OCC Ground reserve to Active Duty Air - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thank you all for the continued input; it is very much appreciated.

I don't view my decision to attend OCS as a mistake in any way, nor do I regret signing a contract for the ground reserve. I am perfectly happy with the opportunity to serve my country in that respect. Furthermore, I also understand that military service is a privilege, not a right. My foremost goal is to earn the privilege to serve.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I was responding just to Munky's post 13, where he talked generally about a lot of questions here in Ask A Marine, felonies etc, so his post and my post had nothing to do with your situation as you outlined it....we got off on a tangent based on so many other threads in this section.....nothing at all to do with your posts....

No worries! As the OP I just figured I'd put that out there.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Good thing you did, we get carried away sometimes.

What about your situation has changed? Why do you want to go AD now instead of doing your original Reserve?

Thats the thing i am mainly on about for this one, did you not think the decision completely through? Did your situation change? What changed about the situation to make the reserves not so glamourous to you anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by MunkyVsRobot View Post
    What about your situation has changed? Why do you want to go AD now instead of doing your original Reserve?

Thats the thing i am mainly on about for this one, did you not think the decision completely through? Did your situation change? What changed about the situation to make the reserves not so glamourous to you anymore?
    No loss of glamour involved. I'm finishing my graduate degree in physics and chose the reserve because it will allow me to pursue a civilian career in research in addition to being a Marine. Besides serving the country I love, I chose to pursue service in the Corps for the same reason I chose to pursue my graduate work--because it seems like a highly challenging thing to do.

When I recently heard the Corps was looking for pilots I figured that might satisfy my technical interests as well as my service interests. I only bring up the question about active duty because I know that the only reserve pilots in the Corps are prior AD.

As I said in my OP, at the end of the day I will be perfectly satisfied with the opportunity to lead Marines. I simply figured I would ask.

have you thought about being a pilot in the other branches?

Quote Originally Posted by MunkyVsRobot View Post
    have you thought about being a pilot in the other branches?
    Sure, but the Marine Corps seemed to offer the greatest challenge.

It's not like I absolutely have my heart set on military aviation and nothing else is good enough. As I said in my OP, ANGLICO was (and is) my goal in the reserve, but I'm sure I could find a satisfying place in many MOS.

What I want is to be an officer of Marines. I can't do that in any other branch.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Good luck, and keep us posted by resurrecting this thread.

As many have said, just ask your OSO. The worst that happens is he/she says no.
    Air slots are available at TBS like any other MOS but like OCC it is the last ditch procurement option for the Marine Corps and therefore slot availability is highly variable and directly related to how many air contracts are needed after current air contracts are accounted for. They are competitive like anything else.

You may or may not be eligible for them because you're a reservist contract. OSO knows better than any of us.

Also, realize that air is an extremely long commitment. Opposite end of the spectrum from the reserves as far as that is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by gol3tron View Post
    It's not like I absolutely have my heart set on military aviation and nothing else is good enough. As I said in my OP, ANGLICO was (and is) my goal in the reserve, but I'm sure I could find a satisfying place in many MOS.
    If you aren't set on it, it's not the best field to be in. It's something you've gotta want, or about 90% of flight school won't seem "worth it."

Quote Originally Posted by UMDStudent24 View Post
    Also, realize that air is an extremely long commitment. Opposite end of the spectrum from the reserves as far as that is concerned.
    ^ What he said. I'm beginning year four and my 8-year active service commitment doesn't start until August. I won't be able to consider getting out until the 11 year, 3 month mark...

Just an update. I have completed OCS and just started TBS this week. Contracts are already starting to shift from air to ground and from ground to air. It seems that at this stage anything is possible. My motto has been "it doesn't hurt to ask."

In regard to wanting to be in flight school. If given the opportunity, I would be all over it. All I meant was that at the end of the day I'm just honored to be given the opportunity to serve.

SF

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gol3tron View Post
    Just an update. I have completed OCS and just started TBS this week. Contracts are already starting to shift from air to ground and from ground to air. It seems that at this stage anything is possible. My motto has been "it doesn't hurt to ask."

In regard to wanting to be in flight school. If given the opportunity, I would be all over it. All I meant was that at the end of the day I'm just honored to be given the opportunity to serve.

SF
    congrats Lt!

Thread Information