you up and you'll do fine.

Do not forget to do stretches before and after all exercises and runs.
Run, run, and run some more. You'll be doing lots of it in boot camp so get used to it now. A good way to build yourself up is to take a timed run. The length is your choice, but preferably as long as possible. Run every other day and add 2 minutes time the runs everytime. Dont worry about speed only the time. Later you can worry about getting faster.

If you are used to running and take regular runs then try adding short sprints randomly in the middle of your runs then return to normal speed. It will add variety and also make you faster.

The Initial Strength Test (IST). - Performed when you arrive at boot camp

Male Female

2 Pull Ups Flexed Arm Hange - 12 seconds
35 Sit Ups (2 minutes) 35 Sit Ups (2 Minutes)
1.5 Mile Run - 13:30 1 Mile Run - 10:30

Memorization...

These are e several of the most common items recommended to memorize prior to your arrival at PI/SD...

You should memorize U.S. Marine Corps Rank.

The 11 General Orders of a Sentry
1. Take charge of this post and all government property in view.
2. Walk my post in a military manner, keeping always on the alert and observing everything that takes place within sight or hearing.
3. Report all violations of orders I am instructed to enforce.
4. To repeat all calls [from posts]more distant from the guardhouse than my own.
5. Quit my post only when properly relieved.
6. To receive, obey, and pass on to the sentry who relieves me, all orders from the Commanding Officer, Officer of the Day, Officers, and Non-Commissioned Officers of the guard only.
7. Talk to no one except in the line of duty.
8. Give the alarm in case of fire or disorder.
9. To call the Corporal of the Guard in any case not covered by instructions.
10. Salute all officers and all colors and standards not cased.
11. Be especially watchful at night and during the time for challenging, to challenge all persons on or near my post, and to allow no one to pass without proper authority

U.S. Marine Corps' Core Values

Honor
Honor guides Marines to exemplify the ultimate in ethical and moral behavior; to never lie cheat or steal; to abide by an uncompromising code of integrity; respect human dignity; and respect others. The quality of maturity, dedication, trust and dependability commit Marines to act responsibly; to be accountable for their actions; to fulfill their obligations; and to hold others accountable for their actions.

Courage
Courage is the mental, moral and physical strength ingrained in Marines. It carries them through the challenges of combat and helps them overcome fear. It is the inner strength that enables a Marine to do what is right; to adhere to a higher standard of personal conduct; and to make tough decisions under stress and pressure.

Commitment
Commitment is the spirit of determination and dedication found in Marines. It leads to the highest order of discipline for individuals and units. It is the ingredient that enables 24-hour a day dedication to Corps and country. It inspires the unrelenting determination to achieve a standard of excellence in every endeavor.

Code of Conduct
1. I am an American, fighting in the forces which guard my country and our way of life. I am prepared to give my life in their defense.
2. I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command, I will never surrender the members of my command while they still have the means to resist.
3. If I am captured I will continue to resist by all means available. I will make every effort to escape and to aid others to escape. I will accept neither parole nor special favors from the enemy.
4. If I become a prisoner of war, I will keep faith with my fellow prisoners. I will give no information or take part in any action which might be harmful to my comrades. If I am senior, I will take command. If not, I will obey the lawful orders of those appointed over me and will back them up in every way.
5. When questioned, should I become a prisoner of war, I am required to give name, rank, service number, and date of birth. I will evade answering further questions to the utmost of my ability. I will make no oral or written statements disloyal to my country and its allies or harmful to their cause.
6 . I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.

My Rifle: The Creed of a US Marine
by Major General William H. Rupertus (USMC, Ret.)
(written following the attack on Pearl Harbor)

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...
My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit...
My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage as I will ever guard my legs, my arms, my eyes and my heart against damage. I will keep my rifle clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...
Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We
are the saviors of my life.
So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!

