Calling all musicians ! MEOP
Create Post

Calling all musicians ! MEOP

Hi marines,

i was wondering if being a musician, (not commandant, or president's own) but i believe they were called regional or expeditionary bands.

how does this lifestyle differ from a typical marine, in which i have some questions

1.) i heard the crossrifle insignia is replaced with a harp insignia, yet i see marine musicians with crossrifles

2.) to my understanding and research, the entire band deploys when needed in a combat zone ?

3.) do you still have a choice like any other marine in your destination i.e. west coast, east coast, overseas.

4.) what level are marine musicians typically at, based on a high school senior entering
    District level ? regional level ? state level ?

5.) what was the hardest obstacle that you faced as a musician in your audition process and (musical) journey ?

thanks for your feedback

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I hate musician/band Marines.....that's all I got to say

forgot to add question 6

6.) are MEPS doctors more lenient with MEOP applicants health problems if they are fully waived by civilian doctors ? (because this isn't a combat MOS)

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I'll answer in here....

Because I have had a few encounters over my career that try flex their rank when they have ZERO experience doing anything on the tactical/operational level. They are all skaters(get out of the usual Marine Corps BS) because of their job......tooting on a f*****g horn.

All band members IMO should be like The Presidents Own, make them all SSgts but don't hold any sort of command/leadership billet. That way they don't get in the way of the real Marines that actually get $hit done.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Bandsmen, not in the President's Own, are fully qualified Marines. You have to meet all of the normal criteria to enlist, plus have musical qualifications.

As far as bandsmen not being a combat MOS, think again. The primary combat job of a division or wing band is HQ security and are trained as such. Only the President's Own is a non-combat job.

Only the President's Own wear rank insignia with a harp device instead of crossed rifles. They also must meet physical and grooming standards. Probably every applicant to the Marine Band will have at least a bachelor's in music, and likely a graduate degree as well.

That's what i've been told aswell on musical forums, but i've seen people join fresh out of high school (not that i know) some auditions great, some not so much, musicians are pretty tough to find i presume

We had a unit from the band relieve us when we rotated home from our second tour. It was a soup sandwich. They sucked at everything Marine related. Sucked hard. That's my only experience with them, and it was far from positive.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by silveradomick View Post
    We had a unit from the band relieve us when we rotated home from our second tour. It was a soup sandwich. They sucked at everything Marine related. Sucked hard. That's my only experience with them, and it was far from positive.
    They actually had band members doing stuff??....gross. All band Marines did in Afghanistan, from what I saw, was like gate guard duty on a few motor pools within Camp Leatherneck. Not downgrading the importance of the job at all, just pointing out that they weren't really allowed outside the wire...for obvious reasons

Thread Information