Crypto Linguist Information
Create Post

Question Crypto Linguist Information

I am a Poolee and just passed the DLAB with a score of 135. I was told that it is very likely that I will be going to the Defense Language Institute for MOS training. While this excites me, as I was very much hoping for the opportunity, it also makes me nervous now that the possibility is more real than abstract.

Any Marines with experience as a Cryptolinguist, I would be very interested in learning more about the school and the classes taught there. I'm also curious as to whether anyone particularly enjoyed or struggled with learning a certain language.

Also, does receiving a score of 135 mean that I am definitely going to be assigned a Category 4 language, or could it be any of the languages that suits the current needs of the Corps?

Thank you for any advice on this subject.

Similar Threads:

No experience with Crypto or the DLI in Monterey, CA but always heard Mandarin Chinese is one of the most difficult languages to learn because of its myriad dialects.

My experience with learning languages was on embassy duty (MSG duty). MSG Marines must complete at least 100 hours of local language training as provided by the Department of State (we learned much more from our girlfriends). Can take more if one wants to. I spent both my MSG tours in Latin/South America and the Caribbean. Studied and learned Spanish (Guatemala and Nicaragua), French and Creole (Haiti), and Brazilian Portuguese (Sao Paulo, Brazil). Of those, French and Creole were the most difficult for me.

Read the similar threads below your question. Good luck.

All I know about DLI is what my buddy told me. He's in the Air Force and when he went through DLI he complained about all the hot Air Firce poontang shacking up with Marines. So yeah, have fun banging Air Force chicks. Otherwise, good luck, don't get caught doing dumb ****, work your ass off, and someday you'll be writing your own paychecks in an Intel related job of some sort.

What everyone above me said is true. My good friend went to DLI as an Arabic Linguist. It was a long school, and extremely challenging academically. His instructors were civilians and Middle Eastern immigrants so the learning curve was steep. It was a high paced learning environment and you either worked your ass off and kept up with the coursework, or fell behind, failed and got re classed to a different MOS. This is all according to my buddy (Marine). Beyond that I don't know much about it.

Was it specified on your contract that you would be guaranteed linguist?

Thread Information