M16A2 and M16A4 5.56mm Rifles

Primary function: Infantry weapon
Manufacturer: Colt Manufacturing and Fabrique Nationale Manufacturing Inc.
Length: 39.63 inches (100.66 centimeters)
Weight, with 30 round magazine: 8.79 pounds (3.99 kilograms)
Bore diameter: 5.56mm (.233 inches)
Maximum effective range:
Area target: 2,624.8 feet (800 meters)
Point target: 1,804.5 feet (550 meters)
Muzzle velocity: 2,800 feet (853 meters) per second
Rate of fire:
Cyclic: 800 rounds per minute
Sustained: 12-15 rounds per minute
Semiautomatic: 45 rounds per minute
Burst: 90 rounds per minute
Magazine capacity: 30 rounds
Unit Replacement Cost: $586

Features: The M16A2 5.56mm rifle is a lightweight, air-cooled, gas-operated, magazine-fed, shoulder- or hip-fired weapon designed for either automatic fire (3-round bursts) or semiautomatic fire (single shot) through the use of a selector lever. The weapon has a fully adjustable rear sight. The bottom of the trigger guard opens to provide access to the trigger while wearing winter mittens. The upper receiver/barrel assembly has a fully adjustable rear sight and a compensator which helps keep the muzzle down during firing. The steel bolt group and barrel extension are designed with locking lugs which lock the bolt group to the barrel extension allowing the rifle to have a lightweight aluminum receiver.

Background: The M16A2 rifle is a product improvement of the M16A1 rifle. The improvements are:
heavier, stiffer barrel than the barrel of the M16A1;
redesigned handguard, using two identical halves, with a round contour which is sturdier and provides a better grip when holding the rifle;
new buttstock and pistol grip made of a tougher injection moldable plastic that provides much greater resistance to breakage;
improved rear sight which can be easily adjusted for windage and range;
modified upper receiver design to deflect ejected cartridges, and preclude the possibility of the ejected cartridges hitting the face of a left-handed firer;
burst control device, that limits the number of rounds fired in the automatic mode to three per trigger pull, which increases accuracy while reducing ammunition expenditure;
muzzle compensator, designed to reduce position disclosure and improve controllability and accuracy in both burst and rapid semi-automatic fire;
heavier barrel with a 1 in 7 twist to fire NATO standard SS 109 type (M855) ammunition which is also fired from the M249 Squad Automatic Weapon (SAW). This further increases the effective range and penetration of the rifle cartridge. The M16A2 will also shoot the older M193 ammunition designed for a 1 in 12 twist.

M16A4 Rifle
The M16A4 Rifle is a standard M16A2 Rifle with a flat top upper receiver and detachable carrying handle. The flat top upper receiver has an integral rail that is utilized (when the carrying handle is removed) to mount optical devices to the weapon. The M16A4 Rifle in combination with the M5 Rail Adapter forms the Modular Weapon System (rifle version) which provide soldiers the flexibility to configure their weapons with those accessories required to fulfill an assigned mission. There are no differences between the internal dimensions of the M16A2 Rifle and the M16A4 Rifle.

Marine Corps History
http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...mc/history.htm

Marine Corps Hymn

Only the first verse in neccessary but all of it is preferred.
From the halls of Montezuma
To the shores of Tripoli,
We fight our country's battles
In the air, on land, and sea.
First to fight for right and freedom,
And to keep our honor clean,
We are proud to claim the title
Of United States Marines.
Our flag's unfurl'd to every breeze
From the dawn to setting sun;
We have fought in every clime and place
Where we could take a gun.
In the snow of far-off northern lands
And in sunny tropic scenes,
You will find us always on the job
The United States Marines.
Here's health to you and to our Corps
Which we are proud to serve;
In many a strife we've fought for life
And have never lost our nerve.
If the Army and the Navy
Ever look on Heaven's scenes,
They will find the streets are guarded
By United States Marines.

Phonetic Alphabet
A Alpha
B Bravo
C Charlie
D Delta
E Echo
F Foxtrot
G Golf
H Hotel
I India
J Juliet
K Kilo
L Lima
M Mike
N November
O Oscar
P Papa
Q Quebec
R Romeo
S Sierra
T Tango
U Uniform
V Victor
W Whiskey
X X-ray
Y Yankee
Z Zulu

Individual Drill
You may choose to practice some Individual Drill but its not neccesary
http://usmilitary.about.com/library/...ll/bldrill.htm

Unofficial Dictionary for Marines
http://4mermarine.com/USMC/dictionary.html

List of Tasks for Graduation from Boot Camp

MILITARY JUSTICE AND THE LAW OF WAR TASKS:
Explain the purpose of the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ).
Identify offenses punishable under UCMJ.
Explain the forms of punishment that may be imposed for violations of the UCMJ.
Explain the major differences among the three types of Courts-Martial.
Explain the rights of the accused before judicial and nonjudicial proceedings.
Explain the purpose of nonjudicial punishment (NJP).
Explain the procedures for Request Mast.
Explain the five types of discharges which may be awarded a Marine upon separation.
Explain the nine principles of the Law of War.

