NASCAR Racing - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NASCAR Racing

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Hi there, sorry for the delay in responding.

I am not sure about the sidewall issue however I have access to all my old team members on FB and one of them can get me that answer so I will ask.

Regarding the cost, in the Busch ( Nationwide ) series, a set of tires was $2,400.00 and we went thru about 5 sets on average per race. It was a lot of money when we were just running the 25, it was double that when we started running the 35 as well.
    In Cup, the tires pre the "next generation" race car were about $700.00 a set more than ours. Not sure how much Cup tires are now, I will ask that question as well.
    I just texted my old team manager about the tire question. Ill get back to you.
    S/F
    Gary

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    ** Update **

You now only have to answer where one of the races were won.

**Hint **

One of the races was won near where Gary W lives.

This is from Leatherneck COO Gray W.

Good Morning Marines.

Getting ready to move our offices and while packing I found a box of 1/64th die cast cars from the Team Marines Racing Team. In the spirit of the holidays and of course "Fun", I am going to send one of these to the first 50 of you that can answer the following Team Marines Racing question.

Name the cities/race tracks Team Marines Racing won races at ?.

The first 50 PM's to me with the proper answer will get the car!

Good luck!

Gary W

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?656-Gary-W

Credits
    Savings
    Happy to report that we have the first five winners of the Team Marines Racing 1/64th die cast. As I indicated in the responses, once we complete our office move between Xmas and new years, I'll start sending them out.
    Happy Holidays to everyone!
    S/F

Gary

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Let's get those PM's in everyone !!!

Credits
    Savings
    To all those that won 1/64th die cast in out little contest in December, I am happy to report that my move is complete, the box with the race cars has been found and I will start sending them out this week.
    Also, for you NASCAR fans, the 2016 Sprint Cup season opening race at Daytona is February 21st. Based on the performance of last years teams at Daytona and Talladega, who do you think will win the Daytona 500 this year? Curious who you think will win and why.
    All the best!

GaryW

Credits
    Savings
    Click image for larger version

Name:	12108249_1069443006421061_7558036482574938698_n.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	29425

During one of our base visits, we had the chance to pull the car out on to the flight line and get this shot.
    Pretty cool!

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Awesome Picture !!!

Credits
    Savings

Name:	07BE6283 ks03.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	29494Click image for larger version

Name:	07BE9235 - marines vip's.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	29495Click image for larger version

Name:	07BE9082 2cms03.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	29496
    Promised I would share some photo's from the Team Marines Racing archives with NASCAR fans on Leatherneck.com. Attached are a few of the team photos where Marines were on hand to "hang" with the team.
    GaryW

Credits
    Savings

Name:	07BE9528 - marines team lg grp.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	29497Click image for larger version

Name:	Memphis Sams 250178 - bobby and the general2.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	29498Click image for larger version

Name:	Kentucky#13.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	29499
    Here are a couple more from our "dream" season where we won 4 races. Would have won the championship if Greg Biffle did not wreck us at Kansas. Pictured here a photo's from our win at Memphis, Kentucky and Chicago. The Chicago win was pretty special, Ed Rensi and I live here ( two of the three team owners ) and we led 99% of the laps. It was quite a day.
    GaryW

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Wow, awesome pictures Gary !!!

Credits
    Savings
    Good morning!

I have been watching the most recent coverage of the two "big" NASCAR issues of the day, the first bring the start of the 2016 season this weekend in Daytona ( the 500 is a week from Sunday ) and the second and most significant issue is the new Charter System for owners.
    As a previous NASCAR owner, the issue was the only way to make money in NASCAR was to have more sponsorship/winnings than expense. And while this pure business profit/loss model worked for those with the best team/drivers/sponsors, it failed teams that performed anywhere from the middle of the pack down in Cup, anywhere beyond 10th place in Nationwide, and any team but the first place team in the Truck Series. The sponsorship income and weekly race winnings just did not cover the rising cost of running a full season in any of the three top NASCAR series.
    That changes with the Charter System. Now, owners have something that will grow in value just by having it. There will be a finite number of charters so if you want to "play" and be guaranteed a starting position each week for your sponsor, these charters will have significant value for owners, something that is long overdue.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Morning Gary. Long overdue is right ! Great Post !

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Daytona 500 comes to the airways to wave the start flag on the NASCAR season.

Drivers, start your engines as Daytona 500 kicks off the 2016 NASCAR season and the Chase for the Cup. The Sprint Unlimited is over and the CAN-AM Duel helped set the 40-car field participating in the Sprint Cup’s first race of the year.

Two NASCAR legends, Jeff Gordan and Tony Stewart, are out of the field, leaving the race wide open for someone to come away victorious with the win in the Super Bowl of NASCAR. However, Gordan’s first-hand experience and time spent driving in multiple Daytona 500’s and other races will be called upon often as part of the FOX broadcast team.

The coverage begins on FOX at 1:00 p.m. EST as another NASCAR season gets underway. Every driver is in the same place with zero points in the Chase. It’s a fresh slate for every team who are all looking to improve upon their 2015 season’s looking to come away victorious with the Sprint Cup once November is over.

Joey Logano won the 2015 Daytona 500 and looks to repeat in 2016. Find out all the information related to Sunday’s Daytona 500 on FOX below. The big race will also be streamed for those who are not in front of their television on race day for the marathon in terms of NASCAR races.

