How Did You End Up Joining The Corps? - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Resurrecting this thread. Why? Because there are so many additional members now who might want to contribute to this thread. I find it interesting, how we ended up joining, and why.

Credits
    Savings
    Any more folks, join in and tell us how you ended up in the Corps and not the other branches or in any branch at all....as I said before, a USMC buddy of mine had an appointment with a Navy recruiter in Kentucky. My buddy reported as scheduled, but the Navy guy was a little late returning from lunch, so the wily Marine Corps recruiter stepped into the hallway, and said, hey, he's not back yet, let's CHAT. And that chat resulted in signing up yet another Gyrene. LOL. How big things turn on very small incidents.

I come from a long line of poor white trash family.

My sweet granny was a hard corps sweet old gal.

At a young age I admired her for her whiskey drinkin'...tobbacy chewin'....cigar smokin'.....poker playin'.....number runnin' life.

When she passed she was found in bed......with a smile on her face.

And on her nightstand was her teeth... a number card...a mason jar with three fingers of Jack.....and a White Owl cigar butt.....

A tough old gal ...who was my inspiration for joining the Marines.

As a young man in Hawg Holler.....I came from a long line of military vets who enlisted to escape the fields....mines and mills

I was determined to have more than a few coins in my pocket...and see the world and get laid in the most exotic of places.

I did leave with the blessing of the family matriarch my granny......never to live in those hills again.

I do sometimes ponder and reminisce about the fartin'

contests with the neighbor white trash from one hill to another to see whose echo was the longest and loudest..

and the chicken **** squishing between my bare toes.....

But the best thing I did on dat'

Saturday morning years ago was.....take a bath...get dressed in my meetin' clothes....

put on my Sunday shoes and go to town to get granny a fifth of Jack!

Seen a USMC recruiter on liberty leaving his office getting ready to go to the afternoon matinee picture show...he told me to come on in sit on down......

and da' rest is history.

Credits
    Savings
    Chuck, that factual story tore at my heartstrings something fierce.

Scored an 1190 on the SAT and realized I was to dumb for college at the time lol. Apparently not too dumb to fix multi million dollar aircraft and weapon systems.

Short version of my story? Wanted to prove I wasn't like the rest of my family.

Well, I did.

Oh, and I had dreams of becoming an officer. Turns out you don't get a medical waiver for OCS if you have 20/400 vision! Somehow both my recruiter and then later the OSO were a little optimistic about the chances of that (I know, who woulda thunk it, right?)

So here I am.
    s/f!

Back in the late 60's.....

My intention was to join the USAF, but not being gradiatied yet....well they said "Go talk to the Marines" so I did.

Well I guess you know what happened....quit HS and joined the Corps

The only regret thought my entire life is I didn't retire....But been a United States Marine for 46years

Semper Fi Bros.

I just realized I already answered this one before. So maybe my memory ain't what it used to be, at least everything's always new and exciting for me now!

Credits
    Savings
    lol

So here I am.

Oh you little beatnik....you!

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    Oh you little beatnik....you!
    Groovy, man!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by madsox View Post
    I just realized I already answered this one before. So maybe my memory ain't what it used to be, at least everything's always new and exciting for me now!
    Glad to see I aint the only one who has brain farts Andy lol. But why did I join the Corps, I was going to go Navy because my uncle was in the Navy but I also had a uncle in the Air Force and Army and several cousins in the Army and Air Force. I grew up on a farm, so the Air Force and Army came and talked to me, the Navy never did. Then that Marine showed up and said, well, you can join the rest or become the best, its up to you.
    And oh, by the way, that Air Force recruitor got arrested for rape later that year, seems he was telling the young ladies that in order to be accepted they had to sleep with him.
    But I became a Marine because I wanted to be the best and finaly make my grandpa proud of me, in his eyes I was worthless no matter what I did. When he passed he told my mom, tell him I am sorry. They knew he was about to pass and asked him who he wanted as pall bearers, he said my Marine in his uniform and I dont care who you pick for the rest. And yes, I carried him out while in Dress Blues, just as he requested.

Quote Originally Posted by troop901 View Post
    But I became a Marine because I wanted to be the best and finaly make my grandpa proud of me, in his eyes I was worthless no matter what I did. When he passed he told my mom, tell him I am sorry. They knew he was about to pass and asked him who he wanted as pall bearers, he said my Marine in his uniform and I dont care who you pick for the rest. And yes, I carried him out while in Dress Blues, just as he requested.
    Excellent... That's what a Marine doe's..

Kudos...!!!

Wink

I was raised as a Navy Brat. My father was a Chief Bosun's Mate and a Black Shoe, Tin-Can sailor. My planned future was the Navy but in my last year of high school I met my Marine recruiter... 6'2", lean, pencil thin mustache and dress blue (Class C) uniform!!!

Between his very persuasive argument that the Marine Corps was looking for young tigers just like me... and if I was lucky he could get me into the infantry (he said he only had three openings left). To seal the deal he gave me a copy of Battle Cry (by Leon Uris) and asked me to read it and see if I might be interested. THAT DID IT!

Sailor Dad not so happy about my decision but the day after my 18th birthday I said good bye to the family I had always known and joined a new family for the rest of my life. I have never regretted a moment that decision to join the corps (well maybe those first few days of Bootcamp, )

Grew up without my dad around. Had a father figure who served in the Marine Corps during Vietnam but his story was a little different. He had been born and raised in Canada and came over to the U.S. to join to help in the fight. Was an amazing mentor to me and one of the driving forces in my life. Had it not been for him and the Corps I would probably still be stuck in the podunk town I grew up in with little chance at a better future.

Thread Information