MARINE CORPS ORGANIZATION HISTORY CUSTOMS AND COURTESIES TASKS:
Explain the Marine Corps mission.
Identify significant events in Marine Corps History.
Identify the historical significance of Marine Corps uniform items.
Explain common terms, sayings, and quotations used in the Marine Corps.
Perform required military courtesies and honors.
Describe the three sizes of National Ensigns.
Explain the customs of the Marine Corps.
Identify the location of the Marine Divisions, Air Wings, and Force Service Support Groups (FSSG).
Describe the Marine Air-Ground Task Force (MAGTF) organizations.
Explain the three classifications of Marine Corps awards.

CLOSE ORDER DRILL TASKS:
Explain the purpose of Close Order Drill.
Participate in unit drill (Platoon Level).

MARINE CORPS UNIFORMS, CLOTHING, AND EQUIPMENT TASKS:
Mark individual clothing.
Maintain clothing and equipment.
Stand a personnel inspection.
Stand a clothing and equipment inspection.
Wear uniform.
Maintain a professional personal appearance.
Maintain standards for civilian attire.

MARINE CORPS GENERAL LEADERSHIP TASK:
Explain the objectives of leadership.

SUBSTANCE ABUSE TASKS:
Explain the Marine Corps policy on the use of illegal drugs.
Explain programs created to combat the use of illegal drugs.
Explain the Marine Corps policy on alcohol abuse.
Describe indicators of alcohol abuse.
Identify the medical hazards of tobacco use.

TROOPS INFORMATION TASKS:
Explain education programs.
Describe authorized absence procedures.
Describe agencies that provide assistance.
Describe the factors affecting career development.
Explain the Marine Corps policy on sexual harassment.
Explain the Marine Corps policy on equal opportunity.
Explain the Marine Corps position on fraternization.
Identify means of protection from sexually transmitted diseases (STD).
Describe Occupational Field (OCCFLD) and Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) structure.
Explain the issues concerning pregnancy and parenthood.

COMBAT LEADERSHIP TASKS:
Define the term combat.
Identify the nine elements usually encountered in a combat environment.
Identify the five stresses a Marine may expect to experience in combat.
Explain the characteristics that enable Marines to overcome fear.

MILITARY SECURITY AND INTERIOR GUARD TASKS:
Explain the duties of the interior guard.
Explain the eleven general orders.
Stand a sentry post.
Identify the organization of the interior guard.
Explain deadly force.
Describe the key characteristics of terrorism.
Describe measures of self-protection against terrorist attacks.

CODE OF CONDUCT TASKS:
Explain the six articles of the Code of Conduct.
Explain the rights of a prisoner of war (POW).
Explain the obligations of a POW.

INDIVIDUAL WEAPONS TASKS:
Perform weapons handling procedures with the M16A2 service rifle.
Perform preventive maintenance on the M16A2 service rifle.
Engage targets with the M16A2 service rifle at the sustained rate.
Zero the M16A2 service rifle.
Engage stationary targets with the M16A2 service rifle at known distances.
Engage targets of limited exposure (time) with the M16A2 service rifle.
Engage targets during low light and darkness with the M16A2 service rifle.
Engage targets with the Ml6A2 service rifle while wearing the field protective mask.
Engage multiple targets with the M16A2 service rifle.
Engage moving targets with the M16A2 service rifle.
Engage targets at unknown distances with the M16A2 service rifle.

TACTICAL MEASURES TASKS:
Prepare individual combat equipment for tactical operations.
Execute individual movement in a field environment.
React to indirect fire.
Assume field firing positions.
React to enemy direct fire.
Camouflage self and individual equipment.
Employ techniques of unaided night vision.
Cook a Meal, Ready-to-Eat (MRE).
Erect basic individual shelters.

NBC DEFENSE TASKS:
Maintain the M40 field protective mask.
Don the M40 field protective mask with hood.

