Soon to be College Graduate wanting to become a Marine.
Create Post

Soon to be College Graduate wanting to become a Marine.

Hello all,
    I will be attaining my bachelors degree in history in a year with around a 3.2 gpa, I would like to become a history teacher and a basketball coach, but before I pursue this career and get my teaching credentials I would like to join the Marines.

After I obtain my bachelors degree I understand that becoming an officer would be the main course of action, but my gpa isn't up to snuff and I don't have much leadership experience; I have volunteered coaching basketball and done community service, but I was no class president and did not join any clubs or groups in college. Due to my lack of leadership experience and my lower gpa I understand that I might not make the cut for OCS. I would like to become an officer, but If I dont make the cut, I have no problems enlisting

1) what are your thought on my chances of being accepted into OCS? I am in decent physical shape and can do 15 pull ups, 75 crunches and a 24 minute 3 mile.

2) If I do not get accepted into OCS, I can become enlisted correct?

3) If i was to be enlisted, how long would I serve (active duty and non active)?

4) Is there any way I could serve around 4 years in the Marines, then continue my process of becoming a teacher?

5) What course of action would you recommend for me? keeping in mind I do not want a career in the Marines, rather to serve 4 years or so and pursue my career in teaching.

Thanks for your time and help,
    Philip

Similar Threads:

1)probably very slim off of that pft score work on all of those numbers if you arent in the at least 275 range you will have a hard time getting accepted.

2) yes, you can go enlisted to officer or you can if you dont get accepted go enlisted but you cannot go officer to enlisted.

3) depends on your contract typically 4 active 4 IRR

4) depends on your contract but probably, it all depends on you

5) you do whatever you want it is your life not mine.

You do not have the drive/mentality it takes to complete PLC/OCS/TBS and attain an officer's commission. Nor are you fit enough. Prior leadership experience is not required (that's what officer training is for).

There is a national program designed to help veterans become teachers. You must agree to teach in school districts in cities like Detroit, Los Angeles, etc. GOOGLE "troops to teachers".

You need to talk to a recruiter.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    1) I wouldn't worry about your GPA too much, that physical shape you're in is what you need to be concerned about

2) yes

3) 4 years active, 4 years inactive(typical, varies though based on MOS)

4) yes, once you EAS/get off active duty you apply for a teaching just just as you would now

5) from the sound of your original post, you don't seem to thing to highly of yourself and don't have a clue as to what you want to do exactly. my suggestion would be to figure that out because if you join the Corps arbitrarily you will probably hate your life about a year in or so

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    True, in that joining up is not a decision to be made lightly, as is self-evident. To join just to be putting in 4 years with the Corps, then knowing you'll get out, why even bother? Knowing it is just a short interlude in your entire life, in the scheme of things, I would think twice and three times about this. It sounds legit, like something you want to do, but think about the actual motivation behind it.

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    You still have a whole year to go you said. Have a nice summer and put it on the back burner right now. You might change your mind by then.

BTW, what makes you think your going to end up with a 3.2 GPA?

I know, you got a crystal ball right ?

1) Get that PFT to a 275 as a solid base (work up to 285+). This will put you in the top 1/3rd as far as PFT scores go.

2) Yes, you can enlist if you're not accepted into OCS.

3) 8 years, generally (4 active/4 IRR OR 3 active/5 IRR, etc. 3 is the minimum time you spend on active duty).

4) Yes, you can.

5) Go officer, talk to an OSO, have him/her tell you what your chances are. SInce you'll be graduating soon, you're looking at the OCC program which is a bit more competitive selection wise than PLC is. However, take the year you have left in college to do more extracurricular activity, and get that GPA up a bit (3.2 isn't too bad to be honest). I would say your chances of selection would be pretty good if you play your cards right, and that means:
    A) improve your PFT

B) Get involved in some more clubs, activities, etc at school.

C) Try to bring that GPA up a bit to a 3.3 or so.

Like Tenn Top and others have posted I strongly question your motive about joining the Marine Corps. It's not like going to a job fair and submitting your resume. In simplest of terms it means learning to take on the toughest of assignments and getting yourself and your men through it alive. If you don't have this "fire in the stomach" don't pursue the Marine Corps.

I'm going to take a different tack here with regards to your motivation / suitability to become an officer of Marines. You see, that's the beauty of OCS - the Corps gets to see what you are made of and if you are officer potential, and likewise, you get to test drive the Corps a little bit. Acceptance to OCS does not guarantee a commission - so if it is something that you think is right for you, something that you want to do, then dedicate yourself to getting ready and give it a shot. If, at some point during or after OCS you decide "this ain't for me" then you are not obligated to accept commission.

With regards to GPA - talk to an OSO. Standards change, but the last I saw, 3.0 was the required minimum. Whether or not a 3.2 qualifies depends on your competition.

With regards to leadership experience - OCS will help draw out your leadership abilities.

With regards to your physical fitness - again, standards change but the last I saw a 275 wasn't cutting it. Sure, the minimum standard is a First Class PFT (225), but the level of competition was driving PFT scores to the 290 to 295 range.

So, my advice - if this is something that you want to do, then the first place to start is with your level of physical fitness. Increase your workout frequency and intensity and reach out to your local OSO.

Thread Information