College and Active Duty
Create Post
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

College and Active Duty

Hello Marines. I would like to attempt to complete as much college as I can during my enlistment, to save time and money. My recruiter does Aviation Electronics and said that he would go to work for an average 8 hour day and then go to college classes in the evening. I am enlisting with a 58xx contact, so I was wondering if I would have time like that to attend classes? If I don't have time for that, would I be able to take classes online so I could make it fit more of my schedule? Any input is appreciated thank you

Similar Threads:

Obviously, a lot depends on your daily work schedule. Working a routine 8-5 shift, like an Aviation Electronics Marine would do, makes class work much easier. They most likely get weekends/holidays off also.

The 58XX field (military police/corrections) means shift work. Shift work makes going to class and taking online courses more difficult but still manageable. MP's and prison guards also work weekends/holidays.

Point is, your recruiter's MOS is much more conducive to going to college than the MOS you're interested in is. So, it's not really a fair comparison.

Another factor you can't weigh till you get there, is the command's attitude toward off-duty education. Some command's take off-duty education more seriously than others. Some just give it lip service but don't actually support it. For example. You may have a class scheduled for Thursday evenings. Thursday may be field day for your unit (when your room in the barracks must be scrubbed down and then inspected after work). Some units allow off-duty education Marines to miss field days, and some don't. Same with duty NCO - some allow you to switch duty assignments and some don't.

With all that being said. I was able to complete both my AA and BS degrees while on active duty (and that was before online classes were even invented). So, yes, it is possible.

Read the similar threads beneath your question for more info.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    As Top says, so many variables.

Thread Information