FIRST AID AND FIELD SANITATION TASKS:
Apply basic first aid.
Perform basic first aid preventive measures.
Practice basic field sanitation.
Transport casualties using manual carries and improvised stretchers.

PHYSICAL FITNESS TASK:
Maintain physical fitness.

COMBAT WATER SURVIVAL TASK:
Apply combat water survival skills.

BASIC CLOSE COMBAT SKILLS
Execute the basic warrior stance.
Execute punches.
Execute falls.

FIGHTING WITH THE RIFLE AND BAYONET
Execute bayonet techniques.

CLOSE COMBAT OFFENSIVE SKILLS
Execute strikes.
Execute chokes.
Execute throws.

CLOSE COMBAT DEFENSIVE SKILLS
Execute counters to strikes.
Execute counters to chokes and holds.

Required Recruit Information
You will take a test on these questions before you graduate boot camp. These questions cover many of the "Tasks for Graduation from Boot Camp"

1.Who are the personnel responsible for upholding the UCMJ.

A -All members of the armed forces, (active and reserve).

2.If a Marine is not at his appointed place of duty, what article of the UCMJ has that Marine violated?

A -Article 86, Absence without leave.

3.If an enlisted Marine tells his peers that their Second Lieutenant Platoon Commander is a total idiot, what article of the UCMJ has that Marine violated?

A-Article 89, Disrespect toward a superior commissioned officer.

4.If an enlisted Marine punches his/her Company Commander, what article of the UCMJ has that Marine violated?

A -Article 90, -Assaulting or willfully disobeying a superior commissioned officer.

5.If a Private tells a Corporal that he/she will not correct his/her uniform as the Corporal instructed, what article of the UCMJ has that Marine violated?

A -Article 91, Insubordinate conduct toward a Warrant Officer, NCO, or Petty Officer.
.If a Marine steals a pair of shoes from the Exchange, what article of the UCMJ has that Marine violated?

A-Article 121, Larceny and wrongful appropriation.

7.If a Marine gets involved in a bar fight, what article of the UCMJ has that Marine violated?

A-Article 128, Assault.

8.If a junior Marine has more than just a working relationship with a senior Marine, what article of the UCMJ has the Marines Violated?

A-Article 134, General Article.

9.Select the type of punishment that may be given orally or in writing, per Manual for Courts Martial.

A-Reprimand.

10.If a Marine has ½ of his/her pay and his/her housing allowance taken away, which type of punishment did that Marine receive.

A-Forfeiture of pay and allowances.
11.What type punishment would it be if a Marine is liable to the U.S. Government for a stated monetary value.

A-Fine.

12.What type of punishment would it be if a Marine loses his/her lineal standing.

A-Loss of numbers.

13.What type of punishment would it be if a Marine loses his/her rank, per Manual for Courts Martial.

A-Reduction in pay grade.

14.What type of punishment would it be if a Marine is not allowed to leave the base, but can go anywhere on the base.

A-Restriction.

15.If a Marine is awarded hard labor without confinement, identify the first individual who may award this form of punishment.

A-Battalion Commander.
16.If a Marine is placed in police custody, and taken to the Brig, what type of punishment did the Marine receive.

A-Confinement.

17.What type of punishment may be imposed aboard ship.

A-Confinement on bread and water.

18.If a Marine receives a dishonorable discharge, what type of punishment did the Marine receive.

A-Punitive separation.

19.If a Marine is convicted of a capitol offence, what is the most severe type of punishment that may be imposed.

A-Death.

20.What is the court-martial that the accused has the right to object to.

A-Summary Court-Martial.
21.What is the court-martial in which a bad-conduct discharge is the only punitive discharge that may be awarded.

A-Special Court-Martial.

22.What is the only court-martial in which the death penalty may be imposed.

A-General Court-Martial.

23.What are the rights provided by Article 31.

A-Right to remain silent, right to talk to a lawyer.

24.What would be one of the offences in which NJP can be given.

A-Article 121, Larceny.

25.If a Marine receives Company level NJP, select the appropriate punishment that may be awarded.

A-Restriction.
26.If a Marine is separating from the Marine Corps after 4 years of faithful service with 3.0/4.0 Pro/Con marks, what type of discharge he/she would receive.
A-Honorable.

