Looking for advice - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonahC View Post
    yeah one of the main things that made me feel more inclined to chose reserves was the fact that i was told being in reserves i would be getting ~$600-$700 per month (I'm not solely interested in pay but since i wish to make a career out of this i certainly do need to make sure I'm making enough to support myself) but i looked at the pay charts and that's certainly false
    did your recruiter tell you that?

As a junior LCpl you'll be lucky to bring home about $300-$350 on a long drill weekend out in the field(8-9 drill points).

As a 6+ year Sergeant I bring home about $500 on a long drill weekend after taxes, health insurance, and SGLI(life insurance). Most drill weekends are short 4 drillers where I will net about $300.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    did your recruiter tell you that?
    Sad to say but yes that was what I was told directly and is one of the main things that threw me off guard and made me look further into it and i am certainly glad i did look into it.

Recruiters are pushing the reserve side because the active duty side is being drawn down (as you know). It's cheaper.

Because of the drawdown as well, there are fewer reenlistment options (as already mentioned). Lots of Marines (some with families) with career aspirations are being let go - regardless of their service record. Nothing wrong with hoping for a military career, but it's not something one should plan on anymore. You should always have a plan B.

Thread Information