Date: Sunday, February 21, 2016
    Time: 1:00 p.m. ET
    Track: Daytona International Speedway
    Television: FOX
    Live Stream: FOX Sports GO

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Hamlin edges out Truex Jr. in closest Daytona 500 ever

With a Hail Mary move, Denny Hamlin ended Joe Gibbs' 23-year drought at the Daytona 500.

Hamlin pulled out of line with a lap to go Sunday to make a run at his first Daytona 500 victory. He chased down teammate Matt Kenseth, staved off Kenseth's block, and wedged between Kenseth and Martin Truex Jr.

Hamlin stayed in the gas for a door-to-door dash to the checkered flag that ended in a photo finish with Truex. He beat Truex by 0.010 seconds, the closest finish in the history of the race.

"I don't know where that came from, I don't know what happened, I can't even figure out what I did," Hamlin said. "It all just came together. But this wouldn't be possible if it wasn't for Toyotas sticking together all race long."

It also was Toyota's first Daytona 500 victory. Gibbs, who in November celebrated with Kyle Busch the team's first Sprint Cup title in a decade, won the race for the first time since Dale Jarrett in 1993.

Gibbs had made it clear that he had no use for the victories his drivers collected in the exhibition races leading into Sunday's season-opener -- Hamlin and Busch each won one race in the buildup to the opener. But the three-time Super Bowl winning coach was focused only on the "Great American Race" and his four drivers brainstormed on the best way to get a win for Gibbs.

Hamlin, Kenseth, Busch and Carl Edwards stuck close together for most of the race, and they got assistance from Martin Truex Jr., who became a de facto JGR teammate this year when Furniture Row Racing moved to Toyota.

Kenseth was out front and leading Truex until the final lap when Hamlin finally jumped out of line to make his attempt at the win. Starting a second line on the outside, Hamlin got a push from Kevin Harvick that allowed him to catch Kenseth. Kenseth tried to throw a block but Hamlin wedged into the middle between Kenseth and Truex, and Kenseth had to save his car from wrecking.

"The last thing I wanted to do was wreck off turn four with my Toyota teammates and none of us win," Hamlin said. "We had talked about a plan overnight to just work together, work together and I've never seen it executed so flawlessly.

"I said with two to go that we have to get the team victory no matter what it takes and I essentially was trying to go up there and block (Harvick) to keep him from getting to those guys."

But the push from Harvick was so strong, Hamlin was able to race for the win.

Truex, who spun the loss as a positive in that he proved to JGR that he and Furniture Row Racing will be strong partners, wasn't sure what he could have done differently.

"It hurts a little bit," Truex said. "I think the only thing I should have done different was been a little more aggressive coming to the line, holding Denny up the race track. That last split second when he pulled off my door, that was it. It gave him that couple inches to beat me to the line.

"It's hard to make those decisions. Live and learn. I think if I get in that position again, I'll do it a little bit differently."

Toyotas swept the podium as Truex was second, and Busch third. Carl Edwards was fifth as Toyota took four of the top five spots. It comes three months after Busch gave Toyota its first championship.

"This was our 10th try at the Daytona 500," said David Wilson, president of Toyota Racing Development, who called the win the biggest in Toyota history -- trumping even the 2003 Indianapolis 500 victory.

"When we came into the sport, we struggled. We were not ready. We didn't know. And so it's taken time for us to collectively build an organization of winning races and competing for championships."

Busch felt it was clear in the closing laps that a Toyota was likely going to win, but waited too long to make his move.

"I figured it was five to go that it was every man for himself," Busch said. "Once Denny jumped up, he just got such a huge boost from (Harvick). Once he did it, I swore I thought about doing it. Once I thought about doing it and didn't do it, it was too late. That was it. You can't think that long and not make the move at the same time."

Kenseth faded to 14th.

"They don't get much more crushing than that," Kenseth said. "If I can't win, I want my teammate to win. There's a million things you could do differently, but I did what I thought I should do at the time to try to win. We finished terrible, but that was the move I thought I had to make to try to preserve the win."

Dale Earnhardt Jr., seeking his third Daytona 500 victory, came up empty as he tried to force his way through the field late in the race.

Earnhardt was using the high line to inch closer to the front, and when he tried to get a side draft from another car, he spun through the fourth turn. His Chevrolet hit an interior wall and then ricocheted into the grass, where Earnhardt found himself stuck.

Earnhardt was a heavy favorite to win and brought a car nicknamed "Amelia Earhart" that had appeared to be unbeatable. Amelia won four races -- including a qualifier at Daytona earlier this week -- and never finished lower than third in seven starts over the past year.

"Caught me by surprise there," Earnhardt said. "We were making some ground on the leaders a little bit so that was looking pretty good because the outside line really hadn't been doing anything all day. Just busted my butt there. Driver mistake."

Credits
    Savings
    It's funny, I swore I was not going to watch the race. The last few years races were so boring I fell asleep during them all. This year, that last few laps and the DH win, along with an amazing "team" strategy and execution by Joe Gibb Racing made watching the race pretty exciting. If NASCAR can get close to this level of excitement at other races/tracks this season, they might start pulling fans back in. Will wait and see!
    GaryW

Thread Information