27.If a Marine has a medical problem restricting the Marine’s performance of duties, what type of discharge he/she would receive.

A-General, Under Honorable Conditions.

28.If a Marine’s conduct has included drug abuse and administrative action is taken instead of a court-martial, what type of discharge he/she would receive.

A-General, Under Other Than Honorable Conditions.

29.If a Marine was convicted by a Special Court-Martial, what type of discharge he/she would receive.

A-Bad Conduct Discharge.

30.If a Marine was convicted of a General Court-Martial, what type of discharge he/she would receive.

A-Dishonorable.
31.If a Marine has a pay problem, what is the appropriate course of action he/she should take.

A-Request Mast.

32.If a Marine kills an enemy clergyman in a wartime environment, what is the principal of the Law of War the Marine violated.

A-Marines fight only enemy combatants.

33.If a Marine neglects to provide first aid to an enemy soldier after a firefight, what is the principal of the Law of War the Marine has violated.

A-Marines collect and care for the wounded, whether friend or foe.

34.If a Marine shoots an enemy doctor, what is the principal of the Law of War the Marine has violated.

A-Marines do not attack medical personnel, facilities, or equipment.

35.If a Marine’s mission is to demolish a bridge, but he also decides to blow up a church, select the principal of the Law of War the Marine has violated.

A-Marines do not destroy more than the mission requires.
36.If a Marine steals a gold ring from an enemy corpse, what Law of War the Marine has violated.

A-Marines do not steal.

37.Name an item that a Marine is not to accept from his captors, per the third article of the Code of Conduct.

A-Parole.

38.What are the four items that a Marine is required to give to his captors, per the fifth article of the Code of Conduct.

A-Name, Rank, Service Number, and Date of Birth.

39.What is the right of a POW.

A-Receive mail.

40.What is the obligation of a prisoner of war (POW).

A-Perform nonmilitary labor that is not humiliating, dangerous, or unhealthy for pay.
OK now we are finally done with the UCMJ, Code Of Conduct and Laws of War and we now are going to focus on the mission of the Marine Corps questions.

41.What is one of the elements of the Marine Corps mission.

A-Perform duties, which the President may direct.

42.Where is the location of the 1st Marine Division.

A-Camp Pendleton, California.

43.Where is the location of the 2nd Marine Division.

A-Camp Lejeune, North Carolina.

44.Where is the location of the 3rd Marine Division.

A-Okinawa, Japan

45.Where is the location of the 4th Marine Division Headquarters.

A-New Orleans, Louisiana.
46.Where is the location of the 1st Marine Air Wing.

A-Okinawa, Japan.

47.Where isthe location of the 2nd Marine Air Wing.

A-Cherry Point, North Carolina.

48.Where is the location of the 3rd Marine Air Wing.

A-Miramar, California.

49.Where is the location of the 1st Marine Logistics Group.

A-Camp Pendleton, California.

50.Where isthe location of the 2nd Marine Logistics Group.

A-Camp Lejeune, North Carolina.
51.Where is the location of the 3rd Marine Logistics Support Group.

A-Okinawa, Japan

52.What are the four core elements of the MAGTF.

A-Command, Ground Combat, Aviation Combat, and Combat Service Support.

53.If a Marine detail is carrying the National Ensign, what is the item describing the National Ensign.

A-Colors.

54.If a flag is mounted on a vehicle, what is the item describing the flag.

A-Standard.

55.If a platoon is marching behind the guide carrying a flag, what is the item describing the flag.

A-Guidon.
56.This flag is flown during inclement weather and measures 5 x 9 ½ ft. It is called what?

A-Storm Flag.

57.This flag is flown on Sunday and Holidays and it measures 20 x 38 ft. It is called what?

A-Garrison Flag.

58.This flag is flown on weekdays and Saturdays and it measures 10 x 19 ft. It is called what?

A-Post Flag.

59.What are the procedures for boarding a ship.

A-Face the rear of the ship and salute (the National Ensign), then salute the Officer of the Deck and ask, “Request permission to come aboard”.

60.What are the procedures for debarking a ship.

