OCC Ground reserve to Active Duty Air
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OCC Ground reserve to Active Duty Air

Hello all,

I've just recently been accepted to OCC and ship 1 June 2015, with a contract for the ground reserve. Initially, I was thinking about going for artillery or ANGLICO, but it seems that the Corps is really wanting pilots these days. I've already taken the ASTB and did well (8/7/7), I have degrees in physics and mathematics, and my vision is excellent. I'm curious if it would be possible to attend OCS and TBS, but rather than attend training for a ground MOS per my contract, instead matriculate to flight school on active duty. I've spoken with a CH-53 pilot who tells me there are ground to air programs for active duty Marines, but what about reserve to active duty?

At the end of the day, I'll be happy to be a Marine leading Marines. Any input would be appreciated.

S/F

Similar Threads:

Talk to your OSO; I've heard of this happening, but when it comes time to list MOS preferences at TBS, there is VERY LITTLE opportunity to get an air contract for the Active duty officers. I've heard of situation where there was 1 air contract available and one guy got it; but its highly uncommon and highly unlikely. The fact that you're in the OCC-R program means that your chances are even slimmer. Don't bank on it is what i'm saying.

As far as going reserves to active duty. Not gonna happen; especially as an officer. So I guess this invalidates my previous post since Marine officers cannot be pilots in the reserves unless they served as pilots on active duty and moved into the reserves.

Quote Originally Posted by LCPL1341 View Post
    As far as going reserves to active duty. Not gonna happen; especially as an officer.
    That's really what I was wondering, i.e. whether or not a reserve contract can be changed to an active duty contract during OCC, or during TBS. I'm not at all surprised that flight slots at TBS are highly competitive (from what I understand damn near everything at TBS is competitive). I will bring this up with my OSO.

Thank you for the advice!

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    LCPL1341 hit the nail on the head, to answer your question too.....No, your contract/obligation cannot be changed during OCC or TBS, it would have to be done with your OSO prior.

As far as I am aware right now, flight school seats are only being given to PLC Air contracts....ie. no one is getting flight school out of OCC or at TBS

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    No, your contract/obligation cannot be changed during OCC or TBS, it would have to be done with your OSO prior.
    Thanks for the gouge. This is exactly what I was looking for.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gol3tron View Post
    Thanks for the gouge. This is exactly what I was looking for.
    no worries, go talk with your OSO though if you can...my S2 may be a bit dated as this was the case in 2009 and 2013 when I put my PLC package together (again for the 3rd time). Alot of college grads going to OCC when I was going through were upset because they weren't getting any options for anything like us PLC guys were, OCC at that time was for Reserve seats only(think its the same still), no AD from OCC

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    Alot of college grads going to OCC when I was going through were upset because they weren't getting any options for anything like us PLC guys were, OCC at that time was for Reserve seats only
    As I understand it, OCC is no longer restricted to reserve officer candidates, as I had the option of choosing active duty when I contracted prior to going to the selection board. However, I have heard from both my OSO in addition to a Marine officer at the local NROTC battalion that OCC is highly competitive for active duty contracts in general, as they end up a catch-all for post-graduate officer candidates as well as recycled PLC attendees.

Highly competitive applies to ANYTHING regarding officers. There is no wiggle-room anywhere. Good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Highly competitive applies to ANYTHING regarding officers.
    Roger that, Master Sergeant! That is part of the appeal!

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gol3tron View Post
    As I understand it, OCC is no longer restricted to reserve officer candidates, as I had the option of choosing active duty when I contracted prior to going to the selection board. However, I have heard from both my OSO in addition to a Marine officer at the local NROTC battalion that OCC is highly competitive for active duty contracts in general, as they end up a catch-all for post-graduate officer candidates as well as recycled PLC attendees.
    ok, good to know....they must have changed it back recently then

Everyone pretty much hit the nail on the head. If you go OCC-R, you're locked into that reserve contract assuming you complete OCS. You'll proceed immediately to TBS, then MOS school, and finally your reserve unit.

is it just me or do people not realize that decisions have consequences? so many people on here ask how hard is it to go reserve to AD or i have a felony i wanted to be a Marine since i was a fetus can i still join. people you make decisions you have to live with whatever the reprecussions of said decision is there isnt always a redo button.

the Op decided he wanted to be reserves for some reason sorry pal but right now reserves to AD isnt really a thing they are trying to get people out at the cyclic rate they dont need you and in all reality until we go back to war they dont want to the reserves will take you because you are cheaper than the AD counter part. sucks to quantify it like that but it is true.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Munky---it isn't just you----People do in fact realize that actions have consequences. But two things happen. 1. They do the actions anyway, as that seemed more important at the time. And 2. They always think an exception might be made for them later, as in getting into the military, or into college, or whatever the case may be. Surely the consequences don't follow THEM the rest of their lives? is the prevailing mindset. Hence all the questions here.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    The other thing that's very common is referring to a conscious choice to do something bad, as a "mistake", like hitting an O instead of a T on a keyboard. A simple "mistake", which should be forgiven a week or two later.

Thread Information