medical discharge from boot - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer3 View Post
    Here's my question. I am aware that a recruit who is medically discharged is eligible for medical treatment at a VA, under certain conditions.

Isn't a VSO(Veteran Service Officer) only for Veterans. A VSO primarily counsels and presents the Veterans case for disability ratings, that result in compensation for the Veteran.

In this case,( the recruit) is not a Veteran; was not a member of the Marine Corps; so why would she need a VSO? I believe she would be eligible for medical treatment, and for that she wouldn't need a VSO.

I may be wrong; but I've been a member of the VA for many years only because I am a Vet, and have service connected injuries.

If I am wrong; I will stand corrected. I am aware where spouses, children; etc; are treated by the VA, but they do not have to have a VSO to be treated.
    I may be wrong, but I think they are referring to going to a VSO to help with the paperwork and to submit it.
    No one should ever have to deal with the VA without help....

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckH View Post
    I may be wrong, but I think they are referring to going to a VSO to help with the paperwork and to submit it.
    No one should ever have to deal with the VA without help....
    agreed.....VSOs, VFW, Legion, and other VETERAN support services should be left for VETERANS...not wannabes who couldn't make it through boot camp....

what help does that leave for OP's daughter?....I don't know....but again using veterans organizations isn't acceptable to be considering there are veterans out there left hung out to dry and can't get the help they need

If she is being medically discharged her VA paperwork will already be started for her before she leave Parris Island.

Thanks for the answers to my questions!

Semper Fi!

Hammer

Man, if you guys are so worked up about this. Go to the VA website. See extractions below:

Federal Benefits for Veterans, Dependents and Survivors

Veterans of the United States armed forces may be eligible for a broad range of benefits and services provided by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Some of these benefits may be utilized while on active duty. These benefits are codified in Title 38 of the United States Code. This booklet contains a summary of these benefits effective Jan. 1, 2013. For additional information, visit www.va.gov.

General Eligibility:
    Eligibility for most VA benefits is based upon discharge from active military service under other than dishonorable conditions. Active service means full-time service, other than active duty for training, as a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, or as a commissioned officer of the Public Health Service, Environmental Science Services Administration or National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, or its predecessor, the Coast and Geodetic Survey.
    Dishonorable and bad conduct discharges issued by general courts-martial may bar VA benefits. Veterans in prison must contact VA to determine eligibility. VA benefits will not be provided to any Veteran or dependent wanted for an outstanding felony warrant.

Certain VA Benefits Require Wartime Service: under the law, VA recognizes these periods of war:
    Mexican Border Period: May 9, 1916, through April 5, 1917, for Veterans who served in Mexico, on its borders or in adjacent waters.
    World War I: April 6, 1917, through Nov. 11, 1918; for Veterans who served in Russia, April 6, 1917, through April 1, 1920; extended through July 1, 1921, for Veterans who had at least one day of service between April 6, 1917, and Nov. 11, 1918.
    World War II: Dec. 7, 1941, through Dec. 31, 1946.
    Korean War: June 27, 1950, through Jan. 31, 1955.
    Vietnam War: Aug. 5, 1964 (Feb. 28, 1961, for Veterans who served "in country" before Aug. 5, 1964), through May 7, 1975.
    Gulf War: Aug. 2, 1990, through a date to be set.

Basic Eligibility

A person who served in the active military, naval, or air service and who was discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable may qualify for VA health care benefits. Reservists and National Guard members may also qualify for VA health care benefits if they were called to active duty (other than for training only) by a Federal order and completed the full period for which they were called or ordered to active duty.

Minimum Duty Requirements: Veterans who enlisted after Sept. 7, 1980, or who entered active duty after Oct. 16, 1981, must have served 24 continuous months or the full period for which they were called to active duty in order to be eligible. This minimum duty requirement may not apply to Veterans discharged for hardship, early out or a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty.

It is hard for a recruit to get the information they need to set themselves up for success post military. This is due to the nature of the recruit-training environment and the lack of access to the internet. She is a little better off because she is in the FRSP. She should be able to ask questions that other recruits would get laughed at, yelled at, or smoked for asking. Her best bet is to ask the medical providers lots of questions, ask her chain of command questions, and also the chaplain. Resources are available and the squeaky wheel gets the grease! She should consider contacting the VA immediately for the Benefits Delivery at Discharge program. This can help ease her transition to civilian life be ensuring that the VA is prepared to give her care from the day she leaves the Corps.

http://benefits.va.gov/predischarge/...-discharge.asp

Thread Information