A-Salute the Officer of the Deck and ask, “Request permission to go ashore” then face the rear of the ship and salute the National Ensign.
61.Explain the procedures for entering a vessel, such as a small liberty boat, given a Private, a Sergeant, a Captain, and a Colonel.

A-The Private would board first, the Sergeant second, followed by the Captain, and then the Colonel.

62.Explain the procedures for exiting a vessel, such as a small liberty boat, given a Private, a Sergeant, a Captain, and a Colonel.

A-The Colonel would exit first, the Captain second, followed by the Sergeant, and then the Private.

What are the definitions of the following Naval terms.

63.Bow.

A-Front of ship.

64.Aft.

A-Rear of ship.

65.Galley.

A-Kitchen.
66.Brightwork.

A-Brass on a ship.

67.Scuttlebutt.

A- Drinking fountain or gossip.

68.If a Marine reports to a new command, select the uniform the Marine should wear, per MCO 1020.34F.

A-Service “A” also known as Alpha's.

69.What are clothing items that are proper civilian attire per MCO 1020.34f.

A-Clothing that is neat in appearance, proper fit and size, and is conservative in nature.

70.What are occasions for wearing civilian attire.

A-Leave, liberty, aboard ship, outside the United States.
71.What is the uniform item authorized for wear with civilian attire.

A-All footwear, black leather gloves, service sweater.

72.What are clothing items that are eccentric or fail to meet standards, per
MCO 1020.34f.

A-Clothing with ethnic remarks, earrings on male Marines.

73.What are the categories of authorized awards.

A-Personal, Service and Unit.

74.What is the primary objective of Marine Corps leadership?

A-To instill in all Marines that they are warriors first in order to win wars.

75.What is the statement describing the Marine Corps policy on the distribution of illegal drugs.

A-Not tolerated.
76.What is the statement describing the Marine Corps policy on the possession on illegal drugs and drug paraphernalia per MCO 5300.12A.

A-Not tolerated.

77.What is the statement describing the illegal use of drugs.

A-Not tolerated.

78.What the statement that describes the urinalysis-testing program, per MCO 5300.12A.

A-Designed to identify and deter illegal drug use.

79.Select the purpose of the Marine Corps urinalysis program.

A- Established for the systematic screening of Marines regardless of rank for the presence of drugs.

80.What is the statement that describes alcoholism.

A-Use of alcohol that effects performance, debilitates health, and contributes to disorderly conduct.
81.What are the indicators of alcohol abuse.

A-Blackouts, hangovers, fatigue, illness, conflict.

82.What is the Marine Corps policy on tobacco use in the workplace.

A-Tobacco use is legal, but discouraged due to health risks.

83.What is the definition of leave.

A-Authorized absence which is charged against leave accounts.

84.How leave is accrued.

A-Every month a Marine earns 2 ½ days.

85.What are the types of leave.

A-Advanced, Annual, Convalescent, and Emergency.
86.What are the 2 types of liberty.

A-Regular and Special.

87.What is the mark of “excellent” in Proficiency/Conduct marks for a Marine.

A 4.5/4.5

88.The threatening of one’s career in exchange for sexual favors in a work-related environment is the definition of what?

A-Sexual harassment

89.Fair and equal treatment to every person, regardless of age, sex, race, or religion is the definition of what?

A-Equal Opportunity.

90.A social or business contact among Marines of different grades that undermines good order and discipline is the definition of what?

A-Fraternization.
91.If a Marines MOS is 0311, what numbers describe his Occupational Field?

-A 03

92.What are the procedures for challenging personnel.

A-1) Take cover. 2) State “Halt, who goes there?” 3) If not recognized state “Advance to be recognized.” 4) If not recognized examine ID. If not recognized detain and call the Corporal of the guard.

93.What are the six billets of the interior guard per NAVMC 2691A.

A-Sentries, Corporal of the Guard, Sergeant of the guard, Commander of the guard, Officer of the Day, Commanding Officer.

94.The efforts of an individual used against another to cause death, substantial risk of death, or serious bodily harm is the definition of what?

A-Deadly Force.

95.The unlawful use of violence against individuals to intimidate governments to achieve political, religious, or ideological objectives is the definition of what?

A-Terrorism
96.What are the 4 measures of self-protection against terrorism.

A-Maintain a low profile, be unpredictable, remain alert, and protect your vehicle.

