Old Man Looking to Join Reserve
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Old Man Looking to Join Reserve

Afternoon, Marines.

I want to be an officer in the Reserve. Currently, I am a nuclear engineer for the Navy (DOD civilian). I love my job, and I plan to work here until they force me to retire. I would be honored to serve as a weekend warrior for any branch of the military; however, there's something about the Marine Corps that really lights a fire in my belly.

I have the four-year college degree required for OCS (BSE in Civil and Environmental Engineering, minor in Business Administration). What I have going against me is my age. I'll be 28 in March.

As far as an ideal MOS is concerned, I've got a few. Ultimately, though, I'd be willing to consider any and every opening that would be available to me. I'm not particularly excited about the idea of working a desk job, but if that's what the USMC would demand of me then I would do it with pride. After all, I'd rather be a Marine who does paperwork than some wannabe civilian who spends his life explaining to himself why he didn't serve.

I know that my next step is to contact a recruiter. Should I walk into my local recruiting office(s), or should I seek out an OSO by using the USMC website?

Does anyone know what exactly the age cutoff is? I've heard 28, and I've heard 29. I understand that there's such a thing as waivers, but I'm not going to count on getting one of those.

Mostly, I came here to get some insight and advice pertaining to the Reserve (pros vs. cons), OCS, MOS recommendations that anyone has, my age, and the recruiting process. Any wisdom would be very much appreciated.

Thank you, Marines.

-TJ