How does MOS school work if you're married?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How does MOS school work if you're married?

Hello there,
    I had a question about Marine Cryptolinguist MOS school in Monterey. My husband is at MCT right now and will be going to Monterey. We still don't know what language he is learning, but I was told if his MOS is 35 weeks or more we could live together. I understand his works a little differently since it's intel. But we were planning on me just moving out there, since I can transfer my job there, so that way we can see each other at least on the weekends since he would have to stay on the base most of the time. But. Recently I heard from a girlfriend that her Marine couldn't leave the base for three months. I was just hoping to get any information I could or any experiences anyone has had with this.

Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Itll be at command discretion i would recommend not. His job will be to learn a language and focus on an MOS and if he focus' on you he will lose focus on his job ive seen it happen. Especially in linguist school they warn people that a lot of them become alcoholics because the school is quite stressful. But dont plan on being able to move there. It may happen but i wouldnt plan on it especially if he isnt an NCO.

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    Good points, and maybe calling the unit out there and speaking to someone in the admin office might be a good idea, the First Sergeant or someone else, if possible.

Alright. It's not like it would be base housing, I'd have my own apartment and everything. Plus I'd still be working. So, it would just be so we could see each other on weekends when he has liberty. This was more his idea than mine, since he would feel better with me out there. Especially since he's looking at two years of schooling. He would be more worried and stressed if I was still in IL, because of family issues.
    I feel like if I was out there it would help keep him calm for when he is stressed out, and not make him look to drinking or anything like that.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Good points.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I'll do some searching and see if I can come up with any info as to whether any office out there is equipped to answer these kinds of questions that probably come up all the time.

Thank you! I really appreciate it.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I will let you know what I find out, either here or via PM, or both.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Glad to help.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I would go with what 2571 told ya, hope it works out for you and your jarhead. He will not become a alcholic because of this. He will have alot of stress but who doesnt.
    SF

If his school is long enough, it would be considered a "permanent" duty station and therefore the Marine Corps would pay for your moving expenses and authorize you to live on base (if you want to). I would recommend waiting to decide until he gets there and you know for sure. That way, he can work on getting everything arranged for you.

You might want to check out http://www.trngcmd.marines.mil/Units.../NewJoins.aspx, and especially the link labelled "Marine Orientation Packet." There are no Marine Corps Community Services in Monterey (because there aren't that many Marines there), but you could also get in touch with Army Community Services or the Fleet and Family Service Center (Navy) to see if they have a Relocation Assistance Program.

It might be considered a PCS duty station my MOS school was the same way it was 7 months long anything over 6 is considered PCS but he will still be in student status that is a whole different ball of wax than being in the FMF. Especially if he isnt a lat mover he doesnt even officially have an MOS yet you dont rate the MOS until you graduate the school house. Where this takes biggest effect is if he gets promoted to CPL which if he isnt a terrible Marine will happen if he fails out of the school house he will be reduced back to his old rank because he only rates the promotion in that MOS.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I called Defense Language Institute, and they told me that your spouse should wait until he gets out there, find out which language, as some have said, the length of the school varies depending on what language he will be learning, there is NO prohibition as such about spouses living nearby, as to POLICY, though, he'll have to speak to his unit in person, as there are several Marine units in DFI, and of course your spouse has no idea which one he'll be assigned to. Sounds like a massive operation out there, and they were extremely helpful on the phone. Good luck to you, looks like your best bet is to wait, as you had evidently already planned on doing.

Quote Originally Posted by TigersGirl View Post
    If his school is long enough, it would be considered a "permanent" duty station and therefore the Marine Corps would pay for your moving expenses and authorize you to live on base (if you want to). I would recommend waiting to decide until he gets there and you know for sure. That way, he can work on getting everything arranged for you.

You might want to check out http://www.trngcmd.marines.mil/Units.../NewJoins.aspx, and especially the link labelled "Marine Orientation Packet." There are no Marine Corps Community Services in Monterey (because there aren't that many Marines there), but you could also get in touch with Army Community Services or the Fleet and Family Service Center (Navy) to see if they have a Relocation Assistance Program.
    With the languages he was told he would be learning (which of course could change!) were looking at almost two years at his MOS school. There is no base housing at Monterey, that's what he was told. But there might be the 'base housing' that's off base, I'm not sure yet! Oh that's wonderful, thank you so much for the info!

Thread Information