97.Select the birthplace of the United States Marine Corps.

A-Tun Tavern located in Philadelphia, PA.

98.What is the birth date of the United States Marine Corps.

A-10 November 1775.

99.Where was the location of the first amphibious assault in Marine Corps history, which was lead by Samuel Nicholas.

A-New Providence, Bahamas.

100.Who was the Marine Known as “the Grand Old Man of the Marine Corps,” who served 38 years as Commandant of the Marine Corps and initiated the “Force in Readiness” concept.

A-Archibald Henderson.
101.Who was the first Marine to be awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor.

A-John Mackie.

102.This uniform item is a cross-shaped braid worn by Marine officers and originated to enable sharpshooters to distinguish between friend and foe.

A-Quatrefoil.

103.What is the origin of the term “Leatherneck”.

A-Nickname given to Marines because they wore leather collars from 1775-1875.

104.What is the origin of the Mameluke sword.

A-Given to Lieutenant O’Bannon for actions at Tripoli.

105.What is the significance of the scarlet trouser stripe.

A-Worn by all noncommissioned officers, staff noncommissioned officers, and officers for actions at Chapultepec.
106.What is the significance of the Marine NCO sword.

A-Marine NCOs are the only NCOs authorized to carry a sword.

107.What is the significance of the three elements of the Marine Corps emblem.

A-Eagle for Nation, Globe for worldwide service, Anchor for Naval traditions.

108.What is the meaning of the Marine Corps Motto “Semper Fidelis”.

A-Always Faithful.

109.Name the two Marines awarded two Marine Corps Medals of Honor.

A-Daly and Butler.

110.What was the year Marine aviation began.

A-1912
111.Who was the thirteenth Commandant of the Marine Corps who guided the Corps toward the amphibious assault role, established the Marine Corps Institute, and organized Headquarters, Marine Corps.

A-John A. Lejeune.

112.What are the customs associated with the Marine Corps Birthday.

A-Troop formations, Marine Corps Ball, Lejeune’s Birthday Message.

113.What was the year women joined the United States Marine Corps.

A-1918.

114.What is the historical significance of the French fourragere.

A-Worn for accomplishments at Belleau Wood, Soissons and Blanc Mont.

115.What is the origin of the term “First to Fight”.

A-Recruiting poster slogan during WWI.
116.What is the origin of the term “Devil Dog”.

A-Nickname given to Marines by German Soldiers.

117.Where was the first amphibious landing, which applied the principals established by the 1938 Fleet Training Publication 167.

A-Guadalcanal.

118.Where was the battle, which proved the need for more Landing Vehicles Tracked (LVTs).

A-Tarawa.

119.Where was the battle, which was fought in order to provide a landing strip for strategic
bombers.

A-Iwo Jima.

120.What is the name of the Marine who was awarded the Medal of Honor for actions during the battle of Guadalcanal and gave his life on Iwo Jima.

A-John Basilone
121.What is the significance of the phrase “Uncommon Valor was a common Virtue".

A-Stated by Chester Nimitz about Marines at Iwo Jima.

122.Where was the battle where the First Provisional Marine Brigade had to reinforce the U.S. Army’s 24th Division in South Korea.

A-Pusan.

123.Where was the amphibious landing, which was opposed by nearly all high-ranking officials in the Department of Defense.

A-Inchon.

124.Where was the battle in which General Smith stated, “We are not retreating, we are attacking in a different direction”.

A-Chosin Reservoir.

125.Who was the Marine awarded five Navy Crosses.

A-Col. Puller.
126.What were the three developments, which were the result of the fighting in Korea.

A-Flak jackets, thermal boots, Vertical Envelopment doctrine.

127.What was the year the office of the Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps was established.

A-1957.

128.Where was the battle in which Marines were held under a 77-day siege by the NVA.

A-Khe Sanh.

129.What was the significance of the TET offensive.

A-The North Vietnamese met with disaster while trying to capture South Vietnamese cities.

130.Where was the battle during the TET offensive in which Marines had to fight house-to-house and street-to-street.

A-Hue.
131.Who was the Marine who was instrumental in the development of the Marine Scout Sniper Program.

A-Carlos Hathcock.

132.What was the operation in which the Marines evacuated American medical students from Grenada.

A-Urgent Fury.

133.What was the date the Marine Barracks was bombed killing 220 Marines in Beirut, Lebanon.

A-23 October 1983.

134.What was the operation in which Marines were sent to apprehend Manuel Noriega.

A-Just Cause.

135.Select the battle, which was the first ground engagement with Iraqi forces in the Persian Gulf.

A-Al-Khafji
136.Name the operation in which Marines were engaged in 27 firefights while conducting humanitarian operations in Somalia.

A-Restore Hope.

137.What are the means of protection used to prevent sexually transmitted diseases.

A-Condoms, Monogamy, Abstinence.

138.Name the three forms of contraception.

-Condoms, diaphragms, spermicidal creams.

139.Identify the symptoms of pregnancy.

A-Fatigue, swollen breasts, vomiting.

140.What are the responsibilities associated with parenthood.

A-Balance demands of a service career, and family responsibilities.
141.What are the symptoms of immersion foot.

A-Pale bluish skin as the pulse decreases.

142.What are the procedures for treating a blister.

A-Leave blister alone and keep feet dry.

143.What are the methods for preventing a foot injury.

A-Keep feet clean and dry and wear properly fitting boots and socks.

144.What is the first action taken upon viewing a person lying motionless on the deck.

A-Ask the person if they are O.K.

145.What are the four-lifesaving steps.

A-Start the breathing, stop the bleeding, protect the wound, and treat for shock.
146.What are the procedures for mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.

A-Survey the scene. Open the airway using head tilt/chin lift method. Check for breathing. Pinch nose and give 2 breaths. Check for pulse. Give 12 breaths per minute.

147.What are the procedures for mouth-to-nose resuscitation.

A-Survey the scene. Open the airway using head tilt/chin lift method. Check for breathing. Give 2 breathes through the nose. Check for pulse. Give 12 breathes per minute.

148.What are the procedures for chest-pressure arm lift respiration.

A-Press the casualty’s hands directly down, lift arms vertically, stretch the arms backward, and replace the casualty’s hands on the chest.

149.Name the wound that can be treated with a field dressing only.

A-Sucking chest wound.

150.Name the wound that can be treated with a pressure dressing.

A-Amputation.
151.What are the procedures for treating a victim for shock.

A-Position the victim, elevate the victim’s feet, prevent overheating or chilling, calm the victim.

152.What are the procedures for treating a closed fracture.

A-Gather materials, pad splints, apply splint, and tie non-slip knots on inboard side of limb.

153.What are the procedures for treating an open head wound.

A-Place a field dressing over the wound without pushing the brain back into the skull. Put no unnecessary pressure on the wound.

154.What are the procedures for treating an abdominal wound.

A-Give the victim nothing to eat/drink, remove clothing to expose wound, apply field dressing, and tie tails with a non-slip knot to the side of the wound.

155.What are the symptoms of a heat stroke.

A-Hot dry skin. Experience headaches and confusion. Weak pulse and breathing.
156.What are the procedures for treating heat exhaustion.

A-Move the victim to a shady area. Have the victim lie down and elevate legs. Remove clothing. Pour water on victim. Have victim drink at least one canteen slowly.

157.What are the methods for preventing a heat injury.

A-Acclimatization, consume salt in daily diet and salt food to taste, and drink water frequently.

158.What is a symptom of hypothermia.

A-Slow shallow breath.

159.What is the procedure for treating frostbite.

A-Place hands under armpits.

160.What is the method(s) for preventing a cold injury.

A-Proper clothing.

What you may need or want to take to boot camp:
1. Recruiter info and packet
2. Picture I.D.
3. SSN card
4. A few small pictures
5. 1 sheet with addresses of contacts that you will send mail to
6. 1 booklet of stamps
7. Up to $10 but no more
8. Prescribed medication

NOTHING ELSE... period!

I recommend you wear semi-nice trousers(nothing baggy or sagging), a belt, and a shirt that is tucked in. Also do NOT wear a Marine Corps shirt. You haven't earned it and the drill instrucotrs wont be happy. Remember though that your clothes will be in storage for 3 months so dont wear your nicest clothes or anything

** Note **

This is an updated repost of a previous post.
Contents were gathered from multiple sources.
It has been updated as of 12/17/2015 and will continue to be updated.